Article: "Vauxhall And I" (Definitive Master) debuts at #63 in UK Album Charts; "Earth..." and "Ista

From an anonymous person:

Vauxhall And I re-issue has made it to number 63 in the UK Album Charts today.

Elsewhere 'Earth Is The Loneliest Planet' failed to make the UK Top 100 singles today and 'Istanbul' failed to make the UK Top 200 singles 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: "Vauxhall And I" (Definitive Master) debuts at #63 in UK Album Charts; "Earth..." and "

To quote Freddie Mercury 'its only a bloody record darling' its as hummable and funny and lovely as anything he's done, go to youtube for the first airing of 'kick the bride' it will be fan favourite soon, up there with 'i know its over' yeah that'
s what i said so there.

Re: Article: "Vauxhall And I" (Definitive Master) debuts at #63 in UK Album Charts; "Earth..." and "

That's what happens when you become lazy and don't put out quality music anymore. If you actually think these songs compare to anything he did with the smiths or made in the 90s then obviously you people have become fans within the last 5 years. The Morrissey of then would hate the Morrissey of now, he's become everything he use to hate. Morrissey has always been an arrogant ass, but he use to have the colossal talent and the music to back it up, when your that talented why shouldnt you be, but he isn't anymore and he's not going to be, why who knows maybe because he older doesn't have the drive, or he has a lazy crap band that doesn't make the music fit with his voice. All I know is these songs aren't great they're not even good, it has nothing to do with promotion this time around.

I hate the you of now. That much I know.

Zzzzzzzz. Art is subjective there are no absolutes: nobody is "right" and nobody is "wrong" it's all a question of personal taste. I have been a fan since the 1980's and I find The Smiths very samey and predictable - once you've heard one or two songs, you've basically heard them all. And while Morrissey's solo career is patchy (and let's face it, whose isn't - Bowie, anyone?), I listen to his solo stuff FAR more than The Smiths. I find those people who obsess over The Smiths to be somewhat stuck in the 1980's, unable to move on and forever blaming Morrissey for the fact that human beings age and that he's not in his 20's and not connecting with their teenage selves like he did back then when they were alone in their bedrooms. If Morrissey and Marr were still trotting out that formulaic Smiths material, would they still be going? Probably not. Would The Smiths enjoy the same reputation if they had put out 30 studio albums rather than just four? Unlikely. And even if they were still going, this website would be full of people identifying the law of diminishing returns, comparing them to the Rolling Stones and lambasting the indignity and lack of imagination. So no difference there then.

Re-releases and deluxe editions rarely chart. And unless you've just won American Idol or you're under 35 and have a video featuring naked women or you have massive blanket promotional coverage (non-existent here), you don't have a shot at the charts these days. Are we really saying that chart placings are a measure of "quality"? Or that chart positions in 2014 mean the same as they did 1973? Of course not - we're just saying that few artists are wrapped up in the *nostalgia* of chart positions the way Morrissey is. To criticise him for that would be like criticising him for his stage backdrops or for all those resurrected labels (Major Minor, Harvest etc) - it's all part and parcel of the Morrissey aesthetic. And if you don't realise that, then frankly it's a wonder that you're here at all. If I were Harvest I would take the view that a spending millions on promotion just for the sake of chart positions is money down the toilet as Morrissey tends not to have casual fans: they are either die-hards or they despise him and would never buy his records on principle. Rather like this site, in fact - apart from the fact that those who come here every day to say they hate him and to publicly insist they will never buy concert tickets ever again aren't fooling anyone.
Wonderfully put, 100% spot on

Hardly, The Smiths were f***ing brilliant and I'd question anyone's sanity that likes Morrissey as a solo artist but not The Smiths. Maybe it's an American thing.

Nothing against Morrissey's solo work either, I like both.

Re: Vauxhall And I #63 in UK Album Charts

For those who have some knowledge about the Charts : does the fact that they haven't been released physically played a role at all ?

I would say, no. Charts are all about downloads nowadays, with physical product firmly secondary. I think it's more to do with lack of promotion (and much as I liked the Bullfighter video, these spoken-word items weren't ever going to have a chance of being shown).

Vauxhall didn't chart over here (in the Netherlands) BTW, in contrast to Rhino's Led Zeppelin II and III (in the Top 20).

Last edited:

Hardly, The Smiths were f***ing brilliant and I'd question anyone's sanity that likes Morrissey as a solo artist but not The Smiths. Maybe it's an American thing.

Nothing against Morrissey's solo work either, I like both.

I don't think either of us said we don't like the smiths, I just agreed that I'm also more likely to listen to moz solo work more than the smiths, but I obviously like both. I live in glasgow so its not an American thing, maybe it's a jock thing

Maybe the singles aren't selling because we are waiting for the whole album, which used to be released before the start of the tour, not after.

because we are waiting for the whole album, which used to be released before the start of the tour, not after.

Another very good point which is true....it is all a bit messed up but....

Cheers Moz

I don't think either of us said we don't like the smiths, I just agreed that I'm also more likely to listen to moz solo work more than the smiths, but I obviously like both. I live in glasgow so its not an American thing, maybe it's a jock thing

You pesky jocks! I think all their albums are very different from each other and quite eclectic, as are Morrissey's. I never felt the need to be dismissive of any of it. I was just nitipicking as I agree with what you were saying.

I used to listen to The Smiths more than solo, but there is sadly a lot less material to listen to, and I ended up listening to solo stuff more often than The Smiths.

I don't think anyone has ever claimed The Smiths weren't brilliant. Even Morrissey knows that.

I'm not really sure how many artists in their mid-fifties you expect to see on the pop charts.

Zzzzzzzz. Art is subjective there are no absolutes: nobody is "right" and nobody is "wrong" it's all a question of personal taste. I have been a fan since the 1980's and I find The Smiths very samey and predictable - once you've heard one or two songs, you've basically heard them all. And while Morrissey's solo career is patchy (and let's face it, whose isn't - Bowie, anyone?), I listen to his solo stuff FAR more than The Smiths. I find those people who obsess over The Smiths to be somewhat stuck in the 1980's, unable to move on and forever blaming Morrissey for the fact that human beings age and that he's not in his 20's and not connecting with their teenage selves like he did back then when they were alone in their bedrooms. If Morrissey and Marr were still trotting out that formulaic Smiths material, would they still be going? Probably not. Would The Smiths enjoy the same reputation if they had put out 30 studio albums rather than just four? Unlikely. And even if they were still going, this website would be full of people identifying the law of diminishing returns, comparing them to the Rolling Stones and lambasting the indignity and lack of imagination. So no difference there then.

Re-releases and deluxe editions rarely chart. And unless you've just won American Idol or you're under 35 and have a video featuring naked women or you have massive blanket promotional coverage (non-existent here), you don't have a shot at the charts these days. Are we really saying that chart placings are a measure of "quality"? Or that chart positions in 2014 mean the same as they did 1973? Of course not - we're just saying that few artists are wrapped up in the *nostalgia* of chart positions the way Morrissey is. To criticise him for that would be like criticising him for his stage backdrops or for all those resurrected labels (Major Minor, Harvest etc) - it's all part and parcel of the Morrissey aesthetic. And if you don't realise that, then frankly it's a wonder that you're here at all. If I were Harvest I would take the view that a spending millions on promotion just for the sake of chart positions is money down the toilet as Morrissey tends not to have casual fans: they are either die-hards or they despise him and would never buy his records on principle. Rather like this site, in fact - apart from the fact that those who come here every day to say they hate him and to publicly insist they will never buy concert tickets ever again aren't fooling anyone.

I agree much of the Smiths catalogue does sound very similar. The only Smiths tracks I still listen to a lot are I Know It's Over, There Is A Light, Well I Wonder & Paint A Vulgar Picture. However I have a 40-track Moz solo playlist on my iTunes which is pretty much on constant rotate and I'd definitely take these 40 songs over the 40 tracks on the four Smiths studio albums any day:

First Of The Gang To Die / National Front Disco / Certain People I Know / Sing Your Life / Boxers / Now My Heart Is Full / Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself / You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side / Alma Matters / Maladjusted / Boy Racer / Do Your Best And Don't Worry / Best Friend On The Payroll / Christian Dior / Life Is A Pigsty / Hairdresser On Fire / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Suedehead / That's How People Grow Up / You Have Killed Me / The Youngest Was The Most Loved / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / Sister, I'm A Poet / Jack The Ripper / Such A little Thing / Interesting Drug / When Last I Spoke To Carol / November Spawned A Monster / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Last Of The Famous International Playboys / The Loop / Yes, I Am Blind / Billy Budd / The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get / Seasick, Yet Still Docked / Trouble Loves Me / I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday / Speedway / Come Back To Camden / You Know I Couldn't Last

Totally agree. He needs to get rid of his horrible band ans start from scratch.

You listen to Billy Budd, the youngest was the most loved and Boxers but not Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want, Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me or What She Said?

Golden Lights is better than Boy Racer ffs.

There's no accounting for taste.

Last edited:

Bowie? Patchy? Really? Nobody has made a run of inventive, daring and progressive recordings like that man made in the 70's. 1970, The Man Who Sold The World. 1971. Hunky Dory. 1972, Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. 1973, Aladdin Sane. 1974, Diamond Dogs. 1975, Young Americans. 1976, Station to Station. 1977, Low, Heroes. 1979, Lodger. 1980, Scary Monsters and Super Creeps. And while I am it, let us not exclude Outside, 1995 and Heathen in 2002 - if only Morrissey had the same verve and artistic drive in his 50's. I do agree that Morrissey has released some fantastic records as a solo artist, but to say there has not been a decline in quality is foolish - the work speaks for itself. The tracks from World Peace … are not up there with his best, and I am no nostalgia whore, I would love to be able to proclaim "Best work he has ever done" to all who will listen but it simply isn't true. Part of the reason is his band, they may be talented as individual musicians but as a band they simply do not gel - the cruel irony of course is that Morrissey is in the best voice of his career - I don't want to see the man fronting a bloody American garage band. And then there is Moz, 'in the end, your royalties bring you luxuries', maybe he is too insulated, too comfortable and simply not driven enough. I don't know, but today's Morrissey is far removed from the one who wrote for The Smiths, Viva Hate, Your Arsenal and SouthPaw.:tears:

Bowie? Patchy? Really? Nobody has made a run of inventive, daring and progressive recordings like that man made in the 70's. 1970, The Man Who Sold The World. 1971. Hunky Dory. 1972, Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. 1973, Aladdin Sane. 1974, Diamond Dogs. 1975, Young Americans. 1976, Station to Station. 1977, Low, Heroes. 1979, Lodger. 1980, Scary Monsters and Super Creeps. And while I am it, let us not exclude Outside, 1995 and Heathen in 2002 - if only Morrissey had the same verve and artistic drive in his 50's. I do agree that Morrissey has released some fantastic records as a solo artist, but to say there has not been a decline in quality is foolish - the work speaks for itself. The tracks from World Peace … are not up there with his best, and I am no nostalgia whore, I would love to be able to proclaim "Best work he has ever done" to all who will listen but it simply isn't true. Part of the reason is his band, they may be talented as individual musicians but as a band they simply do not gel - the cruel irony of course is that Morrissey is in the best voice of his career - I don't want to see the man fronting a bloody American garage band. And then there is Moz, 'in the end, your royalties bring you luxuries', maybe he is too insulated, too comfortable and simply not driven enough. I don't know, but today's Morrissey is far removed from the one who wrote for The Smiths, Viva Hate, Your Arsenal and SouthPaw.:tears:

I think Bowie with Mick Ronson was unstoppable, without he's been patchy too. Every genius needs another to bring the best out of them.

Yes, patchy. Not that 70's golden era, of course. But don't forget Bowie was also responsible for Tonight, Never Let Me Down, Black Tie White Noise, Earthling and Hours...some of the most derivative, dreary and forgettable rubbish that has ever been recorded.

That's what happens when you become lazy and don't put out quality music anymore. If you actually think these songs compare to anything he did with the smiths or made in the 90s then obviously you people have become fans within the last 5 years. The Morrissey of then would hate the Morrissey of now, he's become everything he use to hate. Morrissey has always been an arrogant ass, but he use to have the colossal talent and the music to back it up, when your that talented why shouldnt you be, but he isn't anymore and he's not going to be, why who knows maybe because he older doesn't have the drive, or he has a lazy crap band that doesn't make the music fit with his voice. All I know is these songs aren't great they're not even good, it has nothing to do with promotion this time around.

Can't agree with you more. People who like his new music are new fans and just don't understand that it is horrible. His voice still sound great so he should fire his horrible band, and collaborate with someone exciting and new.

Yes, patchy. Not that 70's golden era, of course. But don't forget Bowie was also responsible for Tonight, Never Let Me Down, Black Tie White Noise, Earthling and Hours...some of the most derivative, dreary and forgettable rubbish that has ever been recorded.

Don't forget the duets with Mick jagger and Tina Turner in the 80's . Lol

Vauxhall re-issue sold 1,523 copies and World Peace single download sold around 2,000 downloads (excluding pre-orders) in their first weeks.

Back
Top Bottom