Given all this brouhaha (uproar / hubbub) will "World Peace..." go up or down in the charts ?

Given all this brouhaha (uproar / hubbub) will "World Peace..." go up or down in the chart

• Total voters

Belligerent Ghoul

Hall of Famer
35c2wj5.jpg

How can I put this nicely...Americans are a junk-obsessed culture. You gave us reality TV...which was the beginning of the end of Western Civilization. I don't know what you call it morbid curiosity, something like this, so given that this story has registered in your vile pop culture (something the album failed to do), I think album will go up in U.S.A., because people want to see "who is this Morrissey guy?" Morrissey just went from a C list celebrity in U.S.A. to A list. How long will it last?

p.s. you know where you can shove your Hamburglar?

Really, the idea that controversy helps to sell records is one of the most idiotic things that you'll hear round these parts which is saying something.
When did you last buy an album because a pop star said or did, or was alleged to have said or done, something controversial?
So, a week or two ago Paul Weller had a go at bands who reform. Did that make me think, 'hmm, there's an interesting and unusual view - think I'll buy his latest album'.
Please stop posting such foolishness.

Really, the idea that controversy helps to sell records is one of the most idiotic things that you'll hear round these parts [/QUOTE ]

Right, right, right.

And when High Grant got a blowjob from a hooker and went on The Tonight Show to apologize his star did not rise? Take a look at his Filmography before and after the incident.

Really, the idea that controversy helps to sell records is one of the most idiotic things that you'll hear round these parts which is saying something.
When did you last buy an album because a pop star said or did, or was alleged to have said or done, something controversial?
So, a week or two ago Paul Weller had a go at bands who reform. Did that make me think, 'hmm, there's an interesting and unusual view - think I'll buy his latest album'.
Please stop posting such foolishness.

Mr. Weller's comments were not picked up by 200+ online publications and counting.

When did you last buy an album because a pop star said or did, or was alleged to have said or done, something controversial

1984 - The Smiths, because of the controversy surrounding " Suffer Little Children"

Every single artist/album that was targeted by Tipper Gore's PMRC in the '80s had an increase in sales as a result, and there's been suggestion over the years that those "parental advisory/explicit lyrics" stickers attract the interest of children.

That said, I don't think this story is going to affect sales of Morrissey's album. The tour cancellations have been much more widely reported on (in the US, at least), and the reaction of the general public to both that and this seems to be either "WHO?" or "Morisey [sic] is a fag loser who needs to eat a steak." The only way I could possibly see it having an effect would be if the coverage at least served to inform casual fans that there's a new album out in the first place, but I can't imagine the net result will be a higher chart position.

it might maybe and thats a very reluctant maybe help sell some units but in terms of chart impact i really really doubt it. in answer to the reality t.v question i agree as it killed freaks and geeks which is one of the best shows ever made. we did however, even just recently however, give you house of cards (admittedly based on a british show but the american one is superb), boardwalk empire, the wire, madmen, etc so i think we had a pretty good rebound in that sense.

I think it will only make people listen to it on YouTube or download it illegally.

The kind of person who would listen to an album because the artist is embroiled in a scandal isn't going to purchase the music.

I don't think this makes Morrissey A-List. I don't know if he was years ago(I'm 25), but he certainly isn't now. I don't think he would want to be chased by paparazzi non-stop. His personal life would not be such a secret anymore.

it could be argued thast with his almost total silence surrounding the album that some of those more casual fans dont know about the album or if its out yet etc. i often listen to an album on youtube first before i go out and buy it (the last few manics album being an example). maybe not with me and morrissey but with others i do so that be the case with others in this situation. wont effct the charts as thats for first week sales and wirt artists like morrissey but it could effect overall sales which could effect for example the venue sizes he plays and who wants to book him

Mr. Weller's comments were not picked up by 200+ online publications and counting.

It may make no difference in chart position. And I know you said 200+ but it's actually more than that. There is what you would find in a normal google search and then when I went to try and see if there had actually been a lawsuit filed, those keywords produced so many more results, from what appeared to be more minor publications. It really is everywhere. Even a news site in India picked it up.

Back
Top Bottom