Morrissey Central "Discredited." (June 25, 2023)

I Don’y know if any of you saw it, but BBC had an interview at glastonburry with Rick and the Guy from Blossoms. They were talking about how they loved the songs. How amazing the singing was and a lot of other praise. But while doing so they not once mentioned Morrissey by name. It was all ‘he’ sings , ‘he’ did this amazing’ bla bla. As if the avoided mentioning him on purpose. This came across very weird to me. They did not want to say Morrissey’s name. That’s why I thought he posted : discredited.
maybe, but... everyone knows who is "he". even if you don't want to say it. that's the power of his legacy. you can't hide it - Morrissey = The Smiths.

I Don’y know if any of you saw it, but BBC had an interview at glastonburry with Rick and the Guy from Blossoms. They were talking about how they loved the songs. How amazing the singing was and a lot of other praise. But while doing so they not once mentioned Morrissey by name. It was all ‘he’ sings , ‘he’ did this amazing’ bla bla. As if the avoided mentioning him on purpose. This came across very weird to me. They did not want to say Morrissey’s name. That’s why I thought he posted : discredited.
Why would anybody want to say his name ????
He’s a nasty CrankFraud who cancelled his own career by falling on his own sword. The ships crew have even started to jump off the good ship Quilloughby.
The only thing left to trade on now is past memories, selling t-shirt tatt and his signature upon anything he can get his hands on.
“Hoist the sail and fetch me some more gin Diesel !!!! Peru here we come”

Benny 🇬🇧 :knife:

Oh the irony! Morrissey fans slagging of Glastonbury Festival goers for being too middle class. I see the self awareness does not fall far from the master's knee.

I think both. The tweet suggests that Rick Astley is in a better position to be the singer on Smiths songs these days, and Rick performed them at Glastonbury this weekend to a great response and a lot of positive press. So it is the tweet, the positive reaction to Rick at Glasto and complete lack of mention of Morrissey.

if they keep it up, eventually the novelty of it will wear off.

“One musical artist has been brave enough to point out the hypocritical and harmful industry that takes place at good ol’ ‘Glasto’. Morrissey blew the whistle on his being blocked from performing The Smiths track Meat Is Murder with its video of standard practice on the big screen. He went on to state that milk production is even more cruel than meat and highlight how environmentally damaging it is.”

“One musical artist has been brave enough to point out the hypocritical and harmful industry that takes place at good ol’ ‘Glasto’. Morrissey blew the whistle on his being blocked from performing The Smiths track Meat Is Murder with its video of standard practice on the big screen. He went on to state that milk production is even more cruel than meat and highlight how environmentally damaging it is.”

but yet said artist still played there. 3 times.

Another stellar post on his shitty little blog. Can you at least dig out a live version that doesn't sound like shit?

Actually that wasn't too bad, i noped out the first time after 2 seconds, but it gets better.

A belated post in the thread on the Spectator article earlier this month makes some insightful observations that seem relevant here, including:

...As for The Smiths not really influencing anyone.....really?? Look at a lot of IndiePop released from say, 1985 to 1990, and tell me there's no influence there. Records like those released on labels like 53rd & 3rd, Sha-La-La and especially Sarah Records(although Sarah founders Matt & Claire will furiously dispute this) took clear influence from The Smiths; all trebly Rickenbackers and dolorous vocals of broken hearted boys. Some early Creation Records bear a resemblance too, 'Therese' by The Bodines sounds like 'Jeane' at twice the speed. Bands who remained forever cult heroes like The Visitors, Reserve and Bob all bore more than a trace of Smithdom(one of Bob's songs featured the lyric 'slow hand Johnny and Steven P M'). Short lived Indie Darlings The Siddeleys had a female vocalist called Johnny(hey, a girl called Johnny....how Smiths!) who was always called 'a female Morrissey', and Anna Yu from early 2000's alt-rockers LoveLikeFire is also frequently referred to as a 'female Morrissey'.

Of course in the early days The Smiths were always linked with the co-emerging James, and Bourgie Bourgie, all three bands being lumped together as 'Handsome Bands'(anyone else remember that?).
Then when we get to the 90s, there's Suede and Gene...two bands clearly and openly influenced by The Smiths. When Radiohead were recording 'The Bends' they claimed to listen to The Smiths the whole time, and 'Knives Out' was their attempt at writing a Smiths song....not a bad attempt at that.

So, just by looking at chart or mainstream music, yes you may not see much influence, but dig deep and there really is a lot there...
from https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...rts-june-6-2023.151073/page-3#post-1987525043

OMG that was my youtube channel when I was a teenager, I forgot I upload that video

Back
Top Bottom