Julie Hamill YT: "Andrew Paresi tracks drums on Stephen Street Suedehead" (April 16, 2023)

Screenshot_20230416-184702.png

Brief clip to help advertise related item below.
FWD.

Related item:

Morrissey's problem is he won't work with the people who are best for him to work with. I think Johnny and Stephen are tied, they brought different things out of Morrissey. I'd put Alain at a close second. Morrissey cannot do this alone, this is not all based on his talent alone, as much as he'd like to think it is. I used to think it was until BOT, it's dreadful, or what we heard of it is.

Interesting - I'd not heard that. I suspect Street got himself put back in Moz's blacklist after publicly criticizing his editing tracks on the last 'Viva Hate' re-issue though, so I guess this was never a realistic option.
Good point. However, the idea of Street producing an AW solo record is intriguing.

Interesting little factoid... before he was told Joe C. was to produce the WMTWD sessions, Alain was pushing for Street to be behind the boards in France when it came time to record. He's got the highest respect for him and his work and has never worked with him. So, it was both for selfish reasons as well as what he felt would be a smart move for M, that he mentioned it. Working with Joe turned out to be a great experience, though. When it comes time to record the AW solo full length, I'm sure Stephen Street's name will be mentioned again.
A casual remark, however, shows that Whyte as a musician has regsitrated the sentiment on Twitter (Tim's lisening parties f. e.) and Facebook, where people credit him with making them feel special about the old sound and music of the 80s and 90s. It is all the more interesting, that Whyte then dared to bring this up but other forces or vibes in the band fixated on Joe C. Another piece of the jigsaw in his departure. But Alain Whyte must also be aware, that he will be asked about the reasons for his sudden departure at every promo interview for his upcoming solo record, which will probably also be based on Morrissey's vintage sound with Stephen Street at the helm. But this time it won't turn out like post-2004, where at some point people didn't want to ask why anymore. Can this be explained succinctly as "I was grateful for the one year in the band and then wanted to get my own solo career going"?

if Street is producing Alain’s album(?) that would be awesome. Honestly, I felt Alain’s solo releases were lacking in the production department, and Street could definitely work some magic there.
Hope that happens (y)

Interesting little factoid... before he was told Joe C. was to produce the WMTWD sessions, Alain was pushing for Street to be behind the boards in France when it came time to record. He's got the highest respect for him and his work and has never worked with him. So, it was both for selfish reasons as well as what he felt would be a smart move for M, that he mentioned it. Working with Joe turned out to be a great experience, though. When it comes time to record the AW solo full length, I'm sure Stephen Street's name will be mentioned again.

I wish him the best of luck, but from what we’ve heard so far I don’t think Alain has much chance to succeed on his own unless he relies heavily on a Smiths-like sound and aesthetic, which with Gannon and Street would be expected.
However he needs to improve his lyric writing.

I wish him the best of luck, but from what we’ve heard so far I don’t think Alain has much chance to succeed on his own unless he relies heavily on a Smiths-like sound and aesthetic, which with Gannon and Street would be expected.

However he needs to improve his lyric writing.

a good voice or good lyrics, one or the other would help. Having both is a bit rare for a song writer.
Though a good production would help, sonic richness and impact, arrangements, etc.

Given that Joe Chiccarelli and Morrissey have been thick as thieves in recent years, this probably was viewed askance by M. Street said several years ago that he and M had put the water under the bridge but it's hard to envision them working together again - and I had forgotten he was displeased with the reordering/reconfiguring of tracks on the last VH reissue.

In my mind, I had wondered if the recording process for WMTWD was fraught or problematic in any way. If the recordings ever do see light of day, I hope the re-severed alliance won't result in any removal of Alain from the recordings.

It would certainly be interesting to hear Street producing the Whyte/Day/Cobrin/Gannon aggregation. I would hazard a guess that that would put paid to any future collaborations with M and AW, though.

Last edited:
Morrissey's problem is he won't work with the people who are best for him to work with. I think Johnny and Stephen are tied, they brought different things out of Morrissey. I'd put Alain at a close second. Morrissey cannot do this alone, this is not all based on his talent alone, as much as he'd like to think it is. I used to think it was until BOT, it's dreadful, or what we heard of it is.
I don't think anyone could accuse Morrissey of doing it alone, when that album was recorded with the likes of Andrew Watt, Chad Smith, Josh Klinghoffer etc.

I don’t think Alain or Boz brought anything out of him. They facilitated it, and thank f*** they did.
This new crew… they just give him pub-rock or synthy-shit songs.. and he likes them.. so he finds lyrics that fit. Usually, that means just repeating the same lines over again.
For all we know, he could have a folder full of life-changing lyrics, but the musicians he has chosen just don’t lend themselves to that.

Imagine ‘Why Don’t You Find Out For Yourself’ set to one of Tobias’ monstrosities. It wouldn’t be a million miles away from the This Charming Man debacle they put together a few years ago. Not sure if UncleSkinny would be front row, hollering and whooping, for that one.

I don’t think Alain or Boz brought anything out of him. They facilitated it, and thank f*** they did.
This new crew… they just give him pub-rock or synthy-shit songs.. and he likes them.. so he finds lyrics that fit. Usually, that means just repeating the same lines over again.
For all we know, he could have a folder full of life-changing lyrics, but the musicians he has chosen just don’t lend themselves to that.

Imagine ‘Why Don’t You Find Out For Yourself’ set to one of Tobias’ monstrosities. It wouldn’t be a million miles away from the This Charming Man debacle they put together a few years ago. Not sure if UncleSkinny would be front row, hollering and whooping, for that one.
The idea that the musicians are to blame for Morrissey's weakest lyrics is amusing, but it is clearly untrue. For Low in High School, for example, it was the music that got the most positive reception. It was Morrissey's lyrics that were the let down.

And Morrissey himself said when Southpaw Grammar was released that he was trying a new lyrical approach and wasn't going to look to the past anymore. That shift between Vauxhall and I and Southpaw Grammar is the moment when there is a clear decline in the quality of the lyrics (that's not to say that there haven't been fine songs since).

Plus, 'Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself' isn't exactly the greatest example, considering that the original uptempo version is nothing too special. Steve Lillywhite's contribution to that one was huge, and Morrissey's lyrics were not influenced by the final track at all.

Plus, 'Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself' isn't exactly the greatest example, considering that the original uptempo version is nothing too special. Steve Lillywhite's contribution to that one was huge, and Morrissey's lyrics were not influenced by the final track at all.
Not to diminish Lillywhite's accomplishments with Morrissey, but the idea to strip back that song to a more acoustic accompaniment has been attributed to Boz. Lillywhite - and probably Danton Supple, too - should get credit for syncing up the vocal from the electric version to the acoustic one.

Not to diminish Lillywhite's accomplishments with Morrissey, but the idea to strip back that song to a more acoustic accompaniment has been attributed to Boz. Lillywhite - and probably Danton Supple, too - should get credit for syncing up the vocal from the electric version to the acoustic one.
That's interesting. Both Mozipedia and Johnny Rogan's Morrissey - The Albums don't attribute that idea to Boz.

In fact, in the Rogan book Jonny Bridgwood states that he thought it was Morrissey's idea to strip it back and that Steve Lillywhite was hugely influential in the way that it was done. Certainly, Lillywhite's contribution was much more than simply syncing up the vocal.

Given that Joe Chiccarelli and Morrissey have been thick as thieves in recent years, this probably was viewed askance by M. Street said several years ago that he and M had put the water under the bridge but it's hard to envision them working together again - and I had forgotten he was displeased with the reordering/reconfiguring of tracks on the last VH reissue.

In my mind, I had wondered if the recording process for WMTWD was fraught or problematic in any way. If the recordings ever do see light of day, I hope the re-severed alliance won't result in any removal of Alain from the recordings.

It would certainly be interesting to hear Street producing the Whyte/Day/Cobrin/Gannon aggregation. I would hazard a guess that that would put paid to any future collaborations with M and AW, though.
Street did say rather recently he would be interested in producing a Morrissey album. Probably Moz is just too fond of Chiccarelli. Doubt he's still upset at Street for his criticisms of the Viva Hate reissue.

I don't think that Street producing a Whyte/Day/Cobrin/Gannon album would reclude him working with M in the future? He was willing to work with Alain while he had all of the others in his current band, after all.

The idea that the musicians are to blame for Morrissey's weakest lyrics is amusing, but it is clearly untrue. For Low in High School, for example, it was the music that got the most positive reception. It was Morrissey's lyrics that were the let down.

And Morrissey himself said when Southpaw Grammar was released that he was trying a new lyrical approach and wasn't going to look to the past anymore. That shift between Vauxhall and I and Southpaw Grammar is the moment when there is a clear decline in the quality of the lyrics (that's not to say that there haven't been fine songs since).

You are now banned from reading my posts.

Footage of above:

Back
Top Bottom