Johnny Marr plays Smiths songs with orchestra in Manchester (December 7-8, 2023)

Surface posted the link in the original thread:

Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want

Also:

How Soon Is Now?

Panic

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

EDIT 4:24PM PT
link posted by Mozzer1980:

Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me

Image from unknown Instagram source posted by Amy:

full

Related item:

Last edited:
How often does he do those Electronic songs though?
I think he's played 'Getting Away With It' at every show I've seen him play. 'Get the Message' less often, but I've still heard him play it several times, so it's not exactly a rarity.

I know it's hard for some people round here to understand, but for a lot of people who go to Johnny's shows, those songs clearly mean as much to them (if not more, judging by reactions) as 'How Soon is Now' etc.

Oops, the silly bitter man is back, Johnny's just played to 10000 people with the majority of his set being his solo stuff, he's also just recently released another album that landed in the top 10 in the charts. Don't see many M attacks in this thread either.
Glad you enjoyed. Was there on the first night and it was f***ing great. Although everyone just stood there as though they were dead. I hate that, but it seems to be what people are like at UK gigs now. Boring.

Roll on seeing IDLES next December for two nights at the Apollo. Will be right in amongst the craziness.

We could only hope or assume that Johnny would have these shows recorded professionally to mix later and if he likes them enough , then release them.

The point went over your head. And Surface, I would think you must be as bored as me, because we’ve had this discussion many times before. Anyway, the point is… the number of people that pay to see a performer doesn’t actually mean that the songs, performance is actually good, nor does popularity magically turn someone’s music or show into art or music of good quality.

That’s not to say what musical acts do can’t be enjoyed for whatever reason people enjoy them for.

Edit: btw, I’m not knocking Johnny. But I think he really should have done 2 nights of just Smiths songs to be honest.
There was a professional filming of it going on at the back. I do know that because I saw it. It was a lot more than your normal sound desk setup.

I think he's played 'Getting Away With It' at every show I've seen him play. 'Get the Message' less often, but I've still heard him play it several times, so it's not exactly a rarity.

I know it's hard for some people round here to understand, but for a lot of people who go to Johnny's shows, those songs clearly mean as much to them (if not more, judging by reactions) as 'How Soon is Now' etc.
He plays Getting away with it and Get the message a lot, although they were re worked for these gigs

Probably more recognizable. Didn’t they chart higher than Smiths singles?

The lyrics are a such an authentic product of Morrissey's own very distinctive world view and personality (disorder) that anyone else singing them always sounds like empty, meaningless third-rate karaoke. If the choice is between JM's expert musicians and arrangements without M's voice or M's lacklustre band with M's voice singing his own lyrics, then I'm afraid it's Morrissey every time. Much easier to forgive musical shortcomings when you have the original authentic voice. This is like hearing Ringo Starr trying to sing The Long and Winding Road.

Hear hear ! Can’t beat that voice, or the source. It’s why people still go to see him live, it was never about the band, even in 91.

Last edited:
The lyrics are a such an authentic product of Morrissey's own very distinctive world view and personality (disorder) that anyone else singing them always sounds like empty, meaningless third-rate karaoke. If the choice is between JM's expert musicians and arrangements without M's voice or M's lacklustre band with M's voice singing his own lyrics, then I'm afraid it's Morrissey every time. Much easier to forgive musical shortcomings when you have the original authentic voice. This is like hearing Ringo Starr trying to sing The Long and Winding Road.

I guess that’s why California Son did so poorly, no one was interested in Morrissey’s inauthentic versions of those covers.

Hear hear ! Can’t beat that voice, or the source. It’s why people still go to see him live, it was never about the band, even in 91.

I doubt that anyone would disagree about Morrissey's voice and Marr will never be able to recreate that or the passion that comes with the voice, however these gigs were celebrating his 10 years as a solo artist and 70% of the set was non Smiths related.

There was a professional filming of it going on at the back. I do know that because I saw it. It was a lot more than your normal sound desk setup.
Filming at the front too, but only during certain bits that I spotted - I'm guessing this is some footage here:

Filming at the front too, but only during certain bits that I spotted - I'm guessing this is some footage here:

Ahh, yes. I haven't seen that. There was a camera situated next to the sound desk and another behind me on the platform. This was filmed on the platform because the camera near the sound desk was on the left, and this looks to be exactly where the second camera was - at the very back and off centre again but to the right . It would be awesome if you could actually buy it. I certainly would. Felt like a special night.

My 63 year old mother was on such a high when we were on the way out that she started kicking the cans that were all over the floor, lol, which has resulted in her screwing up her back.

It's going to be real fun travelling back to Manchester on Thursday to see The Chameleons with her yelping every time she moves.

IMG_2360.jpeg
IMG_2359.jpeg
IMG_2380.jpeg
Ahh, yes. I haven't seen that. There was a camera situated next to the sound desk and another behind me on the platform. This was filmed on the platform because the camera near the sound desk was on the left. It would be awesome if you could actually buy it. I certainly would. Felt like a special night.

My 63 year old mother was on such a high when we were on the way out that she started kicking the cans that were all over the floor, lol, which has resulted in her screwing up her back.

It's going to be real fun travelling back to Manchester on Thursday to see The Chameleons with her yelping every time she moves.

I took some pics from behind and to the side of the desk and you can see all the kit, there did seem to be a lot of stuff so hopefully it was being recorded.

I doubt that anyone would disagree about Morrissey's voice and Marr will never be able to recreate that or the passion that comes with the voice,

however these gigs were celebrating his 10 years as a solo artist and 70% of the set was non Smiths related.

Yes, In that case he doesn’t need a voice that’s great. His fans don’t really seem to care about such things, in context of what he (Marr) can offer.

I took some pics from behind and to the side of the desk and you can see all the kit, there did seem to be a lot of stuff so hopefully it was being recorded.
For some reason, I could only view the first one.

I'm wondering whether he performed the exact same setlist both nights. Hmm. I assume that he probably did. I should've kept track of the setlist on Thursday.

Yes, In that case he doesn’t need a voice that’s great. His fans don’t really seem to care about such things, in context of what he (Marr) can offer.
Most of us are realistic about it. It goes without saying that Marr does not have as good a voice as M, but then M can't play guitar like Marr. Nostalgia plays a part too, but then it plays a part in M's gigs as well.

I will always love M, but a lot of people, including myself, travel across the UK and further to see Marr. I spoke to a couple who had arrived from Germany specifically to see him. If you like Marr pay for a ticket and go see him; if you don't then don't. It's as simple as that. Same goes for people slagging M off too.

Most of us are realistic about it. It goes without saying that Marr does not have as good a voice as M, but then M can't play guitar like Marr. Nostalgia plays a part too, but then it plays a part in M's gigs as well.

I will always love M, but a lot of people, including myself, travel across the UK and further to see Marr. I spoke to a couple who had arrived from Germany specifically to see him. If you like Marr pay for a ticket and go see him; if you don't then don't. It's as simple as that. Same goes for people slagging M off too.

Sure. I agree. I’m just saying his audience doesn’t expect or even need the same depth and richness of voice that Morrissey possesses. Marr makes decent toe tapping music, the popularity of his solo offerings proves it’s not about the voice. Look to Moz
as I do, for a voice that comforts and consoles and tells a story in itself without even singing a word, just in the tone of it, it’s really something special as we all know.

IMG_2380.jpeg
IMG_2360.jpeg
IMG_2359.jpeg
For some reason, I could only view the first one.

I'm wondering whether he performed the exact same setlist both nights. Hmm. I assume that he probably did. I should've kept track of the setlist on Thursday.

I'll try to post again and yes it was the same set both nights.

How lazy. Obviously doesn’t care about his fans. ;)

Probably the complexity of piecing it all together. When I went to see the National in September at Alexander Palace they played 30 songs on the first night and 30 completely different songs on the 2nd night which is great if you went to both but frustrating if you went to one as I did.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom