What song are you listening to right now?

The music and vocal melodies speak so much of yearning ( as the lyrics refer to the imagined defence of the realm ) and romanticism and I'm reminded of nothing so much as Edward Said in the linking of nationalism with romanticism ... Another superb exploration by the man ...

Last edited:

I'll never ever understand why Morrissey didn't lead off "YA" with this track or "Tomorrow" as the singles instead the boringly gimmickly music-hall numbers like " Fatty" and "Successful" and " Certain ". I hate to invoke the Elvis Costello comment about great titles but forgetting the rest of the lyrics but it comes to mind when looking at those three latter songs ...

I love the way the synths rise to their crescendo around 2.35m and give us a plateau from which to view the ultimately casually vengeful lyrics ... so appealing ...

How did this band become such a dreary corporate sell-out in the 2000s ? Listening to the guitar stab out teardrops from 3.20m onwards , I wonder why they thought " reapplying to be the biggest band in the world " ( or whatever the exact quote is ) meant anything more than this moment ?

Another song that nails me to an exact moment in time...
Summer of 1992 and one of my best friends suddenly finds himself going through a messy, harrowing and totally unexpected divorce. It involved the line "And next thing you know, she's flying from Tokyo to New York on Billy Idol's private jet!"(true story!)
I spent a few days at his house trying to stop him washing down a bottle of aspirin with a litre of vodka. Kipping on his sofa, I used to listen to my CD Walkman(remember them) to keep my sanity. This song kept me sane in a distressing environment....

Tags
bon jovi emorama fatguyinalittlecoat rulz gr8 tags i have good taste i have terrible taste nugz luvs dmb nugz luvs phish post-count increaser r kellz lyk wut robby=follower she who has good taste this thread is toxic who nose yannisbad ydw an ipod
Back
Top Bottom