Bullfighting - for or against

Musley

wild and free
Continuing my animal cruelty theme, was on earth is the point of bullfighting?

Continuing my animal cruelty theme, was on earth is the point of bullfighting?
Musley, I completely agree with you! It's such a horribly violent...*event* (I refuse to call it a, *sport* because there is no sporting character about it.) I don't understand the running of the bulls in Pamplona, either. What? Guys trying to prove their machismo by running away from angry bulls who want to gore them with their sharp horns?
:mad:

Actually, the area where I'm from has bullfighting which is two bulls push against each other in a ring.

It doesn't look violent or harmful, but bulls are forced to entertain humans which you may find cruel.

LOL is THAT what Adrian Edmondson looks like NOW?:p I'm used to him on "The Young Ones" ( I know he's not Vivian! )

Ha, that picture is a Young Ones era picture
this is what he look like now
12648_2.jpg

You a fan? :)

Elective c-section seems to be a hit ;)

Yes that would have definately been my choice if I had had any children. Why suffer all that unnecessary pain, not in this day and age. And something else, if men had to give birth the experience would have been pain free a long ago!

I never got the point of it...

It's a bit cruel for both the animal and the human. Which just goes to show we can be pretty stupid in attempt to seem macho.
=| Defiently against. Such a stupid pointless waste of time and space.

When you have the time could you start a couple of threads about women's issues, please :D

chica,
Of course you dont have to wait for Musley to start a thread about women's issues - you could always start one yourself;)

Jukebox Jury

Yes that would have definately been my choice if I had had any children. Why suffer all that unnecessary pain, not in this day and age. And something else, if men had to give birth the experience would have been pain free a long ago!

That's a cop-out. If you have a vagina, you have it to push baybees through it. The way mother nature intended!

It's crule and pointless! :mad:
Why should animals have to "entertain" us?? Bull fighting- and any other crulety to animals makes me really angry!!!

agreed,
bullfighting is not 'glamorous' as the spanish would have us think.
for staeters its not even a 'fair fight' as the bulls have their horns sawn off at a certain point and then glued back on, this has the effect off totally screwing up their sense of balance, thus why the bull always seems to just miss the matador, as from the bulls wobbly point of view it is actually heading straight for them. its flaming wicked... and disgusting.

I would LOVE to go to a 'running' of the bulls, just spo i could trip up the runners etc to give the bulls a chance to catch up and actually hurt them... i always cheer when i hear that people hve been gored at these events.

That's a cop-out. If you have a vagina, you have it to push baybees through it. The way mother nature intended!

I know it's a cop out but I'm such a coward when it comes to pain. Still, it won't happen now, not at my age.

You don't need a c section for labour to be pain free, just have drugs! Giving birth naturally is a much quicker recovery after birth too.

Musley, you've certainly made an impression with your ethical discussion threads recently! I avoided the euthanasia thread for my own reasons, but I feel compelled to participate here, even though animal rights aren't normally my schtick. For the record - I am against bullfighting, however, this looks like it's going to be a pretty one-sided (and therefore boring) discussion, so let me present the arguments in its favour. There is a slight problem in that these are pretty much non-existent, but I'll give it a go...

There is really only one pro-bullfighting argument, and that concerns heritage and national identity. Supporters argue that it is a deeply ingrained part of the Spanish national psyche - not just a sport, but an art to be judged by those deemed knowledgeable. It is often romanticised as a ritual, a dance-off if you will, between man and beast. The bull has the chance to survive if it performs well enough - it may be granted a 'stay' by the audience. There is also a fair chance of serious injury for the matador, particularly as the performance moves on and the bull becomes wiser to his intentions. It is dangerous for both parties, and each has a chance to live or die, depending on skill and style. In his book Death In The Afternoon (perhaps the ultimate glorification of bullfighting, but also a brilliantly romantic work), Hemingway says...

"Bullfighting is the only art in which the artist is in danger of death and in which the degree of brilliance in the performance is left to the fighter's honour."

For the Spanish people, bullfighting has a deeper resonance too. The sport's heyday during the Franco years were among the most disturbing and volatile in the country's history. The people turned to bullfighting as an outlet for the emotion and anger they felt towards the direction of their great nation. Obviously they could not publicly declare their dissenting views of the dictatorship, and so el toreo became a manifestation of these sentiments. Clearly that's no longer the case, but then it's not nearly as popular as it was 30 years ago. A 2006 IPSOS poll shows that 68% of people are against the practice, with 28% in favour. Compare that with a similar poll conducted in 1975, in which 55% of those polled described themselves as "enthusiastic" about bullfighting. However, in contrast to this seemingly liberal modern outlook, 76% of respondants in 2006 were against a banning of the sport. I think this reveals the fundamental problem for the Spanish - they might not agree with it, but banning it seems to them like erasing a key part of their culture and history. And surely they've suffered that shame for long enough?

Coiff.

I was going to say... that I am not a fan of it and do not see it as a purpose. However I must add that my view may be partially ethnocentric as it is not as ingrained within my culture as it is with Spain.

The natural argument is to bring up that if it was traditional for someone to commit an atrocity than should that be protected as well. However for some reason I feel that it is very possible that Bullfighting is a deeper part of the Spanish tradition and history that only the Spanish can comment and decide on as far as its continuance.

Back
Top Bottom