Johnny Marr releases The Best of

I've been listening on Spotify and now I will have to buy it for the Demos. Hi Hello and Speak Out Reach Out demos are fantastic!
Hi Hello I might like a bit more than the final version. It just has a certain something.

The Answer really rocks. Great tune.

I listened to this because I like Jo Wiley. Marr mentions Morrissey a few times, mostly in relation to the genesis of Hand in Glove, and I thought his tone was affectionate, wry and loyal to the creative relationship they once had. The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that Marr went solo in hopes of a reconciliation with Morrissey. I would think the reluctance is more on Morrissey's side, just because it's all too painful to get over.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that Marr went solo in hopes of a reconciliation with Morrissey.
I think there possibly is a link, but I suspect your timeline is a bit back to front. According to interviews a lot of Johnny's early solo material was written during his final tour with The Cribs. It was his commitment to complete his obligation regarding this tour that led to the proposed Smiths reunion not happening. I might be barking up the wrong tree, but my hunch is at least a couple of those songs on The Messenger were originally written as potential new Smiths material, when it still seemed like the reunion might be actually happening, before Moz changed his mind and stopped answering the phone.

I think there possibly is a link, but I suspect your timeline is a bit back to front. According to interviews a lot of Johnny's early solo material was written during his final tour with The Cribs. It was his commitment to complete his obligation regarding this tour that led to the proposed Smiths reunion not happening. I might be barking up the wrong tree, but my hunch is at least a couple of those songs on The Messenger were originally written as potential new Smiths material, when it still seemed like the reunion might be actually happening, before Moz changed his mind and stopped answering the phone.
This. "New Town Velocity" in particular is extremely Smiths-like and would have been an excellent 'lure'.

I didn't express my thoughts very well there. I was really thinking of the period just before he released solo material. He left The Cribs in early 2011 and confirmed in April that year that he would be working on solo material for the next year or so. If prior commitments had prevented any Smiths' reunion in the past, he could have been signalling in good time for the 30th anniversary that he would be available. When that didn't materialise, he pressed on solo in 2013. It was really the coincidence of his 10th solo anniversary with the 40 years of Morrissey that struck me.

Looking forward to the Orchestral shows in Manchester, looks like there's a lot of interest as the Friday night has sold out now.

Plausible as Johnny has said he never shows up to a situation unprepared. He also said it wasn’t just the shows he was interested in but the songwriting. If Morrissey had been amenable, Johnny would have sent him demos as the next step. Morrissey shut that down for some unfathomable reason.

Endless promotion by Johnny is paying off.
I swear every time I go online I see another interview with Johnny promoting his new book and record, on both sides of the Atlantic, or doing a signing session or radio appearance - the guy is relentless. I'm sure if Morrissey put even half as much effort into promoting his own records it would have massive benefits for him.

I swear every time I go online I see another interview with Johnny promoting his new book and record, on both sides of the Atlantic, or doing a signing session or radio appearance - the guy is relentless. I'm sure if Morrissey put even half as much effort into promoting his own records it would have massive benefits for him.

All those signings too, giving it that personal touch. There was a four-hour wait for autographs at Rough Trade and he thanked every person at the end of the line for waiting. A kind gesture like that makes a fan for life.

All those signings too, giving it that personal touch. There was a four-hour wait for autographs at Rough Trade and he thanked every person at the end of the line for waiting. A kind gesture like that makes a fan for life.

He’s also sold out one of the two nights of his Orchestral gigs at the new Manchester venue Aviva Studios which has a capacity of 5000, i’ve got tickets for the Friday, it’s going to be fascinating to see what he plays.

He’s also sold out one of the two nights of his Orchestral gigs at the new Manchester venue Aviva Studios which has a capacity of 5000, i’ve got tickets for the Friday, it’s going to be fascinating to see what he plays.

In one of his interviews he mentioned touring this internationally due to the immense response. Sounds very ambitious.

In one of his interviews he mentioned touring this internationally due to the immense response. Sounds very ambitious.

It looks like supporting other bands was part of a bigger strategy as his album is number 6 in the mid weeks, which is pretty good for a best of album and he’s also almost sold out Hammersmith Apollo months ahead of the gig which he wouldn’t have done a couple of years ago.

It looks like supporting other bands was part of a bigger strategy as his album is number 6 in the mid weeks, which is pretty good for a best of album and he’s also almost sold out Hammersmith Apollo months ahead of the gig which he wouldn’t have done a couple of years ago.

He’s got some very smart people around him, that’s for sure. He’s working not just in music, but now books, radio, movies and TV.

It seems that there is a finite amount of combined commercial success that S Morrissey and J Marr are allowed..
When Morrissey had what was probably his biggest success to date in 2004, Marr had only recently released his commercially disastrous Healers nonsense.
With Marr now in 2023 achieving unprecedented success (airplay hits, career best sales, universal critical acclaim, selling out large venues etc), Morrissey's stock literally couldn't be any lower.

It seems that there is a finite amount of combined commercial success that S Morrissey and J Marr are allowed..
When Morrissey had what was probably his biggest success to date in 2004, Marr had only recently released his commercially disastrous Healers nonsense.
With Marr now in 2023 achieving unprecedented success (airplay hits, career best sales, universal critical acclaim, selling out large venues etc), Morrissey's stock literally couldn't be any lower.

Yes. But with all of his ‘success’, one of them will always be just Johnny Marr.

Having said that. I’m looking forward to this orchestral thing. Something some of us wished Morrissey would have done by now. Though I guess he feels he never needed to.

Back
Top Bottom