Johnny Marr on Creative Living; mentions The Smiths and Manchester

dooms day glam... but that was always his style..one could go back to the start where David saw the darker shades of life with songs like 1969's 'We Are Hungry Men'. Yes the song 'D.Dogs' could be considered glam sure.. I think it and 'Watch that man' from Aladdin was more of a Stones rip off (which I'm sure he would've admitted) though great songs. But what is 'glam' ? could be the question to debate,but it's not important enough really. Oh it was Rick Gardiner on Low playing those leads that I believe Visconti brought in, But you're right Carlos is on that also.

Anyways Diamond Dogs is one of my favorites, an amazing theatrical and dark record, romantic, pessimistically hopeful, poetic, dirty and wonderfully weird. A world which I don't think he revisited until 1995's 'Outside'. Another brilliant work.

you can try to define glam in any way you want as there is no universal technical answer but any review makes note of its hold over from the ziggy period and the public consensus is that its a glam album. even just looking at the allmusic reviews both theres and the publics it lays out a convincing case. first two albums meh, then the ronson period where everything is considered great, the hes the only musician and it goes back down, gets carlos for young americans and the two songs condidered great off of that album feature carlos and on fame he has a writing credit and is considered the enduring track from that record. uses carlos and slick (i can never remember what album he plays on) for station to station as well as gardnier and enos ideas about ambient for low and its great again though people only seem to credit bowie as if he did it all. i mean low sounds more like a eno record than a bowie record. fripp is on heros and i hope i dont have to say how technically great he is and its still good. uses the guy from the cars for for lets dance as well as the iggy influence etc. have you ever read what carlos had to say about david bowie and credit given for music. i think of bowie like i think of marr, given way to much credit for everything and sometimes he was happy to take it

Ah, Johnny Marr.

I have to admit that I find tales of his clean-living lifestyle a bit dull - all that running and meditating and sipping white tea from Sri Lanka - and his political philosophising often sounds trite, but he comes across as a guy who is happy in his own skin. Now that they are both in their 50s, it's sad that Morrissey can't find some peace of mind for himself too. How old do you need to be before you accept who you are and how fortunate you've been, in the grand scheme of things? Truck on Johnny, nobody can take it away from you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, Johnny Marr.

I have to admit that I find tales of his clean-living lifestyle a bit dull - all that running and meditating and sipping white tea from Sri Lanka - and his political philosophising often sounds trite, but he comes across as a guy who is happy in his own skin. Now that they are both in their 50s, it's sad that Morrissey can't find some peace of mind for himself too. How old do you need to be before you accept who you are and how fortunate you've been, in the grand scheme of things? Truck on Johnny, nobody can take it away from you.

Thank you for posting this. As I have written on these boards many times before my first introduction to The Smiths came through TQID album. And it was an album played on a record player. To me this was the pinnacle of Morrissey's career. All before and all after was a reach for this complete, and all encompassing conquering of popular music.

"A plundering desire for love" that was it for me. I found my heroine. Probably saved me from drugs in real life. For all of Morrissey's faults, for all his missteps, his temper tantrums and unbelievable acts of head scratching decision making. There is this and always this. Why couldn't they work things out and lasted like a U2 or the Rolling Stones? A question of a weightless and wasted quality I guess. But nevertheless these gems in the sands of time remain. Yet to be discovered by new generations of emotionally wanting explorers and oh what a treasure they will find.

Ah, Johnny Marr.

being 50 doesnt mean that your problems are over and that you have to accept life. some might see acceptence as defeat and i for one appreciate a struggle and the strength it takes to keep going

:thumb: from the +50 club!

i must say im gaining myself and many many people thought my personality a result of youthful whatever and that id normalize with age and boy were they wrong. i only intesified with experience

i must say im gaining myself and many many people thought my personality a result of youthful whatever and that id normalize with age and boy were they wrong. i only intesified with experience

If we could only get Morrissey to leave the remaining greys and whites au naturel. Let that Senior Sass Freak Flag Fly! Octogenarian shame should NOT be the name, folks.

Thank you for posting this. As I have written on these boards many times before my first introduction to The Smiths came through TQID album. And it was an album played on a record player. To me this was the pinnacle of Morrissey's career. All before and all after was a reach for this complete, and all encompassing conquering of popular music.

"A plundering desire for love
" that was it for me. I found my heroine. Probably saved me from drugs in real life. For all of Morrissey's faults, for all his missteps, his temper tantrums and unbelievable acts of head scratching decision making. There is this and always this. Why couldn't they work things out and lasted like a U2 or the Rolling Stones? A question of a weightless and wasted quality I guess. But nevertheless these gems in the sands of time remain. Yet to be discovered by new generations of emotionally wanting explorers and oh what a treasure they will find.

Thanks, evennow - such a terrific album. I always thought that lyric was "blundering desire...", though - love that line.

- - - Updated - - -

being 50 doesnt mean that your problems are over and that you have to accept life. some might see acceptence as defeat and i for one appreciate a struggle and the strength it takes to keep going

Hello,

No, I absolutely agree - I just meant that perhaps it's a time to take stock of life, and not really seek to be bearing grudges, carrying on old arguments and starting new ones, becoming bitter as it often seems Morrissey is.

Thanks, evennow - such a terrific album. I always thought that lyric was "blundering desire...", though - love that line.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello,

No, I absolutely agree - I just meant that perhaps it's a time to take stock of life, and not really seek to be bearing grudges, carrying on old arguments and starting new ones, becoming bitter as it often seems Morrissey is.

i guess it depends on how much you care are about what those arguments are over. some things i dont wanna forget. i think morrissey a very happy person who doesnt like many people in generl and is often asked to speak about them. i think morrissey laughs more every day than people seem to think he does

Ok, let's get this on track. The Smiths were 4 people. Greater than the sum of their parts etc. All were individually great. But together, something else again.
I've seen Johnny live, really good (also seen Moz many times- IMHO better, but whatever).

Moz has always been, ....well, Moz really. Johnny seems to have twisted and turned, and wore the right colours that were needed depending on the situation. But again, hey, whatever.
They both had careers beyond 1987, and to varying degrees, successful. But you know what, they're still there doing it.
Moz's career isn't a car crash. It's just Moz.
Johnny doing his stuff, and yeah, nice guy. It will be interesting to see what he writes in his biography.
I'm still left hanging about Moz's brief reference in his, when he mentions him and Johnny took a drive, and Johnny says something like, 'you still don't know why, do you.'. FFS, don't keep us all hanging. Why? Why? What went on?
Is it a conspiracy between the two of them to keep up the interest, and for us to buy whatever they publish? Well, it's workimg....... I even read LOTL, in case Moz dropped in an obscure reference to the 1987 break up! Yeah, I know.....

It's all a build up to the inevitable reunion anyway...! :)

Obviously, Moz and Johnny had a lot in common musically - but I think the positive and negative energy aspects of their personalities was part of the ying and yang that helped push the Smiths into something greater than the sum of their parts. But, whilst that's great for us to listen to on the outside, actually living in the band 24 hours a day it was bound to push them apart eventually. Morrissey could probably still do with someone like Johnny to balance him out, loathe as he would be to admit it, as I suspect it would chill him out a bit and lead to less self-inflicted career destruction. But still - thanks for all the great music guys.

"There are definitely times in life when it’s actually better to do nothing, more productive even, than to do something." So true.

Great interview. Thanks for sharing

Shame both Marr and Morrissey did~t realize this when The Smiths imploded and done something more interesting with their lives.
Like drive a bus or something.

All I can say is that I'd rather take Morrissey's negative energy pill. And what's all that bs about art of doing nothing? Just laughable. I guess Johnny is now happy hippie. Hm... I can smell the patchouli oil.

I agree, i love the way Morrissey has absolutely nothing positive to say in an interview but it makes you love him more, he isn't fake.

Ok, let's get this on track. The Smiths were 4 people. Greater than the sum of their parts etc. All were individually great. But together, something else again.
I've seen Johnny live, really good (also seen Moz many times- IMHO better, but whatever).

Moz has always been, ....well, Moz really. Johnny seems to have twisted and turned, and wore the right colours that were needed depending on the situation. But again, hey, whatever.
They both had careers beyond 1987, and to varying degrees, successful. But you know what, they're still there doing it.
Moz's career isn't a car crash. It's just Moz.
Johnny doing his stuff, and yeah, nice guy. It will be interesting to see what he writes in his biography.
I'm still left hanging about Moz's brief reference in his, when he mentions him and Johnny took a drive, and Johnny says something like, 'you still don't know why, do you.'. FFS, don't keep us all hanging. Why? Why? What went on?
Is it a conspiracy between the two of them to keep up the interest, and for us to buy whatever they publish? Well, it's workimg....... I even read LOTL, in case Moz dropped in an obscure reference to the 1987 break up! Yeah, I know.....

It's all a build up to the inevitable reunion anyway...! :)

lmao i have to admit i'm fascinated by the relationship. I mean, i'm not one those crazy fans on tumbl who think that there was an affair betwenn moz and marr, but they used to have such a cute friendship and it's a shame how it all ended. I don't think we will ever known the real reasons for the break up tho

nah, a marr and moz reunion will never happen, even tho i will admit it would make me happy to see them together again if only for a few gigs :)

I agree, i love the way Morrissey has absolutely nothing positive to say in an interview but it makes you love him more, he isn't fake.

Yes, he is fake. And a terrible, insensitive, and mean person.

Yes, he is fake. And a terrible, insensitive, and mean person.

Morrissey should've been tattooed or branded with FAKE on his fivehead ages ago as a warning!

rm85cover.jpg

Morrissey should've been tattooed or branded with FAKE on his fivehead ages ago as a warning!

rm85cover.jpg

Yes, he can be an a**hole but no more than anyone else and i like the way he sings. How do you know he is fake? Do you have tea with him? None of you know him i presume.

Back
Top Bottom