The Smiths to reunite for 2020 tour promoted by Live Nation?

A trusted source has sent the following:

Concert industry insiders, not authorized to speak publicly, say concert giant “Live Nation” has won the rights for the long-awaited Smiths reunion to happen next year. We know what you’re already singing to yourself (“stop me if you think that you’ve heard this one before”), but because dates and venues are already said to be in the “plotting stage,” this would indicate that a Morrissey-Marr reunion is closer than ever to becoming a reality. There’s no word yet on if all four original members will share the concert stage. Morrissey just completed his “California Son” tour. According to his website, Johnny Marr has no upcoming shows scheduled. Keep your fingers crossed and stay tuned.

Johnny Marr's Twitter response when asked regarding this story - Twitter (November 6, 2019), link via @ordinaryboy86:

Media coverage:
Related item:

Last edited:
hes that hard work that bozz has been with him for twenty years,jesse over ten years and the rest over five years,hardly the worst boss in the pop world.

Boz is actually closer to 30 years, Jesse joined 15 years ago when Alain fell ill during the Quarry tour and Matt has been around since Ringleader, so 13 years. Add to that 10 years for Gustavo (yes, he joined in 2009). Mando is the only one who's been in the band less than a decade (3 years)...

I mean, I agree that Morrissey probably isn't the easiest person to work with but apparently he also finished his 4th album with the same producer this year so it's obviously not as bad as some people make it out to be.

Funniest thread in a long long time on here, at least humour is still alive and well amidst all the bullshit being spouted on the fake outrage 'political' threads!

And yet, for some reason Morrissey manages to avoid these thousands of better guitar players and saddles himself with people like Boz (bog-standard pub-band level strummer) and Jesse (a f***ing embaressment to guitar players everywhere). I genuinly think he doesn't want anyone that talented on the stage alongside him, and is scared of anyone else getting any attention. Faceless nobodies out back, and His Majesty's Voice out front, being worshipped by the adoring fans. I can't see Morrissey willing to step back into a genuine equal band partnership again - his ego wouldn't allow it, not even for an enormous payout.

Exactly this, and if PuppetTroll had read Autobiography he'd have a better idea why the current musicians are so average.

Gifted guitarists like Johnny (Mozzer's own words, PuppetTroll) aren't just noticed by fans, they're "poached" by other bands for sessions. Morrissey was possessive, jealous and resentful as all hell about Marr working with anybody else - he described it in terms of 'promiscuity' and betrayal. How does he avoid the same thing happening again? Get a bloke from the Polecats, one from Camden Council and one session player who has built an entire reputation on being embarrassingly bad at his job. Bryan Ferry won't come calling for them any time soon.

Any reunion tour would last right up until Johnny goes into his dressing room on opening night, and discovers that Morrissey expects to dictate his choice of stage-wear each night, and has opted for a pair of bollock-squeezing speedos with 'Britain First' written across his chest in marker pen.
It should be written into a special contact for Mike Joyce and he would do it for the money!

And yet, for some reason Morrissey manages to avoid these thousands of better guitar players and saddles himself with people like Boz (bog-standard pub-band level strummer) and Jesse (a f***ing embaressment to guitar players everywhere). I genuinly think he doesn't want anyone that talented on the stage alongside him, and is scared of anyone else getting any attention. Faceless nobodies out back, and His Majesty's Voice out front, being worshipped by the adoring fans. I can't see Morrissey willing to step back into a genuine equal band partnership again - his ego wouldn't allow it, not even for an enormous payout.

Yeah I think being on stage with Marr now would highlight a chasmic discrepancy of creatively, energy, positivity and general feel good vibes, and most importantly, talent. all of which Marr has, and Morrissey once had, but has no more. Moz would be showed up for what he is, a has been, who’s lost all the ingredients that ever made him good.

Exactly this, and if PuppetTroll had read Autobiography he'd have a better idea why the current musicians are so average.

Gifted guitarists like Johnny (Mozzer's own words, PuppetTroll) aren't just noticed by fans, they're "poached" by other bands for sessions. Morrissey was possessive, jealous and resentful as all hell about Marr working with anybody else - he described it in terms of 'promiscuity' and betrayal. How does he avoid the same thing happening again? Get a bloke from the Polecats, one from Camden Council and one session player who has built an entire reputation on being embarrassingly bad at his job. Bryan Ferry won't come calling for them any time soon.
Bryan ferry is too busy dying his hair so he can think he looks good in his foxhunting red jacket, before tearing a defenceless animal apart.
Yeah, real cool guy.

would be career suicide for Marr to be on even the same continent as Steven Patrick right now. But if it happens, so be it. I won't be there. I will probably watch some mobile phone footage on Youtube tho

Yeah I think being on stage with Marr now would highlight a chasmic discrepancy of creatively, energy, positivity and general feel good vibes, and most importantly, talent. all of which Marr has, and Morrissey once had, but has no more. Moz would be showed up for what he is, a has been, who’s lost all the ingredients that ever made him good.

Are you being serious?

Tell me the great solo songs Johnny has produced. I can’t think of one. Sure, he’s a talented guitarist, but he’s flitted from one group to the next for the past 32 years, hardly setting the musical world alight. Morrissey, on the other hand, has had an extremely successful solo career & produced more than a few classic & memorable songs along the way. I have nothing against Marr, I love his work in The Smiths (though as a person he's a bit bland & right-on for my tastes) but I’m sure if we compare the record & ticket sales of the two, it would make Johnny look silly.

Are you being serious?

Tell me the great solo songs Johnny has produced. I can’t think of one. Sure, he’s a talented guitarist, but he’s flitted from one group to the next for the past 32 years, hardly setting the musical world alight. Morrissey, on the other hand, has had an extremely successful solo career & produced more than a few classic & memorable songs along the way. I have nothing against Marr, I love his work in The Smiths (though as a person he's a bit bland & right-on for my tastes) but I’m sure if we compare the record & ticket sales of the two, it would make Johnny look silly.

Totally agree with all you've said here.

Are you being serious?

You’re comparing the solo careers of a frontman of 40 years, with a guitarist. Pointless. But judge them in the respective disciplines, and Marr is way ahead in terms of the sound he’s creating. Morrissey was lauded for the creatively of his lyrics, and they’re shit now, bored, tired, unimaginative. Marr is still doing the biz with his guitar, like he always was, he’s prob even more creative and honed now. Morrissey has declined massively when it comes to putting words on paper.

You’re comparing the solo careers of a frontman of 40 years, with a guitarist. Pointless. But judge them in the respective disciplines, and Marr is way ahead in terms of the sound he’s creating. Morrissey was lauded for the creatively of his lyrics, and they’re shit now, bored, tired, unimaginative. Marr is still doing the biz with his guitar, like he always was, he’s prob even more creative and honed now. Morrissey has declined massively when it comes to putting words on paper.

You're so full of it.

Not only that, you'd have to be a complete idiot if you think that "Morrissey has declined massively when it comes to putting words on paper".

Go back and listen to Low In High School and World Peace Is None Of Your Business.

Johnny Marr will never write a song as good as Mountjoy, Neal Cassady Drops Dead, One Of Our Own, Home Is A Question Mark, My Love, I'd Do Anything For You, I Bury The Living, I Wish You Lonely, etc

Just saying: Morrissey has made a bigger name for himself all over the world than Johnny has. Sure, he’s a respected session guitarist, but really, a lot of his work is pretty bog-standard & uninspired compared to the brilliance he effortlessly produced as a young man in The Smiths. In my opinion, of course.

Back
Top Bottom