Alain Whyte's band, Stadium, play 'This Charming Man', interview - SoundCheck Live

Comment from Alain : "Been getting asked what Morrissey song did we do. This is the track we covered. Sounds pretty great considering it is live and not our own back line. The amps belonged to the Lucky Strike house band who are red hot. Please share and let everyone know. We will be playing really soon so keep a eye out for Stadium."

Also, an interview at the link posted by Jimmy / Facebook:

SoundCheck Live at Lucky Strike Hollywood with Stadium - KTLA 5

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I actually think the singer has a pretty good "80s" voice, in the vein of Jim Kerr. But he's overcompensating with the "performance". Ditch all that and it'll be fine.

Alain's melodic playing is effortless. Still miss seeing him to Moz's left. And having Mikey on keys reminded me of how great the Quarry era actually was when it was Deano on drums (after he improved greatly), Mikey, and three of the four original Lads...

Who put the M was the best line up he ever had solo. Moz must think musical magic grows on trees. It doesn't. This video shows the power that still is to be had. Place Moz as lead singer and it's on again. His music can be copied but he is irreplaceable. No one will ever be able copy his style of singing. He is a true original. Originality is rare and should be valued and cherished.

Really good. I love Alain, feel lucky to have seen him play with Moz. I wish Moz would have Alain back in the band again.

Seriously, nobody gives a shit a out Alain. When he was in the band everyone whished for Johnny.
Now jesse is on board people whish for Alain.

I find Alains constant " remeber me " up dates ridiculous. He has nothing to do with the Smiths, he never wrote a song approaching the grade of the Smiths.

This band are bullshit

Ive heard enough to prove my point already :guitar::cool:
Martin and the Lawnmowers have absolutely ruined Steven.
Just like Jeremy Corbyn they hang around like a bad smell, they know they're
Class A Shysters hanging on to the bitter end.
Steven and the Corbynites ! L O L :rofl:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Who put the M was the best line up he ever had solo. Moz must think musical magic grows on trees. It doesn't. This video shows the power that still is to be had. Place Moz as lead singer and it's on again. His music can be copied but he is irreplaceable. No one will ever be able copy his style of singing. He is a true original. Originality is rare and should be valued and cherished.

[video]

This is why Jesse plays it so differently I guess, because otherwise it sounds rubbish like this. I mean, Jesse's sounds rubbish too, but at least he can hide behind the excuse that it's supposed to sound different. I know there is a lot of Alain fans on here, and I really like him too and much prefer him to Jesse, but this isn't good, and that's even before the singer begins to sing.

My god the lead singer is awful. Not one natural bodily movement to speak of. He seems so forced and put on. God awful and that is putting it mildly. He's the kind of singer you want to punch in the face.

Last edited:
This is why Jesse plays it so differently I guess, because otherwise it sounds rubbish like this. I mean, Jesse's sounds rubbish too, but at least he can hide behind the excuse that it's supposed to sound different. I know there is a lot of Alain fans on here, and I really like him too and much prefer him to Jesse, but this isn't good, and that's even before the singer begins to sing.

Alain always got crapped on for his Smiths renditions. Remember all of the fus about him botching Headmaster Ritual in 2004?

Moz will hire who he wants. The cool thing about Alain, Boz, Gaz and Cobs was the baptism by fire. Compare Your Arsenal to Southpaw. The playing was insane. Spencer became a drummer. He could barely keep it together, then you have "The Operation". Very nice band. Alain looks great

Alain is a very good co-writer and a very good singer and guitar player. More importantly, he has walked the walked, gigging all over the world, that's very different to playing down the pub. All the musicians Moz has played with are good . But Morrissey is the star, whether we like it or not. Johnny Marrs genius was in the smiths, if he had not been in the smiths we would not be talking about him and believe me that does not deride his ability, its just a musicians lot.

Recently Scotty Moore died. I have met Scotty and seen him play. He was crucial to Elvis's early success and is a creative and fine player. However (and yes it sucks), unfortunately, Elvis went on to play with Hank Garland, Chet Atkins and James Burton and nobody even noticed he was gone, except die hard fans. Scotty was a humble man, knew his worth, but knew Elvis was the star.

Most Moz fans are there to see him (and again, yes it sucks) but it could be the wurzels playing the music for all the difference it would make to most fans.

I love Alain Whyte and his massive contribution to Morrissey's Arsenal is unquestionable, but this so called singer isn't worthy of him in the least. He's what is commonly known as a poser.

Seriously, nobody gives a shit a out Alain. When he was in the band everyone whished for Johnny.
Now jesse is on board people whish for Alain.

I find Alains constant " remeber me " up dates ridiculous. He has nothing to do with the Smiths, he never wrote a song approaching the grade of the Smiths.

This band are bullshit

lol this is funny, because is the truth. The latest years of alain in the band everybody were saying mean things about him and that moz should call Marr instead. Now that Jesse is in the band, everybody loves Alain :crazy:

He sounded great tho, but i didn't like the singer (I still don't care much about him tho and i don't hate Jesse, but i would love to see a couple of moz and marr reunion gigs i don't care what solow says)

Alain always got crapped on for his Smiths renditions. Remember all of the fus about him botching Headmaster Ritual in 2004?

It's been some time since I've seen "Who Put the M," but if I remember correctly he was trying to play the song in standard tuning. I'm not sure why he didn't have the guitar he used for that song set on an open tuning - the song is much easier to play that way. I'm fairly sure that's how Marr did it.

Garry Gary Beers (INXS) on bass?

Yes. He actually started the project. I believe the first gig was in support an LA animal shelter. Which one would think a certain person we know could get behind in spirit. Right now, they are doing it for fun but hinted at working on an album of originals.

Constant? He rarely posts on FB these day and most times his posts concern either his (very charming) family or his songwriting work. I think the last time he posted something Morrissey-related - not replied to a friend comment, note the distinction - was for the 20th anniversary of Southpaw Grammar in August 2015. And he was quite rightly proud of it and respectful to Morrissey.

lol this is funny, because is the truth. The latest years of alain in the band everybody were saying mean things about him and that moz should call Marr instead. Now that Jesse is in the band, everybody loves Alain :crazy:

Be careful with this generalization. Some of us had caught a whiff of "bullshit" about the personnel change very early on in Jesse's tenure - and were noting his deficiencies from the first American tour. And the people who vocally criticized Alain in those days mostly did so on the basis of his unpardonable sin of not being Johnny Marr.

(And, yes, Jesse's unpardonable sin is that he is not Alain Whyte...;) The rhythm of life goes round, etc.)

Yes. He actually started the project. I believe the first gig was in support an LA animal shelter. Which one would think a certain person we know could get behind in spirit. Right now, they are doing it for fun but hinted at working on an album of originals.

Constant? He rarely posts on FB these day and most times his posts concern either his (very charming) family or his songwriting work. I think the last time he posted something Morrissey-related - not replied to a friend comment, note the distinction - was for the 20th anniversary of Southpaw Grammar in August 2015. And he was quite rightly proud of it and respectful to Morrissey.

Be careful with this generalization. Some of us had caught a whiff of "bullshit" about the personnel change very early on in Jesse's tenure - and were noting his deficiencies from the first American tour. And the people who vocally criticized Alain in those days mostly did so on the basis of his unpardonable sin of not being Johnny Marr.

(And, yes, Jesse's unpardonable sin is that he is not Alain Whyte...;) The rhythm of life goes round, etc.)

I think the more recent one than that was the auctioning of the guitar he wrote morrissey songs on

Back
Top Bottom