Johnny Marr's son calls Morrissey a racist on Instagram

EgY7B7-XkAA1LVk

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Some kid puts a Morrissey is a Racist t shirt on instagram.

Who cares. It only backs up what a lot of people also have said and thought.

By posting this on this site and giving it 15 pages of attention you have actually done the kid a huge favour and got his opinion out there.

Who needs social media when Morrissey-Solo will get your message out for you.

Marr needed someone to turn his backing tracks into great songs. He couldn't do that himself and he still can't, because he can't sing, he can't write decent lyrics, and he can't phrase interesting vocal melodies. 'Panic' for example is just a catchy glam rock riff without Morrissey's words and vocal. Give that riff to someone else, or let Johnny himself turn it into a song, and the results would have been a thousand times diminished.

100%. I like his solo stuff but there is simply no Johnny track which couldn't be improved by having a better vocal melody and better lyrics. Even New Town Velocity, which is gorgeous and builds so well, is limited by vocals that make absolutely no impact when they come in. Morrissey would have made that song a classic.

But none of the kids I spoke to have heard about the rage. Artists are in the media all the time but for the most part I don't know who they are either and it doesn't make me suddenly listen to their work. I just ignore the news about them and that is what they do if Morrissey if in the internet. They believe it is probably related to some old dude that maybe their parents knew of but they don't consider it or him or them to be relevant to them.

These kids will soon be in the marrying years and then they will have kids and their kids will never learn of The Smiths or Morrissey either because there will be no parental knowledge of them coming down the line. Many of them will become those drama teachers and they won't be teaching about The Smiths but other artists they do actually know. And so it goes.

But they will always remember Electronic.

and why do you think he would have been chortling? How about the other scenario, and that is the one where he actually does believe Morrissey is a racist and he feels strongly about it and that is why he posted what he did?

To call a 28yr old man a naughty schoolboy just because you don't agree with his view is a little idiotic.
In my opinion Marr junior comes across like a schoolboy with this poor attempt at humour because that's what it is, it's nowt to do with what he thinks about Moz. If anyone asked you what your favourite Smiths track is, would you honestly stick an answer like that on social media? Is that a mature thing to do? The guy is an idiot who thinks he's clever.

Marr needed someone to turn his backing tracks into great songs. He couldn't do that himself and he still can't, because he can't sing, he can't write decent lyrics, and he can't phrase interesting vocal melodies. 'Panic' for example is just a catchy glam rock riff without Morrissey's words and vocal. Give that riff to someone else, or let Johnny himself turn it into a song, and the results would have been a thousand times diminished. I'm not sure if it's ego or financial necessity, but I reckon Johnny and Niles can't see the chasm in quality between their songs and Morrissey's (ie. the songs Morrissey created for The Smiths out of Johnny Marr/Andy Rourke/John Porter's music). At least in Johnny's case, he has the scope (given his reputation) to work with more talented singers/lyricists than himself in order to create better songs - albeit they'll never have the unique brilliance of Morrissey at his best - in other words, he'll never meet another Morrissey, but even so he could still be doing better stuff if he swallowed his ego. Niles, based on a listen to his songs on youtube, can probably carve out a respectable living as a session guitarist in years to come, should he ever need the money (which of course is unlikely), but he'll never be making an independent income from his own song royalties. His stuff is the musical equivalent of vanity publishing.

🤒

you are giving the snot nosed mini twat non existing :guitar:
ability when serbian claw hammer make better sounds FFS:blushing:

In my opinion Marr junior comes across like a schoolboy with this poor attempt at humour because that's what it is, it's nowt to do with what he thinks about Moz. If anyone asked you what your favourite Smiths track is, would you honestly stick an answer like that on social media? Is that a mature thing to do? The guy is an idiot who thinks he's clever.
Quite right too. Heaven forfend your hero would stoop under such a low bar, for example his description of Gail Shea..."...although given her 78% pork girth it could take nine wielding axemen and at least six daylight hours to finish her off."

But a song like that will always sound like New Order so by just selling it under another name makes no sense to me at all. Those side projects will always bear resemblance or be a complete copy of their day job bands.
People put too much effort into supporting this and that band when they all sound the same as the original band the members come from. Bernard invited some friends to be part of his side project but always had to return to New Order.

Bernard has never left New Order, he has had a couple of side project in Electronic and Bad Lieutenant.

But they will always remember Electronic.

I wasn't talking about Electronic. I was talking about your idea of legacy generally. Most artists and bands we class as in our top list will disappear from the culture of our descendants.

In my surveys in their late teens and early 20s knew who The Beatles, The Stones, Bon Jovi, Oasis, Kraftwerk, Nirvana etc were but they didn't know who The Smiths or Morrissey were and if that is the case now it doesn't bode well for what will be the case in 50 years time for the legacy you speak of.

Then maybe he shouldn't mention Morrissey when someone asks him about his Dad's old band.

Well that is up to him I guess.

At the end of the day everyone on here is up in arms about it but also all these people say he is a non entity. So then why be bothered?

Most people who consider Moz to be racist already believe that before a 28yr old posted it and most people who don't believe it won't suddenly be moved to believing it because he says so.

It isn't really a thing of relevance.

People have the ability to make their own minds up on the subject matter and him posting his view via a t shirt and the pages of people posting attacks on him on here won't make any difference to those minds that are already made up.

If people would have ignored it then it would have been barely noticeable.

If you google the event you won't really find it except on links relating to this site. I think this shows at the end of the day no one really is interested one way or another. Maybe that is a sign that not even bad press about Morrissey makes the media these days. That probably says more than what Nile Marr thinks.

Why has it nothing to do with what he thinks about Moz?

Social networking has been full of old regular Morrissey fans posting photos on their pages of similar t shirts. I've seen many of them over the past 5 years.

It is nothing new.

I wasn't talking about Electronic. I was talking about your idea of legacy generally. Most artists and bands we class as in our top list will disappear from the culture of our descendants.

In my surveys in their late teens and early 20s knew who The Beatles, The Stones, Bon Jovi, Oasis, Kraftwerk, Nirvana etc were but they didn't know who The Smiths or Morrissey were and if that is the case now it doesn't bode well for what will be the case in 50 years time for the legacy you speak of.

I'm glad you conducted this extensive survey.

Well that is up to him I guess.

At the end of the day everyone on here is up in arms about it but also all these people say he is a non entity. So then why be bothered?

Most people who consider Moz to be racist already believe that before a 28yr old posted it and most people who don't believe it won't suddenly be moved to believing it because he says so.

It isn't really a thing of relevance.

People have the ability to make their own minds up on the subject matter and him posting his view via a t shirt and the pages of people posting attacks on him on here won't make any difference to those minds that are already made up.

If people would have ignored it then it would have been barely noticeable.

If you google the event you won't really find it except on links relating to this site. I think this shows at the end of the day no one really is interested one way or another. Maybe that is a sign that not even bad press about Morrissey makes the media these days. That probably says more than what Nile Marr thinks.

I know it won't make a difference to Moz - I was talking about Nile's career.

Why has it nothing to do with what he thinks about Moz?

Social networking has been full of old regular Morrissey fans posting photos on their pages of similar t shirts. I've seen many of them over the past 5 years.

It is nothing new.

What did he do in 2015?

People need to give the kid a break. Seems he’s angry at Morrissey which is understandable as he’s obviously watched Moz concerts and seen the devotion fans have, he probably feels resentful that Moz has such successes which he would love his father to have had? Envy is always converted into anger with young people, one day he’ll have to accept how things turned out, when he matures. I understand him, poor boy.

People need to give the kid a break. Seems he’s angry at Morrissey which is understandable as he’s obviously watched Moz concerts and seen the devotion fans have, he probably feels resentful that Moz has such successes which he would love his father to have had? Envy is always converted into anger with young people, one day he’ll have to accept how things turned out, when he matures. I understand him, poor boy.

He's not young, he's not poor, and he's had every break going cos he's Johnny Marr Junior.

I'm glad you conducted this extensive survey.

As I said. You try it. Ask away

I never once said it was an extensive survey but you like putting words in people's mouths. I explained already it was part of a lecture I gave.

I discovered this as part of a lecture course I gave a while ago in several 6 form colleges and universities regarding culture and part of the lecture was a survey to demonstrate various points on cultural legacy.

I included The Smiths and Morrissey in those questions amongst others and I am just relaying the outcome to you.

I never said it was a a definitive situation and maybe if you just chilled a little every time someone says something you don't like or that appears to attack your idols maybe you will answer more logically rather than in your usual toy throwing manner.

I was talking generically about legacies and you will be very surprised as I was how little the youth of today know about the things you hold dear. For the most part they have their own cultural idols and they defend those too.

I have also asked my nephews the same question yesterday and they have never heard of The Smiths of Morrissey. This shouldn't be too big a surprise though. None of their parents ever liked The Smiths or Morrissey but are very much musically active and some of their parents interests have filtered down but not these.

I'm not saying this to say The Smiths were not important in culture at the time but they have less of a relevance to today's youth than you may imagine. My nephews listen frequently to Nirvana and Bowie amongst other more recent suff I am not really familiar with but Morrissey is not part of their culture.

Back
Top Bottom