Morrissey and the world of politics: how clued up is he? Let's have a heated debate!

Re: Morrissey and the world of politics: how clued up is he? Let's have a heated deba

Made a comment in another thread (which I'll cut and paste) which started an off-topic discussion, so thought it best to start a new one...

I said the following;
Moz is a total lightweight, politically.
you ask him a serious question about a contemporary politician and he'll say how physically unattracive they are, or that they look like Larry Grayson.
his profound verdict on Bush and Blair was that they were 'egotistical dictators'. cheers!
the mess he's got himself in with the racism accusations is largely because he doesn't understand the link between racism and immigration.
he's a multi-millionaire pop star who professes to side with the poor and the needy, but moans about having to pay so much tax, completely failing to see the connection between the two issues.
his 'God Bless Israel' comment showed how clueless he was about Middle Eastern politics. when McCartney played there weeks later, he showed much much greater sensitivity and awareness.
Moz is a genius when it comes to talking about music, people, relationships, family life, growing up, etc but I maintain that he's extremely naive when it comes to the wider political world...

That's probably very correct. However, I fail to see why he should have any "valid contribution" about politics. He sounds like many 50year olds I know.

Morrissey speaks his mind, be it about music or about politics. His opinions about music are much more articulated than his opinions about politics - he's a singer/musician and that's where/when his creativity is at its best.

The best thing you can do is try to understand why he's saying what he's saying, and think for yourself.

And at the same time, I don't know how many other "stars" are even willing to say anything about politics nowadays. Bob Geldof, Bono, Billy Bragg... they never struck me as being less naive than Morrissey.

That doesn't mean that they didn't raise valid points.

Re: Morrissey and the world of politics: how clued up is he? Let's have a heated deba

And at the same time, I don't know how many other "stars" are even willing to say anything about politics nowadays. Bob Geldof, Bono, Billy Bragg... they never struck me as being less naive than Morrissey.

That doesn't mean that they didn't raise valid points.

Morrissey isn't naive, he's cynical in the extreme. Being a cynic myself, I'm pretty much in sympathy with the idea that we're basically f***ed, no matter what we do. It's an untenable position though; if you do nothing, you're part of the problem. I appreciate the bind he's in, and I think he's actually accomplished quite a bit, just by being who he is.

Geldof, Bono and Bragg have actually engaged the system, using the only talents they have. I admire the effort, no matter how naive, preachy and condescending those efforts may seem. It shows a great generosity of spirit (and a bit of a messiah complex).

Bragg seems to be the sharpest one politically; I don't envy him at all.

Yes, it is strange, it is highly metaphorical language that doesn't engage the ordinary person in the street. He also said that 'animals look to us to protect them' which is absurd. Most animals have no interest or connection to human beings and moreover they do not like/fear human beings and other animals.

Yes, it is strange, it is highly metaphorical language that doesn't engage the ordinary person in the street.

I'm assuming that you are referring to my earlier post. :confused:

Anyway, I think that, unfortunately, most people do think of their pets as their children (which is unhealthy, but understandable). Domestic animals rely on us for companionship, food and shelter, and have no real defenses against abuse and violence. They also develop strong bonds of loyalty and affection. The difference is that they never grow out of that relationship. Unlike a child, most animals will remain dependent until the day they die.

He also said that 'animals look to us to protect them' which is absurd. Most animals have no interest or connection to human beings and moreover they do not like/fear human beings and other animals.

I was in charge of a nature center at a summer camp when I was a kid, and I worked with a lot of small family farms. I remember one family in particular kept a beef steer as a pet. He was such a friendly animal, like the biggest dog you've ever seen. He would just run up and beg to have his head scratched. The family could not bring themselves to have him slaughtered. He had a profound effect on me, because he was not only like a child, he had a real emotional connection to people. Most animals don't have an interest in people, it's true, but they undoubtedly have the capacity to form emotional bonds, given the right conditions.

I don't think Morrissey is being at all naive when he says things like this, I think he's being empathetic to an exceptional degree, which is not something that everyone can understand.

i thought England is a free country...Let the man speak his mind i hear older men say much worse things about immigration.
If he hates things let him..... I think he knows by now what he believes(if anything).
Why should he be 'politically correct' who can say most people are?
I' rarther him have his own thoughts than a P.R mans/womens......
Everyone has their own thoughts leave 'em too it!

politics aint no art

That will do I suppose? Isn't it a pitty that politics and art nowadays, are two completely different ways to create a reality? I can see no reason why Morrissey should have an opinion about politcs. Politic is dull and so far away from the way of the heart. For politics, ask mister Brown and his MP's or even the more boring of them all, Bob Dylan but don't bother Da Mozz with this issue. :thumb: Why should he? He's real and politicians aint. Morrissey is about life and death. Politics is about money. (and war and a duckhouse:blushing:)
Morrissey is music and politic is death.:guitar:

Last edited:

I'm assuming that you are referring to my earlier post. :confused:

Anyway, I think that, unfortunately, most people do think of their pets as their children (which is unhealthy, but understandable). Domestic animals rely on us for companionship, food and shelter, and have no real defenses against abuse and violence. They also develop strong bonds of loyalty and affection. The difference is that they never grow out of that relationship. Unlike a child, most animals will remain dependent until the day they die.

I was in charge of a nature center at a summer camp when I was a kid, and I worked with a lot of small family farms. I remember one family in particular kept a beef steer as a pet. He was such a friendly animal, like the biggest dog you've ever seen. He would just run up and beg to have his head scratched. The family could not bring themselves to have him slaughtered. He had a profound effect on me, because he was not only like a child, he had a real emotional connection to people. Most animals don't have an interest in people, it's true, but they undoubtedly have the capacity to form emotional bonds, given the right conditions.

I don't think Morrissey is being at all naive when he says things like this, I think he's being empathetic to an exceptional degree, which is not something that everyone can understand.

I don't doubt that some animals connect with humans, I have had pets that I felt were family members and sometimes the look in their eyes is 'human'. But the arguments that will win people over would be health based or moral based ones. What you describe as 'empathetic to an exceptional degree' could be interpreted as fanciful and the result of some personal emotional disfunction. It is also notable that Moz extends no such compassion to certain humans, which cast doubts over his 'exceptional empathy'.

There are strong arguments for vegeterianism but the attempted humanisation of animals isn't one of the

Do you know, I am completely sick of the word 'clariifying ' by now. It's just so like unclarified, and therefore boring

What you describe as 'empathetic to an exceptional degree' could be interpreted as fanciful and the result of some personal emotional disfunction. It is also notable that Moz extends no such compassion to certain humans, which cast doubts over his 'exceptional empathy'.

It could indeed be interpreted that way, and often is. Morrissey's empathy seems to be reserved mostly for non-humans, there's no doubt about it. He is an exceptionally empathetic person, however, it's just not directed at his fellow man.

There are strong arguments for vegeterianism but the attempted humanisation of animals isn't one of the

I don't see it as a "humanization" of animals, I see it as an acknowledgement that emotions and intelligence are not restricted to humans alone. The use of the word "children" is not the most effective argument, I agree, but it does illustrate an emotional position that many people agree with.

Do you know, I am completely sick of the word 'clariifying ' by now. It's just so like unclarified, and therefore boring

Clarify is best left to lotions? :D

Clarify is best left to lotions? :D

You're nice, whatever you say :)

Except like jack-shit

Not meaning like you did that then :)

Like clarified butter, it seems harmless, but the implications, oh the implications.

Back
Top Bottom