Meat is Murder has not aged well

I think it does sound a little dated but not in the way 'bored' is suggesting.
I only got into The Smiths & Morrissey seriously in around 1998/1999 & when I listen to Meat Is Murder these days, I get a very strong whiff of Manchester's Star & Garter circa 1999/2000. All those pretty girls that I was too shy to talk to; still being able to smoke indoors; the videogames in the bar etc etc.

So yes, dated; of a time but no less great for that.

On the other hand, I used to say Strangeways was the best album ever made but I listened to it recently & couldn't remember what it was I loved about it.

Last edited:
it has only aged as a fine wine should.

Great answer.

I think MiM sounds very well, I cannot find anything to dated it.
Its lyrics are actual and the melodies as actual as lyrics. I don't know how this member said that, but I confess I'm disappointed I always thought Smiths and Morrissey's albums like timeless works.

of course it sounds dated....It's 24 -0r so years old!!!!
It was an unbeatable album for It's time......but , "Dated" or not, It is still a CLASSIC album!!!
Maybe music has changed a lot since it was released , and we have since just became accustomed to new sounds and recording Quality( I have a DVD of the Smiths live, in 1985, which sounds "Not as good" as I remember the live gigs... but Live, the Smiths were UP THERE with the best....at the time....).
The Smiths were the best thing to come out of the Eighties......or was that Kajagoogoo .....? Admit it, Most albums released back then were SHITE....Does ANYBODY still listen to their Howard jones/Nik kershaw Lps, and say "Ahh.....they still sound Fresher, and More Exciting than the Smiths" ( And I won't even fecking mention The Thompson twins ( oops....just did...).
Anyone for Sade, Chaka Khan, or Spandau Ballet??? All TOP sellers around the same time ( And Paul Young....).
Lets start a new debate....Is "No Parlez" Dated????
Feck this!!! I am off to find the Meat is murder disc, and PLAY the Bastich!!!
LOUD!!!
Cheers Dears....
Dave.

Like someone mentioned, I think the production on the smiths debut is the most dated.

It's my overall favorite album, I feel like it's the real "guitar" record... You can hear the tone of the guitars more, its not as obscured by reverb and chorus. They totally outdid themselves on every level. Headmaster, Nowhere Fast, I Want The One I Can't Have, Barbarism, That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore, and especially Well I Wonder... these guitar(and bass/drum) parts are so awesome it just blows my mind. And the lyrics equal the music.

The only track I do skip is HSIN?, because it doesn't belong on the album, and it ruins the flow of songs for me.

"On the day that your mentality catches up with your biology... come 'round..."
________
Suzuki T350

Last edited:
I think it is as amazing today as it was in the 80's. I have yet to tire of it.

first smiths album i fell in love with. i had heard the smiths and the queen is dead before but they didn't impress me back then. it was when i heard the opening of the headmaster ritual that i became a smiths fan - and i still think it's their best album. it's not flawless, i think i'll never get rusholme ruffians and what she said and i usually press stop after barbarism, i also skip how soon is now... ok what's left then? overall i think it has more great songs than the other albums.

if there's anything that could be seen as outdated or typically 80s it's the drum sound, which is kindof "bigger" than in their other records.

Tags
80's 80's 80's i want you meat is dinner
Back
Top Bottom