‘Paris’ first single from New Album?

How much say does Moz/the Moz camp have when it comes to chosing the singles, b sides, album tracks etc.? Can he pick whatever he likes to be released as a single or is it up to the record company?

I'd go for "MAMA".

I think they only have the power of veto. He picks them. Remember "Sunny" that was a late "contractual" thing, but the choice of song was his.

beside that..i read somewhere on this forum that he insisted using the arse piccie in his greatest hits cd
even though the record company wasnt too thrilled about this..actually pretty much against it but they retreat on this topic to his favour.
so I think he really has the last word on picking singles
..i can remember when he spoke about the difficulties finding a decent record comany who offers a "decent" record contract...
so i think his contract was created that way that he has the most possible power over his creative output as it is possible for a record comany to allow it to their artists..

.but thats just a guess....

Last edited:
I think people are dreaming if they think Morrissey has total artistic control. He simply isn't an artist with enough financial clout for a major record company to offer him that. From the start with Polydor it's been clear he's had to make some major compromises in order to get them to sign him.

He likes decision making power I'm sure, but more than that it seems like he wants a team of people working to get him and his music out there.

When they don't know what to do with him and just let things ride, the end is near. Decca's handling of the new album will be a major test.

On a tangent, is the history of the Decca label one of the most convoluted in recording history, or is this typical?

beside that..i read somewhere on this forum that he insisted using the arse piccie in his greatest hits cd
even though the record company wasnt too thrilled about this..actually pretty much against it but they retreat on this topic to his favour.
so I think he really has the last word on picking singles
..i can remember when he spoke about the difficulties finding a decent record comany who offers a "decent" record contract...
so i think his contract will be creted that way that he has the most possible power over his creative output as it is possible for a record comany to allow it to their artists...

Has anyone thought about emailing Boz, to ask him to confirm whether or not THPGU with be on the new album? He’s usually quite responsive.

Well, since he's releasing Paris as a single maybe he's aiming for the middleaged people:D

Did I see reported an in-concert quip from Morrissey that "some of you already have the album...".or such like? :confused: If many of the newer songs are on it that may be why.

I was hoping that two or three might be on YOR, but the rest unheard tracks.

Still looking forward hopefully...

Other artists do this as well. For example Don't Believe the Truth by Oasis was available to listen on their official website before it was released. The album was leaked so I guess they wanted to (or had to) offer the fans a legal way to listen to the tracks prior to the release.

Ah so maybe he's got a jump on us so we can't leak the new album, he's just giving it too us? Oh and I'm confused isn't AYNIM the first released single? Or should I not have that?

Ah so maybe he's got a jump on us so we can't leak the new album, he's just giving it too us? Oh and I'm confused isn't AYNIM the first released single? Or should I not have that?

'All You Need is Me' was on the greatest hits album. It would be very unlikely to appear on a subsequent studio album, unless it had been a huge hit single or Moz was short of songs (neither is the case).

The following album track-listing has been posted anonymously on the main site. Looks pretty plausible to me...

1. When I Was Young
2. Something Is Squeezing My Skull
3. You Were Good In Your Time
4. I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
5. It's Not Your Birthday Anymore
6. Black Cloud
7. Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed
8. I'm Looking Forward To Going Back
9. Teresa, Teresa
10. Action Man
11. One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
12. When Last I Spoke To Carol

well, "All You Need is Me" and "Thats How People Grow Up" were two previosuly unreleased tracks included on the Greatest Hits compliation that came out earlier this year. The singles were meant to promote the Greatest Hits album....

It would seem silly if one or both of those songs also turns up on Years of Refusal, though I suppose stranger things have happened.

And to weigh in on the topic at hand - I personally think Paris is a fantastic song, though I don't think it would have much impact on a casual listener.

Last edited:
'All You Need is Me' was on the greatest hits album. It would be very unlikely to appear on a subsequent studio album, unless it had been a huge hit single or Moz was short of songs (neither is the case).

The following album track-listing has been posted anonymously on the main site. Looks pretty plausible to me...

1. When I Was Young
2. Something Is Squeezing My Skull
3. You Were Good In Your Time
4. I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
5. It's Not Your Birthday Anymore
6. Black Cloud
7. Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed
8. I'm Looking Forward To Going Back
9. Teresa, Teresa
10. Action Man
11. One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
12. When Last I Spoke To Carol

OKAY! Not confused anymore..thank you!

I just want everyone to know that I have just contacted Boz for clarfication and will let you know what I find out as soon as possible.

I just want everyone to know that I have just contacted Boz for clarfication and will let you know what I find out as soon as possible.

until then, sleepless nights for all! :D

Did you say "Can you clarify whether that song you wrote is really going to be on the album because the fanbase is up in arms as most of them think it is rubbish?" :D

Haha I'm much too diplomatic for that :). I more or less said we are all very confused and some clarification would be great.

And to weigh in on the topic at hand - I personally think Paris is a fantastic song, though I don't think it would have much impact on a casual listener.

I disagree somewhat.

Paris, I feel, is that the sort of song where the sort of people who would hear the song on the radio (presume Decca get anyone to play it) and then like it are not the sort of people that MuteWitness616 and others feel don't 'deserve' to be fans, or won't be 'real' fans etc.

For example, I can easilly see my step mother hearing the song on Radio 2 one afternoon and having the chorus stuck in her head for a few hours. Where as with Skull (again, which I think is the better song) this obviously would not be the case.

Back
Top Bottom