David Moss (son of Joe Moss) / Twitter mentions Morrissey and archival Smiths data

Read the full set of tweets at time of posting:
40 years since #TheSmiths exploded, I think it's about time Joe Moss had his right of reply to Morrissey's damning claims. After my Dad died, I found some words written about him on Morrissey fan sites, a portion of these fans were dissing him, calling him names
That's hard to read, people dissing your dead parent, people who don't know him, people following the lead from Morrissey, who barely knew him, but decided to immortalise him anyway by writing negatively about him, so casting my Dad that way in the eyes of the Morrissey faithful
Pretty nasty stuff, and we've never replied to it, but the gist was, among other things, that Joe Moss wanted to replace Morrissey in the Smiths. This does seem ludicrous and paranoid, but what if it were true? why would he want to get rid of Morrissey?
what could Morrissey have done that warranted his replacement? Surely there were reasons, I'd love to know what Morrissey thinks about this? #TheSmiths #Morrissey
In a twist of fate, it turns out that there are two lines of Morrisseys in our family genealogy, the Grandchildren of Joe Moss are Morrisseys down 2 grandparent lines, so is this an ancient Tipperary quarrel? I'd love to know what he thinks about this? See, when Johnny, Andy...
and Mike were living together in my Dad's house in. Heaton Chapel, Morrissey was distant, oft found on the other side of town, Altrincham and Sale way, pursuing his interests, driving in his car, hanging out with a guy who I met later on, who was the same age as me at the time
so i never got to know him, my Dad didn't want me to get to know him at the time, he told me not to get too close to Morrissey, i was a bit shocked, i wanted to get close, but i heeded his words, which is sad as I was/am a massive fan. Now I'd just love to find out why SM wrote
what he did about my dad without any evidence, damning someone on a whim without anything to back it up. I have my evidence as to why, potentially, there may have been some issues around Morrissey's character, but it would be cruel to dump them without some balance and context?
but of course Morrissey did this to my Dad, damned him, and when he died, strangers insulted him, spitting on his grave for Morrissey, who daren't come close. What was it Morrissey? You're a pale man and paling still, the least my father deserves is a right of reply
It's true that my Dad was heartbroken when he left the Smiths fold, I don't blame Morrissey, or anyone else, for that, that was his own doing, but as I said, reading insults from people who didn't know him, insults bequeathed by Morrissey, who barely knew him, is really hard!
he certainly wasn't a saint, but he was an angel to the Smiths for a time, Morrissey knows and should be grateful, he wrote endless gratitude to Joe and Janet once upon a time, but then pissed on that sentiment by writing poisonous lines, creating a negative image of Joe Moss
Thankfully Johnny did the Joe Moss hagiography, for balance, for justice, so we get the 2 sides, the angelic Joe that Johnny knew or the demonic Joe that Morrissey barely knew. I think if you write about people who aren't yourself or your family, you're cursing yourself too
tbc
i mean, the curse can also be a charm, words are so powerful that way, what I mean is, if you choose to damn someone in prose, immortalise them in a text you claim to be definitive, you're also cursing them and so invoking a curse against yourself. Be charming!
I'm an archive and archivist, I have so much data about The Smiths, and also the physical evidence that my Dad, also an archive and an archivist, left to us. He left me with many insights and quotes, opinions and moods, but I'd never just drop something without consideration...
there has to be a connection to the universe. I could quote my father on The Smiths, and Morrissey, but I'd have to fit that into an exploded drawing of everything, give it life and meaning, and be sure to write with love uppermost, so I'd never do what Morrissey did to my Dad...
and this tweet thread is a part of that exploded drawing
I saw and heard what Joe Moss brought to The Smiths, have you seen early photos? The Smiths visual style evolved through my Dad who was all about style, who had clothes shops and a factory, who walked around Paris getting style ideas from the Parisian youth..
he was influenced by preppy fashion, 50s teen fashions, Beatnik style, the French New Wave, the situationists, Warhol and the Factory, but more than the knowhow was the ability to dress, and to dress others
his record collection was full of the roots of the sounds that inspired the Smiths, once they had access to that collection, the sound became historic
he bankrolled them too, we have all the receipts, even the bill for the daffodils so many artefacts, a lovely letter from Morrissey's mum to my Dad, thanking him for all he'd done for her son. He wasn't rich, things were sold off, policies cashed in, favours bartered...
and The Smiths happened.

Related item:

There’s also the Buffy Saint Marie song that Moz covered on California Sun with virtually the same title, along with the Short story from Stephen King (69 and 72).
Don’t know anything about the Film, but I’m intrigued enough to take a look now.

Yes, he probably took the title from Buffy.

She also has a song called ‘Better to find out for yourself’ on same album.

So there you go. Yes ‘Illuminations’ a great record that should be in any tasteful music collection.

She also has a song called ‘Better to find out for yourself’ on same album.

So there you go. Yes ‘Illuminations’ a great record that should be in any tasteful music collection.
It's a wonderful, magical album. The title inspired by the work of Arthur Rimbaud, of course. There is a track on the album - Better To Find Out For Yourself - that no doubt helped to give Moz one of his solo song titles, as well as Suffer The Little Children.

Come on - it's an extremely familiar phrase that originates from the Bible, and would have been common parlance to anyone with a vaguely Christian upbringing. There's really no need for him to have lifted the title from any other source.

What lyrics would they be ?
Morrissey constantly drew from books, plays, music, art already created. He mixed morsels up with experience and new slants, out of which he then magicked up songs.

Child abuse did not become the object of much official or public attention until the 1960s, after which some very sensational first-person accounts were published that must have made an impression. An online summary of Child Protection in England, 1960-2000: Expertise, Experience and Emotion names some - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK535576/

Being a voracious reader with a librarian parent, he's likely to have become aware of this controversy and reflected it in the forging of The Smiths' line of ironmongery.

Morrissey constantly drew from books, plays, music, art already created. He mixed morsels up with experience and new slants, out of which he then magicked up songs.

Child abuse did not become the object of much official or public attention until the 1960s, after which some very sensational first-person accounts were published that must have made an impression. An online summary of Child Protection in England, 1960-2000: Expertise, Experience and Emotion names some - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK535576/

Being a voracious reader with a librarian parent, he's likely to have become aware of this controversy and reflected it in the forging of The Smiths' line of ironmongery.
Depends what you mean by 'abuse'. Physical and psychological abuse of children is a common theme of literature - the novels of the Brontes, for example. Sexual abuse less so, but there are some examples. Octave Mirbeau, who wrote The Torture Garden, also wrote an account of his childhood, Sébastien Roch, published in 1890, that condemns the abuse of a child at the hands of a Jesuit priest - way ahead of its time; and there is Lolita, of course, published in 1955.
But I would simply dispute the idea that the lyrics of The Smiths are full of child sex abuse themes. There is a theme of loss of innocence, but that is a very common theme of many writers. Suffer Little Children condemns child murder. The Hand That Rocks The Cradle could be interpreted in many different ways. Miserable Lie, Handsome Devil, This Charming Man use sexual language - again, nothing unusual there, other than the cleverness of the lyrics and the fact that they aren't explicitly about a boy girl relationship, as in most pop lyrics. Reel Around The Fountain is the one song that explicitly uses the word 'child' but it could of course be metaphorical. 'She made a man of him' is a common metaphor for loss of virginity. That's not to say that the song is definitely not about some form of underage sexual experience - that is one way of interpreting the song - but it could be interpreted in all sorts of other ways too. All are valid.
So really when you look at, the idea that child sexual abuse is some sort of theme in The Smiths is a tabloid fantasy, whilst those same tabloids were showing topless women dressed as school girls on page 3.

Back
Top Bottom