Morrissey Central "Discredited." (June 25, 2023)

I think Rick Astley should re-record the vocals on 'Bonfire of Teenagers' and 'Without Music The World Dies', and photoshop his face onto the cover art. They'd both be released immediately by major labels, be smash hits and Morrissey would earn some royalties. Moz could even to tour them as 'Rick Astley covers'. Everyone would win. :thumb:
Ja ja Ricky has no solution even with fotoshop:drama:

Is there a Lawrence here, are you the real Lawrence? because if so, I die I love Lawrence !!!! Lawrence H loves Moz!!!! Lorenzo is very, very talented!!!
And it's not fair that it's been so little recognized. It should be much more recognized. He deserves more and more!!! ❤️

Last edited:
Yea. It was probably closer to $1ook. I was conflating in my post what the Cure likely would have made after impressively selling over 50k tickets in New York. They sold out 3 nights at MSG.

I'm happy for The Cure, who deserve it. Their 3 hour shows are atmospheric and incredible. And they keep their tickets very affordable --- saying even more about a six member band with incredible stage, lighting and sound crews, instrument techs, roadies, merchandising, managers and accountants --- lots of people to pay. I saw them live once, dancing in the rain for hours.

If I was Astley, I would've absolutely done that show for free. Honestly, I would do all Smiths tributes for free. They increase his cool factor.

I have never heard of this person. He can’t even spell Morrissey right, so….

As for Rick Astley- I have never ever liked him or his voice and this just makes me despise him more. I can’t stomach cover bands. I will walk right past a Smiths cover band without a second thought. I don’t mean to offend those who enjoy going to these shows or for those who are in the shows - that’s just how I feel. But, I would think if you’re covering songs by a certain band, you at least have some respect for them. Does he love the part of Morrissey as lead singer so much that he just wants to jump in Morrissey’s skin? It’s pathetic and he’s making a fool out of himself. He is dirt beneath Moz’s shoes. He could never measure up to Morrissey’s talent. Never.

I don’t know what’s caused this feeling Morrissey has right now, be it Glastonbury, his own actions, or what idiots like the above are saying, but one thing is for sure and you can take it to the bank, Morrissey need not worry ever about being discredited. Because when it comes right down to it, everyone knows he is the greatest lyricist that’s ever come out of England and one who has influenced and inspired many, many people - and even saved lives - in this world. HE WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.

As for Rick Astley- I have never ever liked him or his voice and this just makes me despise him more. I can’t stomach cover bands. I will walk right past a Smiths cover band without a second thought. I don’t mean to offend those who enjoy going to these shows or for those who are in the shows - that’s just how I feel. But, I would think if you’re covering songs by a certain band, you at least have some respect for them. Does he love the part of Morrissey as lead singer so much that he just wants to jump in Morrissey’s skin? It’s pathetic and he’s making a fool out of himself. He is dirt beneath Moz’s shoes. He could never measure up to Morrissey’s talent. Never.

I don’t know what’s caused this feeling Morrissey has right now, be it Glastonbury, his own actions, or what idiots like the above are saying, but one thing is for sure and you can take it to the bank, Morrissey need not worry ever about being discredited. Because when it comes right down to it, everyone knows he is the greatest lyricist that’s ever come out of England and one who has influenced and inspired many, many people - and even saved lives - in this world. HE WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
You write this as if Morrissey weren’t about to start a world tour with 1st shows happening in Israel next week.

Morrissey is a successful solo artist with a catalogue of hundreds of incredible songs that he has continuously sung for his audiences over the past 3 decades.

He could, if he so desires, marquee his next tour as “Morrissey Sings The Songs Of The Smiths Which Are His Songs By Copyright” and the tour would certainly sell out.

He can do whatever he wants. He’s a big boy.

Rick loves The Smiths, and he was coming of age when the band existed. It seems to be good fun for all. It's not Morrissey (nor the other Smiths) but it's interesting -- famous artists coming together to pay homage to and encourage enjoyment from AMAZING songs. It's pretty cool in a decent way, especially if they can avoid mentioning Morrissey 2020s politics.

You are spot on about Morrissey never being discredited, 100%. He's a very special artist, timeless.
There will never be another like him. He stands alone.

You write this as if Morrissey weren’t about to start a world tour with 1st shows happening in Israel next week.

Morrissey is a successful solo artist with a catalogue of hundreds of incredible songs that he has continuously sung for his audiences over the past 3 decades.

He could, if he so desires, marquee his next tour as “Morrissey Sings The Songs Of The Smiths Which Are His Songs By Copyright” and the tour would certainly sell out.

He can do whatever he wants. He’s a big boy.
I wrote this after reading many of the post in this thread. I realize Morrissey is a big boy, but right now he’s feeling a little defeated judging by his latest post. But, yes, I, like many of us, are part of those 3 decades and I’m quite aware of what he can do.

when a university is recognized in an official capacity, it is described as 'accredited'
hence the link to 'because of my poor education'

whether this is related to the events at glastonbury is anyone's guess but that's the origin of the pun
I think you have got it makes sense now

I liked your post but I have to say, I don't see anything wrong at all with what Astley is doing and I don't think he has shown any kind of disrespect?

For years if not decades, people were always a little bit worried about his politics and his views on race. And then he decided to issue an unambiguous personal plea (i.e. not an off the cuff comment at a concert) for everyone to support a properly right wing political party.
Nor surprisingly, there was uproar and he went quiet on the subject.
A year later when we hoped we'd heard the last of it, he then decided to wear the right wing party's emblem at concerts and on TV, to end all doubt about his political beliefs. That's what has informed the court of public opinion and, really, is the outcome any surprise?
Oh, yes, it’s entirely his own fault. Just sad.

Yes, I know it's pure speculation, but IF there is a neurodiversity issue then one of the things I find really sad is that growing up in the late 50s/early 60s Manchester there would have been absolutely no awareness or understanding of neurodiverse kids who would have been labelled as strange or difficult. Fame, extraordinary talent and incredible youthful good looks allowed him a certain leeway with the press of the day up to a point until it all went sour. Now, being the age that he is, M is far too ingrained in his habitual coping/defense mechanisms to change and keeps entrenching himself further. The solution must lie in the way he is handled - you can't expect apples from an orange tree. It's just not his style to do a huge 'Mea Culpa' apology.

So effectively Mark Steel is reframing an act of fanboy love on Astley's part as an act of Astley sticking the boot in?
He should apologize only if he means it. Doesn't seem like he does.
Moz is out of touch with his audience and out of touch with the Zeitgeist. His rightwing burps are embarrassing. His albums are gathering dust on some shelve. He is no longer relevant. 🤷🏼‍♂️
So... he's supposed to agree on everything with his audience (which is way more varied than some people think) and with the "zeitgeist", read, with whatever most people think at any given moment... so, he just shouldn't think for himself?

Is he even out of touch with the zeitgeist? The left isn't the enormous majority they seem to think they are. And Moz isn't even right wing, at that (I don't think he considers himself either left nor right wing anyway)
Whether you think he’s actually racist or not, it really is a sad state of affairs that the general perception/view of him is so negative. The court of public opinion has decided, and I don’t think they’ll be changing their minds anytime soon.
Shame.
It will all be forgotten sooner or later.

I disagree. People are barely paying attention. The bigger problem is his recalcitrance - which is fundamental to his genius, of course.

Anyway, he will be fine.
People aren’t paying a great deal of attention, but they still know the things he has said/done from hearsay, things they have gleaned from Twitter, Facebook, news websites etc.
The narrative is that he has gone racist. To the general public, he’s Bernard Manning. Albeit with a better haircut.

People aren’t paying a great deal of attention, but they still know the things he has said/done from hearsay, things they have gleaned from Twitter, Facebook, news websites etc.
The narrative is that he has gone racist. To the general public, he’s Bernard Manning. Albeit with a better haircut.
It’s a general narrative based on the current extreme political climate, which will change as it always does.
No one will care about any of this in 50 years, and probably way way sooner.

Last edited:
I think if I was Morrissey and I was sat at home watching Glastonbury, and Rick Astley and Blossoms were covering my songs to rapturous applause, and then watching Johnny Marr on stage with the Pretenders, I'd definitely feel left out. Smiths-era or even up to 2000s/2010s Morrissey would have been begged to appear on stage for a duet. Sadly that is no longer the case and it must hurt a bit.

His post was probably related to the tweet posted on this thread anyway, and not with Glastonbury at all.

His post was probably related to the tweet posted on this thread anyway, and not with Glastonbury at all.
I think both. The tweet suggests that Rick Astley is in a better position to be the singer on Smiths songs these days, and Rick performed them at Glastonbury this weekend to a great response and a lot of positive press. So it is the tweet, the positive reaction to Rick at Glasto and complete lack of mention of Morrissey.

I think both. The tweet suggests that Rick Astley is in a better position to be the singer on Smiths songs these days, and Rick performed them at Glastonbury this weekend to a great response and a lot of positive press. So it is the tweet, the positive reaction to Rick at Glasto and complete lack of mention of Morrissey.
I really don’t know why the lack of mention of Morrissey is in any way important. They mentioned nobody. If they had thanked the other Smiths and omitted Morrissey, then I’d agree. But they just didn’t go there, and I think that’s ok.

Back
Top Bottom