So, let's say Morrissey gets BOT back... now what?

SuedeMoz

So let's be optimistic and say that Morrissey gets BOT back... there are still issues...

He still can't use Veronica as-is... does he remove it/remove Miley's vocals/re-record it... what?

There doesn't seem to be any point in buying back BOT unless he thinks he can release it. How? Does he seek or already have a new record deal? Does this finally open the door to self-release?

What is the path forward for BOT? I'm curious what others think.

I originally envisioned this as a poll but there are too many questions.

Last edited:
The three scenarios in my head are

1) he removes Miley from Veronica, gets someone to do her vocals and then it finally releases from Capitol
2) He doesn't remove Miley from Veronica, he buys the album or Capitol just says screw it and gives it to him, and he goes to Columbia records to get it released
3) he removes Miley from Veronica, gets the album back, and goes record company shopping

I was just musing the same on the interview thread, where I said:

Independently releasing this album soon could work especially because, as others have pointed out, of all the publicity, unintentional or otherwise it's already attracted. That would be an interesting experiment for the Morrissey camp, probably involving an uncomfortable learning curve to make sure all aspects are covered. Morrissey has good music business experience though, and contacts. Maybe then for WMTWD, a record company would sweep in again, or they'd stick with diy once they got the knack, if BOT sold well and got picked up, especially in charts?

Doing without a label isn't exactly a walk in the park, and still needs sizeable inputs, such as numerous copyright tasks
and extra promotion focus

Suddenly though, prospects are quite exciting :ahhh:

Last edited:
I hope he releases it independently, perhaps through the Etienne label? I've just read an old article with the following quote: "Whatever happens in the world, music is for eternity. It's a great pleasure and very healthy to produce and create, and I'd love to expand Etienne and sign up music that counts." (https://www.grammy.com/news/morrissey-talks-new-album-future-etienne-records) I wonder if he's still interested in doing that?

Knowing Morrissey he will go looking for a big record label again despite having fallen out with just about all of them now doh:

Like Morrissey said the record was of its time and that time has passed. He has moved on creatively. There may be a point when he does a retrospective compilation of the period which he tends to do and he includes the album then as part of a release but for now he is pushing on and not looking back. I think he secretly likes the idea of having unreleased gems to be released posthumously so everyone can say how poorly he was treated in life.

Last edited:
I would say he has resigned himself to the fact that Miley has to be removed and that he has to pay back his advance. I cannot see Capitol now putting the record out, he has accused them of too much.

So, then we have an album with no blockers and Morrissey is free to move it forward. I think we are in the same situation as his other unreleased album. He will want a label, we will want him to self release.

The frustrating thing here is that I don’t think Morrissey sees that he CAN be a success without a label. He just needs to commit to it. He can put a tour together, he can get TV and the music press will put him in their websites. He doesn’t need Miley, he doesn’t need any new promotional channels, it is all there for him. He just needs to avoid controversy……

Re-record 'Veronica' with Rick Astley on backing vocals. Then spend another few years unsuccessfully shopping it to major labels.

Maybe Terrance could fly a plane over Columbia? Demanding that they (quite naturally) release it.

Another mad scenario…

Miley records her own version of Veronica, and Columbia begs Morrissey for the rights to release it, but Morrissey’s asking price is more than they can ever afford.

Given the way things have been going, all of this will happen and then Iggy Pop will take issue with Ha Ha Harlem. Remove those vocals too!

He will get it back, that's basically what he was saying, isn't it? This is a move forward, until this, he was saying the LP was held hostage
The fact he admits he can get it back, hopefully, means he is gonna get it back. I expect he is trying to see if another company will buy it from Capital and give him some scratch . I am not sure if that is going to happen. The guy who leaked the emails is meant to be a nice guy
very much pro M, before all this. From what the wife's friends say, they were all disgusted he lied and put the picture up of the lady and put her blast. That is the only reason he did this. I heard M is pretty much never gonna be signed by Capital USA/UK or BMG again. I do not know if that is true, I am only saying what I heard. People come and go in record companies but it is hard to think any top label will sign him know.
He should sign to Cherry records in the UK or something like that

Print up a few hundred copies, sign and sell them at shows, make $$$$.

No, he prefers signing other people's records remember? :lbf:

May you please elaborate...
I am not caught up in this email situation.
It seems a guy called Scott Rodgers leaked some private emails. This guy was apparently some kind of manager for Morrissey. So because of this guy's behavior, no major labels/record companies want to deal with Morrissey anymore. Even if it was the manager (Scott Rodger) who f*cked up...

It seems a guy called Scott Rodgers leaked some private emails. This guy was apparently some kind of manager for Morrissey. So because of this guy's behavior, no major labels/record companies want to deal with Morrissey anymore. Even if it was the manager (Scott Rodger) who f*cked up...
Though it wasn't :)

I don't get this logic at all. Was it his manager who's been spouting off (false) conspiracy theories about why Capitol is not releasing BOT for the last year? No, that was all Morrissey (b/c he wouldn't properly handle the MC issue). Or the way he publicly slags off his own record company when they won't release a single he wants or he doesn't get the chart position he thinks he deserves. Do you think any of this behavior might make him undesirable to record companies?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom