"Morrissey – from pioneer to pariah" on P3 (Swedish radio documentary - February 14, 2023)

Released today Feb 14th 2023 on channel P3 (Swedish national radio):
https://sverigesradio.se/avsnitt/morrissey-fran-pionjar-till-paria

full

Info (translated with google translate):

Morrissey - from pioneer to pariah (62 min)
This is the story of an outspoken indie pioneer who went from worshiped to cancelled.

The summer of 1992 has been unusually rainy in London, but on Saturday 8 August the sun shines on the 30,000 concertgoers in Finsbury Park. The operatic voice booms as Morrissey enters the stage. His blue jeans are quite tight and the shiny gold shirt is unbuttoned all the way to the navel. But the audience is moderately impressed.

The cult-declared ska-pop band Madness is behind the Madstock festival, and Morrissey has been invited at the last minute. The former The Smiths frontman therefore does not have very many supporters in front of the stage. Instead, the audience this day consists largely of far-right skinheads. But it's only during the second song that the mood gets really bad. Because suddenly Morrissey picks up a British flag from the stage floor, which he dances around with and sweeps over his shoulders. Out in the audience, boos are mixed with homophobic slurs, and objects are thrown onto the stage. The skinheads don't think it's appropriate that the queer Morrissey wraps himself in their Union Jack.

The gig leads to night-black headlines in the British music press, but the focus is not on the fact that Morrissey was heckled and subjected to homophobia. Instead, the articles are about Morrissey's flirtation with right-wing nationalist aesthetics having gone too far.

P3 Music documentary about Morrissey is the story of the Brit who in the 80s revolutionized pop music and became known for always kicking upwards, but who in recent years has been accused of the opposite.

The documentary was made by Joanna Korbutiak in January 2023
Producer Siri Hill
Executive producer Hanna Frelin
Technician Fredrik Nilsson.

Cast: Andres Lokko, Jasmine Rhya Rosenlund and Lovisa Sandberg.

The audio clips in the documentary come from Top of The Pops (BBC 1983), The One Show (BBC 2009), Granada Report (1984), Jools Holland (BBC 1995), Guitar Interactive Magazine (2013), AP (1984), Radio X ( 2018), Larry King (2015), Front Row (BBC Radio 2009), The Importance of Being Morrissey (2002), the concert film Wolverhampton 88, the Rolling Rockvideos and Sam Esty Rayner Youtube accounts.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nice if some journalists somewhere are picking up on the homophobia.

You must mean creating the homophobia.

Morrissey + Homophobia??? Did somebody just create this out of thin air????

Minus one or two early Smiths gigs having some rough/tough attendees (and them not liking Morrissey's 'persona'), this isn't something that has been mentioned by him before, and just doesn't seem like something that he's treated as a big issue in the past.

Minus one or two early Smiths gigs having some rough/tough attendees (and them not liking Morrissey's 'persona'), this isn't something that has been mentioned by him before, and just doesn't seem like something that he's treated as a big issue in the past.

No, Juan. Someone went through his press cuttings & then posted the evidence.

No, Juan. Someone went through his press cuttings & then posted the evidence.

Okay. Here's what I mean....

Morrissey has transcended sexuality.

I am not homophobic, and probably the biggest influence/reason for that IS Morrissey. Being a huge Morrissey fan most of my life, I've been blessed with being able to see multiple-sides of people's lives in his stories/lyrics, which no other artist (mostly) has been able to paint so well. Much of his lyrical content has been written so that it was 'genderless' and accessible to all who wanted it to mean something for THEM.

The guy who ran Rough Trade said about The Smiths something like 'Morrissey was speaking to everybody, both genders. And he of course was talking to gay people 'in the closet'. But, he didn't say "come out!", he said "appreciate this, for this is who I am".

The fact is some people have always hated Moz and always will, regardless of what he does or says. Most have uninformed opinions and are not worth worrying over. You'd have to be the blandest ever manufactured twat bell-end to get those people to like you.

It's just lamentable that so many 'journalists' are incapable of providing a balanced and fair article or review. Somehow Moz was portrayed as the arch villain of the Finsbury Park fiasco and not much was mentioned about the fact he and his band was physically assaulted by absolute scumbag cretins. And suddenly it was ok for Ginger Spice to wear a union jack or for Select Magazine to show a union jack flag with "yanks go home" on the front cover. Or for Henry Rollins to talk about how much he hated Moz. When did Moz ever say he hated anyone? (er apart from after the Joyce court case maybe). Two-faced fake, lazy, insulting journalism.

I am not homophobic, and probably the biggest influence/reason for that IS Morrissey. Being a huge Morrissey fan most of my life, I've been blessed with being able to see multiple-sides of people's lives in his stories/lyrics, which no other artist (mostly) has been able to paint so well. Much of his lyrical content has been written so that it was 'genderless' and accessible to all who wanted it to mean something for THEM.

The guy who ran Rough Trade said about The Smiths something like 'Morrissey was speaking to everybody, both genders. And he of course was talking to gay people 'in the closet'. But, he didn't say "come out!", he said "appreciate this, for this is who I am".

That's a different issue.

He was putting gay imagery in his work all the time - but - yeah - he absolutely wanted people to take what they need from it.

That's how most gay people experience culture - esp someone of Morrissey's age - they have to find themselves in work that's about straight people.

"Whatever the opposite to racist is, that's what I am".
- Morrissey

How come ya never see this quote bein' used?
I never heard it before.

It's nice to have some up-to-date news. When are going to cover the court case?

Yes the idiot above you just did that. Thin air is the latest source of bullshit and it's a source that never runs out. The grift that keeps on giving if you will ;)

Do not bother engaging with this insanity. Tis a losing game for all.

Morrissey isn't a racist, he's just an idiot. A cultured and well spoken idiot, but an idiot nevertheless.
Why an idiot? Moz says what he thinks, which is very rare these days. Sure, maybe some of his statements have not been fully informed. Maybe he complains too much and maybe he's impossible to please. But that doesn't make him an idiot. What gives us the right to crucify an artist (or anyone)? Continuing the biblical theme (I have no interest in religion but I'm not uneducated either):

Why do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own? How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me remove that splinter in your eye,' when you do not even notice the wooden beam in your own eye? You hypocrite!

It makes me smile sadly to see people attack an artist who has created and released so much brilliant music to the world. While we sit passively and poke holes in everything. The Good News is nobody gives a flying f what you (or I) think.

This was a surprisingly good programme, although they separate the art from the artist by only quoting the same old, same old interviews (the Chinese, McDonalds, For Britain...) and not for example his songs about police violence (Ganglord, Who will protect us from the police) or other "leftist" topics (one interviewee claims Morrissey has always been so far to the left and that it's incomprehensible he should be anything but...! She clearly didn't get the IBEH memo). This is interesting since a person interviewed in the programme says "maybe some people can separate art from the artist and therefore continue liking Morrissey, but I can't" - seems a bit contradictory, doesn't it?

Anyway, they have a quote from the Dodwell interview at the end - "walk away, bake a cake" :) - so I'd say it's more descriptive than condemning, which is nice for a change (it's only really the one interviewee who succumbs to middle class whining - I had expected the whole show to be in that vein).

Sadly they don't play any of the new songs, mainly old classics and some Smiths.

The fact is some people have always hated Moz and always will, regardless of what he does or says. Most have uninformed opinions and are not worth worrying over. You'd have to be the blandest ever manufactured twat bell-end to get those people to like you.

It's just lamentable that so many 'journalists' are incapable of providing a balanced and fair article or review. Somehow Moz was portrayed as the arch villain of the Finsbury Park fiasco and not much was mentioned about the fact he and his band was physically assaulted by absolute scumbag cretins. And suddenly it was ok for Ginger Spice to wear a union jack or for Select Magazine to show a union jack flag with "yanks go home" on the front cover. Or for Henry Rollins to talk about how much he hated Moz. When did Moz ever say he hated anyone? (er apart from after the Joyce court case maybe). Two-faced fake, lazy, insulting journalism.

For a guy who isn't 'that popular', he certainly attracts a lot of negative press...yet they're always just rehashing the same crap. Per these carbon-copy opinion articles - even this thing about Sam Smith is simply 'Morrissey the Extremist' at work again, he's not musically significant today even though his past was filled with greatness, he's insanely right-wing, a racist, I heard he's becoming a diesel mechanic, blah blah blah.

Maybe there weren't enough articles about BOT not being released, so 'somebody' made these recent comments and now BOT will get mentioned a few more times - Consequence of Sound, AP, RS, etc. Morrissey (or the Morrissey Company) plays these journalists like violins then writes songs/commentary about how bad they are, but there certainly could be other agendas at work here - more so from Morrissey's camp than the writers.

In many ways, Morrissey is not the victim in this game with the press, he's the victor.

It doesn't matter what the haters think. Morrissey still King. And will always be the Icon he is.

The guy who ran Rough Trade said about The Smiths something like 'Morrissey was speaking to everybody, both genders. And he of course was talking to gay people 'in the closet'. But, he didn't say "come out!", he said "appreciate this, for this is who I am"
: You obviously haven't had people screaming "f*****!" at you for a majority of your life.
Consider yourself lucky.

: You obviously haven't had people screaming "f*****!" at you for a majority of your life.
Consider yourself lucky.

To narrow down my point, let's just say that people that go to Morrissey shows shouldn't have a problem with homosexuals. People who love Morrissey's music shouldn't have that issue either.

Another thing is that the 'journalists' are making this about Morrissey and division. Morrissey has united way more than he has divided. He truly is good (yet restless) on the inside and he's a very, very good artist. I can't possibly see how he 'inspires hate'. Regardless of BOT's eventuality, I think he can move forward - in positive ways - both personally and musically. Like many have said here, he is capable and can endure. Someone also mentioned how 'young' he is. :)

I grew up on a dairy farm, did you? I thought that's where you were coming from with the whole FARMER! (F*****!) thing. :) Yeah buddy, you can bet your boots they've shouted FARMER! at me before. Aww shucks, some folks just ain't right!

Last edited:
To narrow down my point, let's just say that people that go to Morrissey shows shouldn't have a problem with homosexuals. People who love Morrissey's music shouldn't have that issue either.

Another thing is that the 'journalists' are making this about Morrissey and division. Morrissey has united way more than he has divided. He truly is good (yet restless) on the inside and he's a very, very good artist. I can't possibly see how he 'inspires hate'. Regardless of BOT's eventuality, I think he can move forward - in positive ways - both personally and musically. Like many have said here, he is capable and can endure. Someone also mentioned how 'young' he is. :)

I grew up on a dairy farm, did you? I thought that's where you were coming from with the whole FARMER! (F*****!) thing. :) Yeah buddy, you can bet your boots they've shouted FARMER! at me before. Aw shucks, some folks just ain't right!
Great post. Moz advocates hatred of many things - of war, of the meat industry, of human greed and exploitation of others. But hatred of other human beings? No.

Well, I've listened to it and can exclusively inform you all that it's basically an account of Morrissey's career plus some Ueber-fan informing us that she used to looove him but then he became a racist and she can now no longer looove him. 💔

Well, I've listened to it and can exclusively inform you all that it's basically an account of Morrissey's career plus some Ueber-fan informing us that she used to lurve him but then he became a racist and she can now no longer lurve him. 💔
He's a witch. I saw him flying with the devil. Burn him!

Back
Top Bottom