Lyrics Help Please!

Meths is the lowest of the low drinks-wise.

I don't know how to explain it, but you can get pissed on meths or use it to strip wallpaper. And it's v. dangerous.

It's what you drink when you are in the gutter.

Meths is methylated spirit, or in layman's terms spoiled ethanol mixed with methanol. For an apt illustation of how low you'd have to stoop to be a meths drinker, watch 'Withnail and I'. There is a drinking game people have invented to accompany the film (you'd be mad to try it) which involves attempting to match Withnail drink for drink. I believe a shot of meths is the replacement for the moment Withnail drinks lighter fluid, the latter being too dangerous:

Marwood: Not even the wankers on the site would drink that. That's worse than meths.
Withnail: Nonsense. This is a far superior drink to meths. The wankers don't drink it because they can't afford it.
Withnail: [having just drunk a bottle of lighter fluid] Got any more?
Marwood: No. I have nothing.
Withnail: Liar. What's in your toolbox.
Marwood: Nothing.
Withnail: Liar. You've got antifreeze.
Marwood: You bloody fool. You should never mix your drinks.

I realise it's over-quoted by the student population, but it remains an awesome film, and judging by the title of a certain Morrissey album, one he likes too.

You know, I used to think this said "with mess on their beds". God knows how!

You know, I used to think this said "with mess on their beds". God knows how!

Now I can confess that I thought he said "maths on their breasts" :eek: But again, I'm not a native-speaker, I can always use it as an excuse...

Assistance please:
What does he mean in Sister I'm a Poet ~
"with meths on their breath?"
Menthol cigarettes? Methamphetamines? Method acting?

http://www.songmeanings.net/ was not a big help in this case but usually its a decent place to see what the hell is going on in a song when you do not have a clue or want to see what other people think.

Back
Top Bottom