Julie Hamill YT: "Andrew Paresi tracks drums on Stephen Street Suedehead" (April 16, 2023)

Screenshot_20230416-184702.png

Brief clip to help advertise related item below.
FWD.

Related item:

i came across it on youtube just as i was scrolling through,i think it sounds like him and the style of the song is something akin to an M track.
Absolutely, maybe the guy who did it could record and release 'Bonfire of Teenagers' for us?

That was one of several missed opportunities. On the one hand, the Langer/ Winstanley stuff on Bona Drag is very good. 'November' a career high. But musically the stuff Vini was putting out as Durutti Column (with Street producing) was sublime. A fuller collaboration could have been timeless.
And as always, relationships soured.
But those '89 - '90 one off singles are very special and odd in their own sweet way

Andrew Paresi is easily the best drummer Morrissey's worked with and Morrissey has worked with a lot of excellent drummers... and Spencer Cobrin, jk he had his moments.

Get Stephen Street back in the gang and ditch the ponces!
Unfortunately Street was never really part of the "gang" so to speak but he bloody well should've been front and centre on stage in my opinion instead of being relegated to the basement. He was certainly talented and handsome enough.

Twiddling the knobs, Street was smart and good looking in the TLOTFIP video as a part of that wonderful but short-lived The Smiths line-up (without Marr).

Andrew Paresi is easily the best drummer Morrissey's worked with and Morrissey has worked with a lot of excellent drummers... and Spencer Cobrin, jk he had his moments.
Don't know, if he was the best. Andrew's style and sound are tied to the 80s. He has several other talents and never shared a stage with our beloved Morrissey. Maybe a clash of egos would be unavoidable. He surely would be a hell of a rhythm-section together with Street who also knows how to PRODUCE Morrissey's voice like no other.
Isn't it sad, those fab musicians are just the highlight of a fan meeting and not part of a big Morrrissey reboot 2023?

Don't know, if he was the best. Andrew's style and sound are tied to the 80s. He has several other talents and never shared a stage with our beloved Morrissey. Maybe a clash of egos would be unavoidable. He surely would be a hell of a rhythm-section together with Street who also knows how to PRODUCE Morrissey's voice like no other.
Isn't it sad, those fab musicians are just the highlight of a fan meeting and not part of a big Morrrissey reboot 2023?
I recall and interview from many years ago in which Paresi attributed Morrissey's reluctance to tour with him to his 'drumming face' while playing, or somesuch. I think there was also reference to a ponytail, an aesthetic no-no.

Twiddling the knobs, Street was smart and good looking in the TLOTFIP video as a part of that wonderful but short-lived The Smiths line-up (without Marr).
I know. That was The Smiths 2.0 right there with Gannon and Street. That video is by far the best he's ever done in my opinion. It was such a great song to burst out with after Viva Hate to yet again show that Morrissey can stand on his own two feet without Marr. They all look so slick.

I know. That was The Smiths 2.0 right there with Gannon and Street. That video is by far the best he's ever done in my opinion. It was such a great song to burst out with after Viva Hate to yet again show that Morrissey can stand on his own two feet without Marr. They all look so slick.
It's one of those videos, that made you sigh: "Dear God, why don't I look and dress like Morrissey, but more like Andre Paresi?" No one looked like that in 1989 and sang the most irresistible song among many irresistible ones he penned. Nerdy detail: Graig Gannon looks almost as good. Maybe there's an unavailable The Smiths II track from the 1989 phase. You should ask Street about it next weekend.

Last edited:
Here's Brendan Buckley also playing Suedehead.
Remarkably different styles between these 2 excellent drummers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I also play drums reasonably well and recognise myself in the strained expression on Andrew's face when holding a faster 4/4 tackle. Morrissey would therefore never have hired me for the stage. :-(

Imagine being trap-doored for your strained facial expressions then seeing Jesse in the band for nearly two decades!

But don't you also suffer from that other major life hindrance of a mutation of the MC1R gene, on chromosome 16? (Mutations MC1R, Chromosome 16.)
As a "Boris Becker-like" Kraut, partly, yes, but my hair is only reddish where just the doctor is allowed to look every few years.
It is bitter, that the Kill Uncle musicians ("Bald" Bedders - basses anybody?) were all not the guys, Morrissey wanted on stage. None of them were attractive rockabilly heroes. But this arrogance was still outrageously charming in 91/92. Take it from someone, who still saw Kristopher Pooley live.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom