London - Eventim Apollo (March 19, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Our Frank / Alma Matters / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Irish Blood, English Heart / I Wish You Lonely / Jim Jim Falls / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Istanbul / Girlfriend In A Coma / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Knockabout World / The Loop / The Night Pop Dropped / Without Music The World Dies / Half A Person / Trouble Loves Me / Suedehead / Jack The Ripper // Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of @NealCassidy.

Media items:

Last edited:
I think the biggest hooligans tonight were possibly security. When he was reaching to touch people security was tearing their hands away from him. It seemed overzealous compared to what I've seen recently in France and Belgium.
I saw that security guy on the right doing that here and there too, in video. It's hard to tell how rough he was just by looking though. It might look rougher than it really was.

I saw that security guy on the right doing that here and there too, in video. It's hard to tell how rough he was just by looking though. It might look rougher than it really was.

I imagine they were expecting a full onslaught at the end because of the melee that took place earlier on. It was slightly chaotic, as in the above photo, which is a beauty.

But it's a gig in blighty for the most misunderstood living cultural icon hailing from this green and (un)pleasant land, so it's expected that people would have more of a proclivity to become alive at certain points.

I do feel that the majority of security were OTT, though. I love seeing people scrapping their way onto the stage or getting to touch him, and I felt security were just overdoing it for a vast amount of the gig. However, you don't know how they have been instructed to behave by him and his crew, if that even takes place. It's probably just different from venue to venue, I guess.

Last edited:
I think I heard him say, during EDIlS at the end, "Such a waste! Such a waste! Such a waste!".

Not a true fan in any sense of the word. Go back to your prized Very Best of the Smiths CD with the Charles Hawtrey cover.

As for the nonsensical comment about the drop off in energy compared to 2008, the guy is 63 but he still sounds in fantastic voice. I doubt you are the same guy you were 15 years ago either! To paraphrase the great Ali, ‘Well, I asked your wife, and she told me you're not the same man you was 15 months ago!’
No you are right. I have far more energy and rational perspective now than I did 15 years ago.

“Not a true fan” what a stupid statement.

I paid for a ticket and travelled 300 miles to go and I have the right to express my view or are you trying to silence anyone who may not have loved the show?

Grow up and try not being so obviously a sanctimonious member of a clique.

I was pretty much at the barriers and loved every second of it, even with all the pushing which was quite bad.

As for the setlist, sure a surprise song would be nice but the ones chosen still had a nice flow, Trouble loves me and then Jack the Ripper being my personal highlights.

The only thing I would’ve changed was the gaping hole of a distance between the stage and the barriers, making handshakes impossible - really ruins the chances of closer interaction just because of the venue, expected better from Apollo. But Moz looked at me, reached out with both hands and did a cute little sigh, so might have been worth it!

From the reports it appears the "sold out" stuff wasn't posturing after all!
yip,people moan about spaces then moan that its too crowded,hard to keep everyone happy,good payday for M.surely capitol should see shows like this and the enthusiasm of the crowd on this mini tour and get bonfire out and give the people what they want.

I've seen around 45 Moz shows since 1999. So quite committed but not a hardcore in this fan base. I think I've seen at least one show on each UK run since then (except one) plus some one-offs. I don't understand the gripes about the setlist not changing.

I've now seen the last 4 UK shows. 33 songs played in a average set length of 20. Only 9 out of 20 last night were played in the 3 shows I saw in the autumn. In the autumn, unique songs across the 3 shows were Shoplifters, Shankley, Disappointed and Have-A-Go (not a bad selection!). And there were others played earlier in the autumn run I missed, and others in this run too (Bullfighter, Let Me Kiss You, Kerouac for example).

The previous two pre-lockdown UK shows were vastly different again from either the autumn run or this run, and each was different from the other (London, Satan, Thorn, etc).

There were several songs in this period I'd never seen played across 25 years of shows. Lots of The Smiths compared to the old days, and older Moz classics.

Last edited:
Why would that happen? :openmouth:
he said before in an interview that his songs are very wordy and he can only sing for so long,who wants to sit through four hours of springsteen,not me.

I think the biggest hooligans tonight were possibly security. When he was reaching to touch people security was tearing their hands away from him. It seemed overzealous compared to what I've seen recently in France and Belgium.
Probably because at the other venues a handshake would be within barriers reach, whereas with the distance at this one, you’d have to climb them until almost falling over, or jump over - at which point they felt like they had to get it under control

I was centre stage about 3 rows deep. The most pit was mental but the fans who went over the barrier were dealt with quickly but respectfully. I dont thnk it was over zealous and I watch out for that kind of thing

Looks like she could be this fan (as it's a rare name): on Letters to Morrissey website and also a photo of her was on Central October 2021.

https://letterstomorrissey.com/2021/04/22/open-letter-to-morrissey-from-precious-alfaro/
Reading that , it’s a shame Morrissey didn’t give her that hug she asked for in Antwerp!

As I said on that thread , I salute all those US / further afield fans who tour Europe / U.K. (& do all the US shows as well)

It’s Top level commitment / investment, I’m just not sure that singling out one individual from that number of US travellers (or indeed from the other 5000 present) is good form by Morrissey (nor did I, when he did it with Julia back in the day either.

Reading that , it’s a shame Morrissey didn’t give her that hug she asked for in Antwerp!

As I said on that thread , I salute all those US / further afield fans who tour Europe / U.K. (& do all the US shows as well)

It’s Top level commitment / investment, I’m just not sure that singling out one individual from that number of US travellers (or indeed from the other 5000 present) is good form by Morrissey (nor did I, when he did it with Julia back in the day either.
Jealousy then? I’m sure he can single out anyone he wants. His show.

Back
Top Bottom