Maladjusted - 10 Years On

Vauxhall95

I Know It's Over...
Given the outpouring of support for "Trouble Loves Me" in the Top 100 Poll, it got me thinking about "Maladjusted." I'm wondering where you rank it in Morrissey's overall album catalog? What did you think when it was released and has your opinion changed over the years?

Personally, I really liked the album when it was released. It seemed a return to form after the interesting but ultimately frustrating effort that was "Southpaw Grammar." I remember purchasing the CD Single for "Alma Matters" before the album was released and after hearing "I Can Have Both" and "Heir Apparent," I thought the album would be fantastic. I recall many a pitched forum battle back in the day defending the album. I certainly gave it an 8 or 9 at the time.

In retrospect: "YATQ" is vastly superior in every way, I concede "Maladjusted" to be a solid Morrissey album which yielded some quality b-sides too. I give it a very respectable seven.

My albums above: YATQ, Your Arsenal, Vauxhall & I;
Equal to Viva Hate;
Better than Southpaw Grammar, and Kill Uncle.

I think it's one of the greatest discs of all time, and I'm willing to go on the record. From the opening track to "Sorrow Will Cum In Mike Joyce's End" I adore it. It's still magical to me, and I don't care what the unwashed masses think.

I bought the album years ago and wasn’t really impressed with it at all. I pushed it aside and forever it was buried in my collection with the thought of being “the Moz disc I never play”. But recently something told me to dust if off and give it another try. And thank the Lord I did! I now love the disc more than I thought possible. Certain friends of mine (you know who you are ;)) give me crap for loving “Roy’s Keen” so much, but the bottom line is, it makes me smile and fall in love with the silly sense of humor that Moz has all over again.

Songs like “Satan Has Rejected My Soul” and “Maladjusted” now are meaningful to me. Never thought that would happen but I guess time does prove everything :D

Back
Top Bottom