Morrissey and Lady Diana

Many people die everyday and the world still turns round and I’m sure you don't sit down and bawl your eyes out about it.
Forgive me if I have little compassion for someone who spent the vast majority of their life sitting in opulent palaces of splendour while degrading other humans employing them as "servants"; other human beings die of starvation, illness never owning any possessions or in extreme poverty and no memorial concerts ten years later. While her charity work is somewhat noble, the recognition she earned from it was beyond excessive.
I don't bawl my eyes about it, but it makes me sad, especially in cases like Diana's, who died young and left children after her. If someone hears about such a death and says he isn't sad because that person never did anything "important" enough for him to care, that means he lacks compassion. Normally I wouldn't judge someone based on one remark but we all know he often says things in this vein.
As for the second part of your post: I honestly don't know enough about her to judge whether she deserved the recognition she got, but that's not the issue. It takes a lot more than being rich and having servants for me to feel indifferent about someone's death, so I'm sorry, I don't see yout point there.

I don't bawl my eyes about it, but it makes me sad, especially in cases like Diana's, who died young and left children after her. If someone hears about such a death and says he isn't sad because that person never did anything "important" enough for him to care, that means he lacks compassion. Normally I wouldn't judge someone based on one remark but we all know he often says things in this vein.
As for the second part of your post: I honestly don't know enough about her to judge whether she deserved the recognition she got, but that's not the issue. It takes a lot more than being rich and having servants for me to feel indifferent about someone's death, so I'm sorry, I don't see yout point there.

My point being that Morrissey doesn't care because he doesn't know her at all personally or through any other medium. To criticize him for this is over the top, people die all the time and the world goes on without anyone blinking an eyelid; It is of course sad but brutally true. My second point is that many of these people that die without any recognition have lived a much harder life than Diana and most of the world ignores their situations; and once again go on with their life. You may feel compassion for her death but I don't think its right to force your values or feelings onto other people, if he wants to show indifference to her death, then fair enough. Overall before the discussion goes on we are talking over comments that Morrissey allegedly said and we have yet to see proof. Also we do not know the context that they were said in.

My point being that Morrissey doesn't care because he doesn't know her at all personally or through any other medium. To criticize him for this is over the top, people die all the time and the world goes on without anyone blinking an eyelid; It is of course sad but brutally true. My second point is that many of these people that die without any recognition have lived a much harder life than Diana and most of the world ignores their situations; and once again go on with their life. You may feel compassion for her death but I don't think its right to force your values or feelings onto other people, if he wants to show indifference to her death, then fair enough. Overall before the discussion goes on we are talking over comments that Morrissey allegedly said and we have yet to see proof. Also we do not know the context that they were said in.

People are people...Death is death...Nobody is more important that anybody...

We need an anti-Steven thread..and put people in the corner for committing the offense

Oh Steven
You dressed me in my [??]
You in your Gladiolia
Just like those other lifetimes
At least that's what you told me
The taste of reality was
Such a hard, bitter-sweet pill
You took to your bed again
Oh, are you still ill?
Are you still ill?
You don't eat meat
But you eat your heart out, Steven

is there not a sense of hypocrisy at a 'charity worker' wearing a £6000 dress?

I don't think so. Working for or giving to charity doesn't mean that you have to live in poverty. There are a lot of wealthy people that make donations to charity that would seem like a lot of money to me but aren't much to them. So they can have all their luxury goods and still do something without being a communist or taking a vow of poverty.

When Johnny Rotten was asked about Elvis dying he said "Good Riddance to bad rubbish" but he was being Johnny Rotten. I don't think caring about the death of Princess Diana takes away form the deaths of all the people we never heard of. She projected a strong image and it was shocking when she died. It doesn't mean other people don't matter.

It's one thing to think she was phony and did it all because it was her job but that person pointed out that she did have people who loved her. So just like it might seem offensive if he said he didn't care when a homeless person is run over by a bus because "They never did anything for anyone", it's perfectly acceptable to find this alleged statement offensive.

Morrissey has this crew of people that apologize or applaud every lukewarm controversial statement he makes and another crew that finds fault with everything he has ever done. It's nothing to get that worked up about if someone points out that his statement, in their opinion, was rude and pointless.

I'm seeing a pattern here...

His statement was hardly "pointless". He has contempt for the royal family and all they stand for. It's no wonder he was unimpressed when prompted to say something nice about Diana. She stands for everything he thinks is wrong about the country.

I guess I meant that it didn't change anything. Not that the statement didn't have a point but that there was no point in saying it. Why not say something instead about those that are alive? I realize what you're saying, that he was asked to make a statement, and so he did. But that can be because the journalist is lazy or stupid and has nothing real to ask, or because they are baiting, hoping for a "controversial" reply that they will be featured in large type.

My point was that it's okay to disagree with him.

We all love Morrissey, but Diana has done more for the human race than Morrissey will or could ever do.

I disagree.
Diana and her entourage successfully used media to paint a picture of a tragic princess persona and glorify her charity work.

Morrissey's work will have great influence on the future generations.

I always make this comment about Bono, too:

If Princess Diana was the worst, most egregious hypocrite who ever lived; if 99% of her charity work was a sham; if she was not only a phony activist but privately a thickheaded racist; if she never did or said anything of interest to anyone on the planet; and yet, despite all this, if one of her organizations somehow slipped up and rescued five children in Africa who lived full lives because of her involvement, no matter how superficial-- in that case wouldn't she have lived a worthy life?

Overall before the discussion goes on we are talking over comments that Morrissey allegedly said and we have yet to see proof. Also we do not know the context that they were said in.

I've got it all on Mp3. Straight from the horses mouth, so to speak. He very clearly states he wasn't sad about it and he thought she didn't do or say anything worth noting. He says she had to do charity work as a royal, that it wasn't simply done out of her own good will.

If I were in anyway slightly technical, I could upload it, alas - I am too right-brained for my own good.

If anyone is really losing sleep over it, let me know and I'll post a transcript. :)

Last edited:
"She had to do it"
Then why aren't the other Royals known all over the world for their charity work? If they had to do it, they would do it.

Back
Top Bottom