I'm Ok By Myself

Mr Reynolds

At first I didn't really think much of this track. It has taken a couple of days of constant listening to YOR and now I genuinely think this track is one of the best he has ever written. Such a great vocal performance, and it really evokes a mischevious trickster quality - 'this might make you throw up in your bed, but I am OK by myself' and then the shamanic tribal 'ya da hoo's

It can be read on so many levels. Is he speaking to a potential lover, a past love, society, authority, journalists, the NME, the audience, the fans, ex-Smiths, Marr...ALL

Its a defiant and dazzling song and one of extreme triumphal power.

I'm in love.

I agree, good sir.

It took a few listens to grow on me, but listening to it today I was really impressed. Great song.

I agree too. I liked it the first time I heard it. There is so much going on in the song vocally and lyrically.

I was a first time adopter of this track, my review in the other thread are all after 1/2 song listens (not blowing my own trumpet). It is just so individual, disjointed and disfunctional, yet works :) I can't wait to see him on stage to this, it will surpass 'The Loop' stage activity.

Nice to see you are still around Mr Reynolds, any more treats in the locker for us?

Jesse's music reminds me simultaneously of Hand In Glove, The Headmaster Ritual and Sweet and Tender Hooligan - it is very Smithsesque... although obviously it is the near-demented delivery of the vocal that makes the track so great.

Nice to see you are still around Mr Reynolds, any more treats in the locker for us?

Oh yes. Under my fake Mona Lisa's in the attic...

Last edited:
Jesse's music reminds me simultaneously of Hand In Glove, The Headmaster Ritual and Sweet and Tender Hooligan - it is very Smithsesque... although obviously it is the near-demented delivery of the vocal that makes the track so great.

I like this song a great deal, but it does remind me a lot of Sweet and Tender Hooligan, particularly the intro. I'm glad i'm not the only one.

You have just committed the ultimate Morrissey Solo forum crime. Praising a song written by Jesse Tobias. You'd better hope Jamie doesn't find out!

It's a vast improvement on the album closers of the two previous albums. Mainly due to Morrissey's mad vocal rather than the music though.

Just been playing this over and over on my way home from work. f***ing brilliant song. He better play it live at every gig :D

I plead guilty as charged. It's Jesse's best Moz co-write, I think.

Which shows up the Jesse bashers for what they are. I'd love them to supply me with a list of songs to back up their case. I probably love them all :)

"I'm ok.... is my favorite track on YOR. Loved it the first second I heard it!

Definitely the "You know I couldn't last" of YOR :)

It is an OK song. After listening to it for a few times, I definitely like it more.

But still I find B-sides like Slum Mums, Public Image, Dearest Love, Children in Pieces, I Knew I Was Next, If You Don't Like Me far more memorable, melodic and polished.

The song is a very good one, no doubt. But as i said in another thread, the first thing that came to my mind when i heard this track was: this sounds familiar. After two days i finally remembered (and the older ones of you may too): the start is exactly the same as Billy Idol's White Wedding!

The song is a very good one, no doubt. But as i said in another thread, the first thing that came to my mind when i heard this track was: this sounds familiar. After two days i finally remembered (and the older ones of you may too): the start is exactly the same as Billy Idol's White Wedding!

The very same thought occurred to me.:D

Peter

Back
Top Bottom