The Geek Test

Picture12.png

I agree with you to an extent. I embrace my geekiness. :)

Of course, that's the standard defence. But why should you have to think of it as your "geekishness" at all? It's just a vile and pointless concept. Not only does it reek of self-complacent idiocy and brash anti-intellectualism, perhaps even worse, it conflates very important things (like reading books voluntarily) with very silly things (like a propensity to visit Star Trek conventions).

The whole attitude behind them is just so vile and offensive, I refuse to concede its cultural currency by adopting the standard defensive/subversive tactic of embracing it. Even if you embrace it, you are taking along a whole series of irrelevant and false implications, and implicitly accepting a position of cultural marginalisation. I don't go to effing Star Trek Conventions, I don't wear multi-coloured pens in my breast pocket, I couldn't solve a Rubik's cube to save my life and I absolutely f***ing refuse to accept subjection to a label that implies that I am likely to do any of these things because I read books about history on friday evenings. I don't expect to be tolerated for reading books, I expect to be respected for it. Well, not that I have anything to actually complain about, personally - I've never been called a geek or a nerd by anyone, except the sort of people who would unhestitatingly apply it to themselves as well, but the point is the attitude behind and inherent in the concepts. These things actually do shape how people think. People who use these terms without identifying with them deserve to be ridiculed.

cheers

6.50888%....I'm a poser.

I'm a "Geek", according to the test! :thumb: Personally, I think that I should have gotten a higher score but, eh, it is what it is.

I am just about to e-mail the link to the test to my boyfriend. Judging by the questions that the quiz asks, his score should be off the charts! :lbf:

I am just about to e-mail the link to the test to my boyfriend. Judging by the questions that the quiz asks, his score should be off the charts! :lbf:

I sent the test to Mr. Anaesthesine, who scored in the mid-30s - a total geek. I'm kinda surprised, I thought he'd be a major geek, at the very least. :D

Back
Top Bottom