does anyone know the background of this pic ?

vivabob

Ordinary Boy
smiths-my-poster.jpg

i have hunted for this picture for a few years , does anyone have any background on it

where was it taken and by who

smiths-my-poster.jpg

i have hunted for this picture for a few years , does anyone have any background on it

I don't know who took the photo, but I think it was snapped right before a TV performance of "Panic". I may be wrong.

It's one of my favorites. I believe the date was May 1986.

i have this image as a poster.

i'll take it out of the roll tonight and see if there is a name for the photographer.

smiths-my-poster.jpg

Here's a bigger version of it:
smiths-gannon.jpg

I don't know who the photographer is, but I would bet you it's Pat Bellis (the Smiths' press agent of the time who took most of the "off-the-cuff" images in 1986).

Here's what I have on it on my website:

Morrissey Wears A Tie Shock!! The Smiths with temporary fifth member Craig Gannon at the taping of The Old Grey Whistle Test, May 20, 1986. You can view their performance of "Bigmouth Strikes Again" here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CuZ_KKc4IQ. This image was used for a poster that was sold during the Queen Is Dead tour.

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Viacom International, Inc. "

BUGGA

Well I was looking through my Morrissey articles and I found that same little picture in the corner. It was named, "One or two things you never knew about The Smiths" It was an interview about his inspirations on Oscar Wilde, the book he wrote "James Dean not Dead" and the 50's popstar Johnnie Ray. Along with some other questions. I don't know if this helps!

Call me crazy, but I spent 4 years finding this poster... The fan that sold it to me purchased it during the North American leg of The Queen Is Dead in San Diego... Bloody beautiful.Once Sybil and I move out , It'll be the center piece of our bedroom wall.

Last edited:
"the poster only says (c) smiths/wonderland productions 1986" on the right side and the wonderland production logo on the left with their address.

It was an interview about his inspirations on Oscar Wilde, the book he wrote "James Dean not Dead" and the 50's popstar Johnnie Ray.

I'm curious about what this interview said about Johnnie Ray. I always thought that Johnnie Ray was more likely the inspiration for Mozzer's hearing aid than some letter by a deaf fan who would feel better if she saw her idol rockin' an old skool hearing aid on TOTP.

There's a lot about Moz that reminds me of Johnnie Ray.

Back
Top Bottom