does morrissey write his own songs any more?

oscillate wildly

Sorry if it sounds odd or the answer is commonly known and I just somehow missed it haha.

I read discussions here recently about different people and their ability in writing songs on his recent albums for him. Has Moz stopped writing songs or do they just help him in the process of it?

or maybe I just read things incorrectly. :p

You indeed are what people are meaning is that Morrissey has never written the instrumentals for his own work.

He's never written music, but he'll request changes in the arrangement and obviously comes up with the vocal melody.

Though I'm curious if Moz has ever hummed a tune and brought that to Alain, Boz etc. to develop.

Sorry if it sounds odd or the answer is commonly known and I just somehow missed it haha.

I read discussions here recently about different people and their ability in writing songs on his recent albums for him. Has Moz stopped writing songs or do they just help him in the process of it?

or maybe I just read things incorrectly. :p

What a stupid question.

What? I'm just calling it as it is.

woah..what's up with all these new smilies

:guitar:

^^^

I want to formally request (actually demand) that the enthusiastic dancing muffin is added to the new smilies, it's by far the best.

dancingmuffin.gif

He's never written music, but he'll request changes in the arrangement and obviously comes up with the vocal melody.

Though I'm curious if Moz has ever hummed a tune and brought that to Alain, Boz etc. to develop.

The vocal melody to 'Girl Least Likely To' is so similar to 'Only To Other People' by The Cookies (both songs even share the phrase 'How many times...' sung to the same melody.) So, I have often wondered if Moz just played the Cookies' song to Andy Rourke with the instruction 'Rip this off'!

See also 'Certain People I Know'/'Ride A White Swan' and many many more!

Maybe the question should be, does Morrissey write more of the lyrical content of each song these days?

By this I mean that he doesn't seem to 'take on loan' as much anymore. There was a time when enough digging around would reveal that vast chunks of a song came from a Shelagh Delaney play, or an old movie, or even from other songs. Does he do this less these days, being more confident in his own words, or are the sources just more obscure.

Does anybody know if large parts of any lyrics to the last couple of albums were lifted from other sources?

Maybe the question should be, does Morrissey write more of the lyrical content of each song these days?

By this I mean that he doesn't seem to 'take on loan' as much anymore. There was a time when enough digging around would reveal that vast chunks of a song came from a Shelagh Delaney play, or an old movie, or even from other songs. Does he do this less these days, being more confident in his own words, or are the sources just more obscure.

Does anybody know if large parts of any lyrics to the last couple of albums were lifted from other sources?

It's a good question and something I've thought about before. Moz used to frequently use other sources for lyrical inspiration but it was virtually only in the Smiths songs and some of the earlier solo stuff.
It's pretty obvious that his recent more stuff is just about him, his life. There seems to be growing consensus that his lyrics have lost a lot of their quality; lacking in the humour, observation and eloquence of his earlier work.
Ona positive note, at least those new song titles sound a bit more inspired than the ROTT ones and there is nothing obviously about court cases, journalists, killers, killing or being killed!

Ona positive note, at least those new song titles sound a bit more inspired than the ROTT ones and there is nothing obviously about court cases, journalists, killers, killing or being killed!

Although I am a bit worried that Mama may not be in the best of health down there on the river bed...

Oh, there's nothing sinister in that.
It's a shallow stream and she's just cooling down on a hot summer's day!

Didn't Ophelia drown in a shallow pond? Only takes an inch or two... poor mama.

And Teresa, and Carol... who are they? I know of one literary Carol, she ties in with that mama on the riverbank, but ends up, happily, down at the Palms with her one true love, neither under the ground. At the one true love's name is Teresa... has Moz been reading Highsmith this last year?

These are unusual name choices, but he wouldn't pick, say, a Jennifer to write about, it's just too ordinary a name. Common as anything.

I'm starting to get extremely curious... looked back at Quarry titles and realized how they don't advertise the contents in an obvious way, so I have very high hopes for these. Now to wait until at least August. Hopefully there will be a single released in... July? Is that too early to hope for?

Oh, for a leak.

Back
Top Bottom