Album completely finished? Tobias Instagram suggests so...

Shane D

Jesse.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd take these random, slightly cryptic social media snippets with a pinch of salt.
The rumour mill elsewhere has already turned a comment from a band member leaving France in to 'the album's ready' - which in all probability isn't.
Some of the people asserting things based on the smallest bits of info appear to do so for how it makes them look on Facebook et al than any desire to truly inform people.
I'd also add that, often, when they communicate with band members or announce things said on private accounts to the world that things don't turn out like they report.
The whole Moz world is built on foundations of saying little and letting people fill in the gaps. The band join in on it. There's no real reason a band member couldn't say: just finished recording an album, it's being mixed and will be released on... Instead, we get fly by night social media posts and vague comments that often disappear. Not exactly the best thing to base definitive assertions on maybe!?
We live in hope.
Regards,
FWD.

I'd take these random, slightly cryptic social media snippets with a pinch of salt.
The rumour mill elsewhere has already turned a comment from a band member leaving France in to 'the album's ready' - which in all probability isn't.
Some of the people asserting things based on the smallest bits of info appear to do so for how it makes them look on Facebook et al than any desire to truly inform people.
I'd also add that, often, when they communicate with band members or announce things said on private accounts to the world that things don't turn out like they report.
The whole Moz world is built on foundations of saying little and letting people fill in the gaps. The band join in on it. There's no real reason a band member couldn't say: just finished recording an album, it's being mixed and will be released on... Instead, we get fly by night social media posts and vague comments that often disappear. Not exactly the best thing to base definitive assertions on maybe!?
We live in hope.
Regards,
FWD.

Understand your stance but I don't blame them. Morrissey and the record company want maximum impact for the announcement of the new album. Would be a bit rubbish if the bass player just confirmed it all inadvertently. I actually quite like getting these tweets/instagrams from producer/guitarists etc. as it means that an album has pretty much definitely been recorded, and should have a fairly imminent release.

Just because Jesse is done doesn't mean the albums done. Also just because an album is finished doesn't mean it'll be released as soon as possible and they won't announce until they're close to releasing it

Understand your stance but I don't blame them. Morrissey and the record company want maximum impact for the announcement of the new album. Would be a bit rubbish if the bass player just confirmed it all inadvertently. I actually quite like getting these tweets/instagrams from producer/guitarists etc. as it means that an album has pretty much definitely been recorded, and should have a fairly imminent release.
Unfortunately, there is utterly zero effort being made in the 'maximum impact' department around anything he's attached to particularly.
Gigs vanishing, events being posted by 'official' FB accs and then removed. Live Nation, Spotify... A Smiths twitter feed that's privated. One day's notice by official channels for a single's release... Featuring Boz advertising The Smiths. A YT video channel with less than 700 subscribers to help drum up interest in a reissue.... I could go on, but I'm sure its tedious.
The band have 'leaked' everything but the specific details - some are private accounts, but they don't scrutinise who they add - hence the rumour mill spread misinformation and things then 'disappear' online.
There was a time you knew when an album was due for release as it was listed in the months building up to it - to encourage sales. I can't see how the current behaviour around recording / social media and semi-secrecy does anything to help spark interest in anything except guess work & misinformation.
Regards,
FWD.

The trend seems to be in general that people don't give out release dates so far in advance presently. When a release date is given it'll get picked up by sites that cover music. If those stories are closer to the release date people are more likely to remember and buy. It's also easier to build the momentum when maybe a track is released before the sale. If it's to far in advance they might forget or get distracted by other things new in the musical headlines. It's not like a site like pitchfork is gonna put out a story saying ok we covered the announcement of a new morrissey album a while ago but here's a new story saying the same thing. These story's covering he announcement are essentially commercials and you want a commercial to have an impact when consumers are close to being able to purchase a product. Attention cycles are shorter and there's more acts than ever to competing for space in headlines and public consciousness and it's hard for even an act like morrissey to compete with jay z and Taylor swift who will get a lot of that space. The rumors keeps the core fan base talking in the meantime, which seems to be working, and the public announcement will get headlines for a short while

was not the album , according to Moz in some interview, 'finished' a couple of years ago.

We are talking about Morrissey here - who used to preview new album material live - sometimes years prior to its release.
He's never really engaged with the model in the way it is described above.
Quarry, Ringleader, Refusal, WPINOYB were all known quantities for release date with many of the tracks being performed prior - I highly doubt he will adopt a different pattern that fits in with any 'attention cycles' - other than his own of course.
Regards,
FWD.

so, when he performs an unreleased song, is when we will know there is actually a new album in the offing?
if so, there is no new album, as of today.

nothing official

no Album

no tour

Nothing

perhaps a new Concert Film "Santa Barbara Bowl" (SER)?

Dream On

We are talking about Morrissey here - who used to preview new album material live - sometimes years prior to its release.
He's never really engaged with the model in the way it is described above.
Quarry, Ringleader, Refusal, WPINOYB were all known quantities for release date with many of the tracks being performed prior - I highly doubt he will adopt a different pattern that fits in with any 'attention cycles' - other than his own of course.
Regards,
FWD.

To the above anon, I think he said it was written a year ago but who knows what changed since then.

Quarry was a comeback album and so that helps and keeps people writing, it's release is a story in and of itself, but I don't know that doing things as he has in the past really helped the albums that came after and the rollout of world peace was really odd to me with its glut of tracks. That said morrissey supposedly has a new manager and a new label so maybe they also have voices and influence to help change his mind somewhat as to how word gets out. Like you said he done things differently in the past so unless you believe there is no new album he seems to have changed how he's doing business. There probably will be an announcement and songs played live but it might be a shorter period prior to the release date. Meanwhile having unofficial stuff float about obviously doesnt hurt anything

"so, when he performs an unreleased song, is when we will know there is actually a new album in the offing?"

Erh... No, that's how it was in the past - that can give an indication as to the future, but doesn't become a definitive rule - well, certainly not asserted by myself anyway.
There is, however, little evidence to suggest he will ever engage with the music industry in the way asserted previously. The hit and miss nature of his online 'marketing' in the last few years is totally at odds with his younger self's attention to detail and current trendy 'popularity algorithm' manipulation - which is a shame as it is totally possible for him to embrace and reap the rewards - he's the biggest stumbling block with regards to this, not the industry.
Of course there is an album, but cloak & dagger nonsense is not ever going to help it. The t-shirt debacle, the live gigs vanishing from high profile apps, TTY/Official FB messing about, withdrawn live dates from box offices, making controversial pronouncements on a marketing FB page, Sam's ego and subsequent dramas, Italy, sneaking off to France et al..... most of this spread via unofficial sources and has only been spun negatively - the 'new' manager isn't really that good at marketing or damage limitation then are they!? Plus they are using old mechanisms to 'accidentally' leak things - again, that isn't helpful to the brand.
Given he records with someone who successfully markets their own albums and without the need for gossip to generate practically any interest plus a wealth of modern ways to create interest in something that require little effort - it's a shame it will probably 'happen' in such a clouded way.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
"so, when he performs an unreleased song, is when we will know there is actually a new album in the offing?"

Erh... No, that's how it was in the past - that can give an indication as to the future, but doesn't become a definitive rule - well, certainly not asserted by myself anyway.
There is, however, little evidence to suggest he will ever engage with the music industry in the way asserted previously. The hit and miss nature of his online 'marketing' in the last few years is totally at odds with his younger self's attention to detail and current trendy 'popularity algorithm' manipulation - which is a shame as it is totally possible for him to embrace and reap the rewards - he's the biggest stumbling block with regards to this, not the industry.
Of course there is an album, but cloak & dagger nonsense is not ever going to help it. The t-shirt debacle, the live gigs vanishing from high profile apps, TTY/Official FB messing about, withdrawn live dates from box offices, making controversial pronouncements on a marketing FB page, Sam's ego and subsequent dramas, Italy, sneaking off to France et al..... most of this spread via unofficial sources and has only been spun negatively - the 'new' manager isn't really that good at marketing or damage limitation then are they!? Plus they are using old mechanisms to 'accidentally' leak things - again, that isn't helpful to the brand.
Given he records with someone who successfully markets their own albums and without the need for gossip to generate practically any interest plus a wealth of modern ways to create interest in something that require little effort - it's a shame it will probably 'happen' in such a clouded way.
Regards,
FWD.

How has it been spun negatively. There's plenty of examples of people getting excited by seeing a possible new title. In the tweet above about Jesse posting all seems pretty positive about the possibility of a new one. I also don't know who's to blame for the posting of shows on whatever app. I dont think you do either so why the assumption that apps being handled horribly by morrisseys camp. Ive seen live dates of other artists get announced and pulled because they were premature. Seems like something that happens now and then. To me it looks like you're just being impatient and want info now. If a release date is farther away the release of a bunch of info now doesn't help it. Releasing an album at certain times does have an effect of sales and charting and even if morrissey doesn't care the label might and has a say. The tweets about recording being on the posts of the band in Rome from boz the pic from joe have all seemed to generate postitive reactions and plenty of discussion

How has it been spun negatively. There's plenty of examples of people getting excited by seeing a possible new title. In the tweet above about Jesse posting all seems pretty positive about the possibility of a new one. I also don't know who's to blame for the posting of shows on whatever app. I dont think you do either so why the assumption that apps being handled horribly by morrisseys camp. Ive seen live dates of other artists get announced and pulled because they were premature. Seems like something that happens now and then. To me it looks like you're just being impatient and want info now. If a release date is farther away the release of a bunch of info now doesn't help it. Releasing an album at certain times does have an effect of sales and charting and even if morrissey doesn't care the label might and has a say. The tweets about recording being on the posts of the band in Rome from boz the pic from joe have all seemed to generate postitive reactions and plenty of discussion
There is no 'impatience' on my part - I can't see where you get that from - I've waited literally years for things - having a view on gossip and misinformation does not really relate to my perceived patience.
The removed gigs have directly exacerbated people's anxiety about him turning up if they book hotels etc - that has harmed the brand negatively. The 'will he won't he' thinking can't ever really generate a positive view.
When Morrissey uses his 'official' page to post comments as his words - it is reasonable to assume that his 'camp' & he are in some form of communication. Many legitimate companies have removed information at exactly the time the information appears on this site - somebody is giving this information to Spotify, Live Nation, venues etc and somebody is then getting them to retract it - if Morrissey was completely distanced from the FB page - it wouldn't be an issue, but the annoyance expressed just in this forum at fumbled live announcements is directly attributed to his actions which is, again, negative. The nonsense in Italy has overshadowed the real reason for them being there. Did you have your eyes closed during all the negative comments in the media about the furore - with little mention of a new album?
A new manager should be on top of all of this - there have been many excellent suggestions here over the years as to best ways to successfully market his work - the last year has probably been the best example of how not to.
I'm off - I'm impatient for my dinner.
Regards,
FWD.

There is no 'impatience' on my part - I can't see where you get that from - I've waited literally years for things - having a view on gossip and misinformation does not really relate to my perceived patience.
The removed gigs have directly exacerbated people's anxiety about him turning up if they book hotels etc - that has harmed the brand negatively. The 'will he won't he' thinking can't ever really generate a positive view.
When Morrissey uses his 'official' page to post comments as his words - it is reasonable to assume that his 'camp' & he are in some form of communication. Many legitimate companies have removed information at exactly the time the information appears on this site - somebody is giving this information to Spotify, Live Nation, venues etc and somebody is then getting them to retract it - if Morrissey was completely distanced from the FB page - it wouldn't be an issue, but the annoyance expressed just in this forum at fumbled live announcements is directly attributed to his actions which is, again, negative. The nonsense in Italy has overshadowed the real reason for them being there. Did you have your eyes closed during all the negative comments in the media about the furore - with little mention of a new album?
A new manager should be on top of all of this - there have been many excellent suggestions here over the years as to best ways to successfully market his work - the last year has probably been the best example of how not to.
I'm off - I'm impatient for my dinner.
Regards,
FWD.

Well in the post made by Jesse used in this thread he seems to receive positive comments. The joe pic generated a lot of excitement even here where things tend to skew negatively. I don't see much negativity in regards to info leaking out in this way other than people being impatient and frustrated that there's no official word yet. Complaining that he used to play new material live before a release or that we used to be kept updated on releases gives the impression of an impatient person. Sure the incident in Italy brought some negative attention but I do t think this really effects much. Not many people even knew he was there recording so I don't think it over shadows much of anything or even effects who'll buy the new album. If he didn't make an official announcement about recording how can it be overshadowed. It'll get announced and fans will be excited. I don't see anyone going I not buying this because I didn't know about it before now. The Italy controversy is same old for morrissey at this point and not everyone hated what happened. As for the shows I think the amount of people booking hotels before the tickets even go on sale is probably small if not non existent and that it's a stretch to say it's harmed anyone in such a way. How do you know it's not a mistake by Spotify. A lot of the places I saw announcing shows seemed to take info from one source. I for one am fine with waiting for the new albums announced release date and will probably see an east coast American show. I think, for the position he's in now In this phase of his career, that it's best to keep things under wraps. He'll get a lot of press for a min but because he's a legacy act but I dont know how long it'll last. It's best to use those initial headlines and free advertising to his advantage and that means letting them drop when he's closer to having something to buy. Enjoy your dinner

Whilst I'm eating, please do look at ways of engaging with people's words without presenting them out of context - you know, like pointing out to another anon how he used to preview songs - which you twisted in to 'complaining' to justify your impatient assertion. When people do that, it tends to demonstrate a desire to be argumentative rather than actually take a point - so much so that they imagine they understand the meaning of what someone is saying better than the person saying it. So just to help you understand: I am not impatient nor was I complaining in the way you describe to then build your point off.
I'm glad you can't see much wrong with how things are now when compared to the past - let's hope more people adopt this thinking for future releases. The comments thread of his FB page that garnered the biggest online response ever to one of his rants was full of people expressing negative views - perhaps you can help them all to think otherwise.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
I dont think anyone can make out what either of you are trying to express. Moz used to preview songs before putting them on an album. But now, for reasons not explained, we have to ignore the past, Moz will act in complete contrast as to how he used to. Like the Italy incident, totally unprecedented. That the album, if there is one, will probably not released in Italy, for fear of injunction, probably does not worry the label, if there even is one, that is.
Is this it?

Moz had new management six months ago, he fired them mid tour. LOL but it will different this time.

Back
Top Bottom