Morrissey Central "SHAKE THE HAND THAT SHOOK THE HAND" (January 5, 2024)

Meetings most prized, when the
pleasure and privilege was mine:
pressing palms, exuding charms;
times gone …
by Morrissey

full

Joan Collins and Anthony Newley.

1.Anthony Newley
2.Richard Attenborough
3.Lou Reed
4.Peter Wyngarde
5.Nancy Sinatra
6.David Bowie
7.Nico
8.Tom Jones
9.Marianne Faithfull
10.Richard Davalos
11.Eve Arden
12.Dick Gregory
13.Joan Collins
14.Cliff Richard
15.Luchiani Pavarotti
16.Ennio Morricone
17.Pat Phoenix
18.Mick Ronson
19.Iggy Pop
20.Martin Sheen
21.Pete Townshend
22.Mick Jagger
23.Jeff Beck
24.Al Martino
25.Victoria Wood
26.Joel Fabiani
27.Patti Smith
28.William Shatner
29.Rita Tushingham
30.Alan Bennett
31.David Bailey
32.Mel Gibson
33.Elaine Stritch
34.Vanessa Redgrave
35.Buffy Sainte-Marie
36.Paul Simon
37.Johnny Carson
38.Cathy McGowan
39.Kenny Lynch
40. Eartha Kitt
41.Jackson Browne
42.Joni Mitchell
43.Charles Pierce
44.David Johansen
45.Johnny Thunders
46.Mavis Nicholson
47.Leee Black Childers
48.Lauren Bacall
49.Dora Bryan
50.Joan Sims
51.Melvyn Bragg
52.Marc Bolan

Joel Fabiani and Peter Wyngarde in Department S

Last edited by a moderator:
The list just seems to be a list of people Moz met that he felt a bit awed by - even though he slagged some of them off.

As a boxing fan Moz seems to be referencing John L Sullivan.

Sullivan, along with a few baseball players, like Mike "King" Kelly, became the first real media superstars in U.S. history in the late 19th century. Vaudeville entertainers sang a song called, "Let me Shake the Hand that Shook the Hand of John L. Sullivan."

I think it's complicated. He obviously worshipped her but she was ringside when things were going pear-shaped with Johnny.
Sandie and Morrissey were still close friends up to and in including the 'Viva Hate' sessions, which she attended. Maybe she got a bit too close to the bone in her autobiography:

' Johnny is fairly easy to get along with, but Morrissey can be exasperating. He seemed never to have learnt the art of friendship, and I felt desperately sad for him, imprisoned in his self-imposed solitude... From where I was standing, all Morrisseys' problems started with himself - his insecurities and they way they made him behave.

Some great extracts here, and well worth a read:https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/moz-in-sandie-shaw-book.63341/

Just sorting a Dora Bryan wiki, found a Morrissey quote:

"Dora Bryan, whom I knew personally in the late 80s, and who also died in recent weeks, had pitifully slim attention from the British news media, yet her talents were a treasured staple of British life throughout the 1950s, 1960s and beyond. Dora had agreed to introduce The Smiths onstage at the London Palladium in 1986, but at the last minute her agent asked for a fee which we, The Smiths, just couldn’t afford."

Meetings most prized, when the
pleasure and privilege was mine:
pressing palms, exuding charms;
times gone …
by Morrissey

full

Joan Collins and Anthony Newley.

1.Anthony Newley
2.Richard Attenborough
3.Lou Reed
4.Peter Wyngarde
5.Nancy Sinatra
6.David Bowie
7.Nico
8.Tom Jones
9.Marianne Faithfull
10.Richard Davalos
11.Eve Arden
12.Dick Gregory
13.Joan Collins
14.Cliff Richard
15.Luchiani Pavarotti
16.Ennio Morricone
17.Pat Phoenix
18.Mick Ronson
19.Iggy Pop
20.Martin Sheen
21.Pete Townshend
22.Mick Jagger
23.Jeff Beck
24.Al Martino
25.Victoria Wood
26.Joel Fabiani
27.Patti Smith
28.William Shatner
29.Rita Tushingham
30.Alan Bennett
31.David Bailey
32.Mel Gibson
33.Elaine Stritch
34.Vanessa Redgrave
35.Buffy Sainte-Marie
36.Paul Simon
37.Johnny Carson
38.Cathy McGowan
39.Kenny Lynch
40. Eartha Kitt
41.Jackson Browne
42.Joni Mitchell
43.Charles Pierce
44.David Johansen
45.Johnny Thunders
46.Mavis Nicholson
47.Leee Black Childers
48.Lauren Bacall
49.Dora Bryan
50.Joan Sims
51.Melvyn Bragg
52.Marc Bolan

Joel Fabiani and Peter Wyngarde in Department S

It’s nice when a person meets their heroes
But this post , for me , is more evidence that morrissey post 50s is a husk of a human. Just like what his autobiography showed

I mean shite , the man has been famous since he was 23 of course he is going to meet famous people .
It’s kinda pathetic to mention it even.
Not to mention a grown man in his 60s who thinks this is either a boast or news .must have the most hollow of lives
Nobody cares about this stuff when they grow up . You would think he would see past it by now. All his pop culture stuff was great in the smiths and early solo career. Because it was in its place , he was about deeper things then . Now he just posts these stupid ass brags and says dumb Jimmy Dore type conspiracy rubbish .
By the way it’s obvious he sends copy to Dodwell tells her what to write . So from what she writes we can tell how he wants to be seen . The tragic part is he WAS all these good things she says about him at one point . But that 30 years ago

Anthony Newley's soundtrack for "Willy Wonka" is a classic and his character in "Sweet November" was adorable.

And I'm sure they were all honoured to have met you. If only twitter had existed then, they'd all be on it saying "you'll never guess who I met last night!!!" Lol
Indeed. The pleasure and privilege was theirs.

Can I just tell, again, of the time I met Bono? We were a group of friends in Antibes and the others were getting autographs, and then Bono turned towards me and asked where I wanted him to sign, and I said I'm good, thank you!!! The look on his face :lbf:

Please!!!! God, it's not long before Moz sings the whole album, :Quarry That was the best idea in recent times! It has some amazing gems. I can't wait to hear it Camdem, I'm not sorry, lazy, Irish blood, let me kiss you. Ahh please! What a beauty. I want to ask Moz to do the same with his supreme work Vauxhall and i, with "Arsenal" and etc etc

It’s nice when a person meets their heroes
But this post , for me , is more evidence that morrissey post 50s is a husk of a human. Just like what his autobiography showed

I mean shite , the man has been famous since he was 23 of course he is going to meet famous people .
It’s kinda pathetic to mention it even.
Not to mention a grown man in his 60s who thinks this is either a boast or news .must have the most hollow of lives
Nobody cares about this stuff when they grow up . You would think he would see past it by now. All his pop culture stuff was great in the smiths and early solo career. Because it was in its place , he was about deeper things then . Now he just posts these stupid ass brags and says dumb Jimmy Dore type conspiracy rubbish .
By the way it’s obvious he sends copy to Dodwell tells her what to write . So from what she writes we can tell how he wants to be seen . The tragic part is he WAS all these good things she says about him at one point . But that 30 years ago

You must be fun at parties.

Lauren Bacall is one of the few on the list that I would consider a real star. I'd like to know where he met her. This look at her appartment in the same building where John Lennon lived and was murdered is interesting.

I’m sure she was a former resident of Morrissey’s first LA home.

Can I just tell, again, of the time I met Bono? We were a group of friends in Antibes and the others were getting autographs, and then Bono turned towards me and asked where I wanted him to sign, and I said I'm good, thank you!!! The look on his face :lbf:
Brilliant :ROFLMAO:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom