I hate the unchanging set list because...

I hate the unchanging set list because...

• I go to multiple gigs and it becomes tedious

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • I want something different for when he comes to MY town

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Even though I'm not seeing shows it just bugs me!

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • It doesn't bother me at all!

Votes: 32 45.7%

• Total voters
Well, I like the setlist :guitar:

Since I'm only going to one gig, I wouldn't mind if he keeps it :thumb:

I can't help but feel a little envious of those of you here who are able to afford, attend and follow Moz around in Concert, I think its great but as great as the man is Live, I think I would find it tiresome boarding planes, buses, my bike, following him around, hearing the same set night after night, :lbf:

So I sympathize with some of you here about the setlist remaining the same but I guess its a chance we all take when we commit to buy tickets and follow his tours but a little change in songs played live would be great, he certainly has the plenty to choose from.

I love The Smiths' songs played live but for someone who keeps reminding us The Smiths are dead, will never re-unite, etc., he certainly plays his fair share of Smiths songs, LOL. Or maybe is just a way to get back at Joyce and him not being able to collect Smiths's song royalties from the court case settlement outside the UK? Whatever the case, its a Moz concert, not The Smiths nostalgia recital, LOL.

I live in Los Angeles, I attended to four gigs in California back in 1997, it was loads of fun but I've not done it ever since. I saw him once at the Wiltern Theater in LA, his residency there was a week, I think, that was enough for me, I mean, don't get me wrong. I'd love to follow him around in Concert but its not very cheap to do so and quite frankly, I love listening to albums more, watching the DVDs, copies of stuff I've collected over the years of his solo career and with The Smiths.

It's a waste of one of the finest canons in modern music.

Geezus Moz tours like a mad man and u guys still piss n' moan :crazy:

I have no sympathy whatsoever for you guys that are able to see Moz whenever he tours. If it's not the set list it's the fact that he has the nerve to cancel gigs, heave forbid. Oh boo hoo I'm gonna miss out on seeing him for the 20th time :(

Last edited:
Every time I've seen him the setlist has been drastically different. There are plenty of artists that just serve up the same hits year after year after year.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Some people seem to have assumed I'm going off in my Punto and following the Mozbus around the UK for the next few months. I'm freelance, and currently unemployed, seeing him once in London and at the birthday gig in Manchester simply because I felt I had to.

My point was that the reason he doesn't change the setlist is probably not because many of their fans are (assumed to be) working class, I would be surprised if that thought even crossed their mind. I would think it remains similar due to other, more practical factors.

Personally I think he is just going through the motions on this tour ala 1997 maladjusted tour.

Many of these songs were played on the greatest hits tour last year.

Crashing Bores, How could anyone possibly know how I feel, Let me Kiss you, IBEH, FOTGTD - Is he promoting YOR or Quarry?

Butchering This charming man, playing HSIN for the millionth time, very few new songs etc.....

Mcartney might play the same set every night but its a set people want to hear not what he wants to play. Unfortunately Morrissey doesnt seem to grasp this concept.

no time to read all comments so apols if repeating what others have said.
it's probably fair to say that many (if not most) bands have a pretty static set list with very few changes within any particular tour.
part of the joy of seeing Moz live is that he usually changes it round quite a lot and you never really know what song he's going to play next. makes it well worth seeing him on consecutive nights, and also makes it more exciting at the concert not knowing what's coming next.
however, this is the first time that the set list has hardly changed at all and, to make it even worse, it's very similar to last year's.
from my point of view, it just means I won't bother going to see more than one of the London shows whereas previously (e.g. last year's Roundhouse shows) I'd have gone to two or three.
why he's doing this is anyone's guess. it's obviously easier to play the same songs every night from his and the band's perspective. just a bit of a shame for the fans.

Last edited:
I don't follow the concerts on here anymore so "I ain't bovvered".

for me, its the Quarry songs that are tiresome. Everything else is good. If he were to replace 3 of those 4-5 he does nightly with just about ANY other songs from 88-97 I think we'd all be pleased.

Both of them assume most of fans are working class people who can't afford to go to alot of the gigs so they choose a setlist for this years concerts and there will be a new setlist for 2011?

I know that Morrissey often acknowledges that many people in the audience were there the night before, either at the same venue or at a different, but not too distant venue.

He knows many people are seeing multiple shows and that is the risk they take. I just think this setlist is too close the the last tour's setlist.

Not to be overly negative, but it wouldn't shock me if Morrissey plays the exact same setlist he is now both nights at the Manchester Apollo. That's just the way it is.

:lbf: If you think about it, its rather punk rawk of Moz. :guitar:

Mcartney might play the same set every night but its a set people want to hear not what he wants to play. Unfortunately Morrissey doesnt seem to grasp this concept.

Right, Morrissey plays what he wants when he wants, damn the fans, etc. I admire his chutzpah and all, but songs like "How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel," "Best Friend on the Payroll" and "Sorry Doesn't Help" don't really deserve all the attention; they really are just complaints set to music. Sometimes the audience does have a point.

If he'd throw in, say, "Nobody Loves Us," "Come Back to Camden," "Trouble Loves Me," "I've Changed My Plea to Guilty," "Whatever Happens, I Love You," "Late Night, Maudlin Street" or "Yes, I am Blind" he'd be knocking it out of the park. These songs really resonate, and time only makes them more powerful.

My opinion, of course. I'm grateful for what we have. There are some great songs in this set, and I enjoyed every show I saw on this tour. It's a shame, though, that so many great songs are going unsung.

Paul MacCartney does the same setlist and in all seriousness like Morrissey he has a vast back catalogue.

There's difference with acts like Macca(i.e.stadium/arenas)in that the lighting/set design is far more complex and usually tied into the set
making it tricky to alter.
However,Moz's is a basic set up and so should be able to alter it pretty easily.

In all honesty, the current setlist is the reason why I'm not bothering with the tour at all, it'll be the first tour I've missed in a hell of a long time.

The set just seems uninspired and lazy. I should point out that I'm not a fan of YoR which is another reason for me, I've no interest in hearing any more of those songs live.

The excuse that "the band are touring 6 days a week, they don't have time to learn songs" is utter bobbins. Look at Springsteen - he tours much more than Moz and his setlist changes dramatically every single night, throwing in songs from every era, covers, even rare tracks that never made it onto records for those completists out there!

I don't think Morrissey is that bothered about what his audience might want anymore - I know you should always play what feels right to you because you don't wanna sing words you just don't feel but I do feel like if he lightened up a little regarding old material the difference in the setlist would be huge.

As has been pointed out already, even just exchanging 3-4 more recent songs for something different would be the difference between the set feeling uninspired and it feeling like an awesome gig. I don't feel like he has any idea, even after all these years, how to build a setlist with good light and shade, really take people somewhere. Shame really.

If he could just try a couple more ideas out i'd more tempted - even something simple like the following:

SG and Maladjusted both just been reissued.
Drop a couple of songs from current set and throw in a couple of the big singalongs from those records - say, Alma Matters, Trouble Loves Me, Boy Racer and hell, even Dagenham Dave! It would catch people offguard and would make such a good atmosphere.

Just a thought...

Back
Top Bottom