Morrissey in new Q magazine

thecondy

Again, can't see this posted elsewhere...

New issue (March 2008) with "50 Years of Great British Music" on the cover.

Contains:

• Lotsa small Moz pics.
  • Very small article on The Queen Is Dead.
  • Very very small article on How Soon Is Now.
  • Double-page spread on new Moz album (1 page = new photo, 1 page = writing by Dorian Lynskey). Album gets 3 out of 5 again and says it is a flawed best of.
  • Plus inside the back page there is a full page photo of The Smiths (TQID photoshoot) accompanying an ad for this month's MOJO: "The Smiths and the 50 greatest Indie records of all time!" with free Indie CD.
So, I suppose Q is actually worth buying this month as for once it doesn't really contain a pointless list plus they've surprised me by giving Moz 3 out of 5 (I was expecting a small review and 2 out of 5).

I've not seen the new MOJO yet.

Cheers,
Jason.

I know I keep banging on about this but it really is a tragedy that Moz has put out such a third rate 'best of'.
I'd love to know who's to blame for the song selection.I can’t help but think that it’s Moz, given his obsession with chart positions and his perception that the last two albums have been his best ever.

It’s tragic because this album will easily outsell his other compilations simply because of his current musical standing/status. It was a brilliant opportunity to introduce the generic indie masses to some of his many brilliant solo songs and they’re gonna get mediocre, plodding, joyless rubbish like Redondo and The Youngest.

I'm reading the review more carefully and it again says that Alma Matters will be included as a UK bonus track.

The review does criticise Moz quite a bit, mainly how he always considers himself the victim: "Like the Pope, or a psychopath, Morrissey is never wrong".

I know I keep banging on about this but it really is a tragedy that Moz has put out such a third rate 'best of'.
I'd love to know who's to blame for the song selection.I can’t help but think that it’s Moz, given his obsession with chart positions and his perception that the last two albums have been his best ever.

It’s tragic because this album will easily outsell his other compilations simply because of his current musical standing/status. It was a brilliant opportunity to introduce the generic indie masses to some of his many brilliant solo songs and they’re gonna get mediocre, plodding, joyless rubbish like Redondo and The Youngest.

From a business point of view, I think its quite possible Moz or even Decca may be hoping this new Greatest Hits collection will entice new fans to buy the previous albums and as some EMI UK and Warner US songs are included here, everyone stands to make a profit if the idea works and his back catalogue starts to sell again, :cool:

Just an observation.

From a business point of view, I think its quite possible Moz or even Decca may be hoping this new Greatest Hits collection will entice new fans to buy the previous albums and as some EMI UK and Warner US songs are included here, everyone stands to make a profit if the idea works and his back catalogue starts to sell again, :cool:

Just an observation.

True. I hope it sparks a full-catalog reissue, with at bonus discs containing the non-album b-sides, demos, & live standouts. Oh, damn, now it's cashed.

Pic and review here

2234833576_a76e3ca6c4_b.jpg

2234046015_bb2e0769c4_b.jpg

Peter

I was just browsing this, this morning in the shops. Was about to buy and then thought, "hang on, I wonder if my favourite scanner has posted it on the site".

Of course you have - thanks for saving me £4 Pete (typical Yorkshireman, eh? "See all, hear all, say nowt...")

Seems like a decent enough review to me, actually.

I'm reading the review more carefully and it again says that Alma Matters will be included as a UK bonus track.

The review does criticise Moz quite a bit, mainly how he always considers himself the victim: "Like the Pope, or a psychopath, Morrissey is never wrong".

but its right, he is NEVER wrong... ;)

Back
Top Bottom