Morrissey in new UNCUT magazine

I think you are wrong actually. I've read many comments on internet sites from newish casual fans who state with absolute certainty that Morrissey's solo stuff was crap until the last two albums. I'm not saying that I believe this myself, it's merely people repeating what they believe to be the generally acknowledged truth in their age group. Just as others repeat "truths" like he's been crap solo full stop, or his early solo stuff is the only thing worth listening to. The truth is, there is worth to be found in his work if you look for it and someone coming to this collection with no preconceptions might have a very different reaction to you. People have been converted to Morrissey fandom by Quarry and ROTT.

That's completely true. Prior to YATQ I couldn't pay my friends to listen to any Morrissey stuff, but they all have bought the last two and have been to at least one gig. And none have any real interest in Arsenal, Vauxhall etc.

So here's a question that may be better suited elsewhere--if this review discusses a 16-song version of the Grayest Hits (w/ "Alma Matters" at the end), and the promo that was uploaded a few days ago had 15 tracks, does that mean that there could be two different versions of the promo CD floating around out there?

I was confused by that when I got the magazine yesterday, as I seem to remember Merck confirming that Alma Matters was not on any versions of the album, but I couldn't be wrong.

I think you are wrong actually. I've read many comments on internet sites from newish casual fans who state with absolute certainty that Morrissey's solo stuff was crap until the last two albums. I'm not saying that I believe this myself, it's merely people repeating what they believe to be the generally acknowledged truth in their age group. Just as others repeat "truths" like he's been crap solo full stop, or his early solo stuff is the only thing worth listening to. The truth is, there is worth to be found in his work if you look for it and someone coming to this collection with no preconceptions might have a very different reaction to you. People have been converted to Morrissey fandom by Quarry and ROTT.

I'm not saying I think this tracklisting is fantastic, I just think we should keep an open mind about how non fans might respond to it when they are free of all the baggage that comes with following him for over 20 years.

I was converted to Morrissey fandom by the singles from You Are The Quarry. :) I never knew of him before then, so its not that I don't think his recent work is good...just that this Greatest Hits collection isn't the best representation of his solo songs overall, in my opinion.
I suppose, having become familiar with songs from all the stages of his career, in a relatively short time, its a bit difficult to imagine how it would be to start afresh, and hear him for the first time.
I'm pleased other people are finding an interest in Morrissey for his recent work, whether its because they just didn't like his earlier stuff. Or because they were too young to know of him, in his early career, like me.
I hope I am wrong, and this Greatest Hits brings him many new fans.
I guess its hard for any fan, however long you've been one, to have a clear idea of how you would react hearing him anew. :o

I have The Passion of Morrissey's Uncut 2006 Magazine

..and I found this entertaining:

"Moz plays our quickfire either/ or game"

-Lucille Ball or Hylda Baker? "Lypsinka"

-Channel 4 or BBC 4? "Channel 4 because of Shameless, but certainly NOT because of the Impotence Of Being Morrissey."

-Ian Brown or Ian Curtis? "Neither. James Maker instead."

-Man Utd or Man City? "ManUre"

-Preston North End or Burnley? "Always Burley"

-Berndard Manning or Jim Bowen? "Odd Ken Dodd"

-Damien Hurst or Tracy Emin? "Linder Sterling" <-- :)

-Thora Hird or Judi Dench? "Thora Hird"

-Blackpool or Las Vegas? "No difference"

-Beyonce or Jennifer Lopez? "Hell isn't hot enough for either" <-- haha

-24 Hour Party People or Velvet Goldmine? "24 Hour Party People"

-The Rakes or The Kooks? "The Rakes"

-Julian Cope or Pete Burns? "Burns"

-Newsnight or That Was The Week? "Newsnight"

-Tom Ford or Stella Mcartney? "Stellar Mcartload"

-Jaguar or Lexus? "XK8"

-Peaches Geldof or Chantelle? "No, thanks"

-Cats or Dogs? "Pussies" <--Oh Morrissey.. haha

-Superman or Batman? "Bruce Wayne and his youthfu ward Dick Grayson"

-Kevin Bacon or Matt Dillon? "Billy Crudup"

-Friday or Saturday? "Everyday is like Sunday"

-Tylenol or Advil? "Anadin Extra"

-Sneeze or yawn? "Sneeze"

-Italy or England to win the World Cup? "Italeeeeee!"

-Pen or Pencil? "Poison"

-Old Wembley or New Wembley? "Old"

-Banarama or Girls Around? "The Slits"

-Eyes or Smile? "Smile" <--:o

-Heaven or Hell? "This is hell, Nor am I out of it"

-Heath Legder or Jake Gylennhaal? "Yes, Heath No Heath"

-Birthday or Christmas? "Avoid both"

-Loved and lost or never loved at all? "I only know the latter"

-Lynch of Lean? "Lean, Oliver Twist- 'What right have you to butcher me?"

-Phone call or email? "Never been known to pick up the phone"

-Death while sleeping or while on stage? "Just let it be quick"

I totally agree with the reviewer... Very sound, honest criticism. It is a tragedy his earlier, BETTER work was so poorly received, and recently he appears to be on a continuing downward trajectory. He is great, always will be, but it's true.

I have The Passion of Morrissey's Uncut 2006 Magazine

..and I found this entertaining:

"Moz plays our quickfire either/ or game"

-Man Utd or Man City? "ManUre"

-Beyonce or Jennifer Lopez? "Hell isn't hot enough for either" <-- haha

-Cats or Dogs? "Pussies" <--Oh Morrissey.. haha

-Eyes or Smile? "Smile" <--:o
Thanks for this list! I'm not sure that I ever saw it before...very cute. The Beyonce/JLo answer made me LOL. :D

yeah, i agree. ill always listen to anything he puts out, but i would much rather have old sounding stuff than his newest stuff.

I know it's trivial, really, and it might have been mentioned before, but has anyone else noticed that whoever is doing the publicity material (ads, flyers) has got the new website address wrong? The publicity says "Itsmorrisseyworld.com" but this defaults to "Itsmorrisseysworld.com". Do you think they had to rush out and buy the other domain before someone else spotted the mistake before them?

Peter

I totally agree with the reviewer... Very sound, honest criticism. It is a tragedy his earlier, BETTER work was so poorly received, and recently he appears to be on a continuing downward trajectory. He is great, always will be, but it's true.

That's the thing. His older work was better received, I think. I don't have the data but my understanding is that sales measures have changed. A single charting at #26 in 1986 might have had better sales than a #5 single in 2007. If you compare 2007 with 1967 the difference is much more easier to see.

In some other ways the numbers are hard to compare, too. For instance I think "The Queen Is Dead" peaked at #2 but ROTT went #1. TQID probably sold boatloads over its first month or two of release but ROTT infamously plummeted off the charts. Yet ROTT goes down as a "Number One Album!" and TQID doesn't.

I don't have the figures to back up this claim but maybe someone else can refute or confirm it.

That's the thing. His older work was better received, I think. I don't have the data but my understanding is that sales measures have changed. A single charting at #26 in 1986 might have had better sales than a #5 single in 2007. If you compare 2007 with 1967 the difference is much more easier to see.

In some other ways the numbers are hard to compare, too. For instance I think "The Queen Is Dead" peaked at #2 but ROTT went #1. TQID probably sold boatloads over its first month or two of release but ROTT infamously plummeted off the charts. Yet ROTT goes down as a "Number One Album!" and TQID doesn't.

I don't have the figures to back up this claim but maybe someone else can refute or confirm it.

Yes chart positions are misleading. Quarry hit 2, ROTT made 1 but Quarry sold 360,000 and ROTT only sold 150,000; less than half as many.
Queen is Dead will have sold consistently as it's always in the top 10 or 20albums of all time. Don't think it's been certified Platinum (300,000) though...

I'd say:

First of the Gang 5
In The Future 4
I Just Want To 3
Irish Blood 4
You Have Killed Me 4
That's How People 4
Everyday Is Like 5
Redundant Beach 2
Suedehead 5
The Youngest 4
Playboys 5
The More You 5
All You Need 4
Let Me Kiss You 3
I Have Forgiven 5
Alma Matters 4

Funny - years ago I had to defend the post-Queen Is Dead Smiths singles to people who slated Panic, Ask, Shoplifters, Sheila, et al. Now they're known as classics. Then I had to do the same with solo Moz like Suedehead, Playboys, Drug, November. Now they're known as classics. Now I have to do the same all over again with his new stuff. All You Need Is Me only worth 2? In which pop dimension? If That's How People Group Up is desultory, name me a better current single in the charts! The new tracks all sound fantastic too. Moz is always great. Get used to it and enjoy him while you can!

Also in this month's Uncut Gallows singer Frank Carter is asked if it is true he was once going to have ''I hate the NME'' tattooed on his body and this was his reply:

''That's not true. It was actually ''f*** the NME''. We've been badly treated by that magazine in terms of being misquoted and misrepresented in a massive way. Then they go and vote me the coolest man in rock. Well I don't want it. I'd sooner have an apology for everything they got wrong about me.''

I never listen to reviews anyway - it's just one person's opinion.

You can't honestly tell me that if someone hates, let's say for instance, Razorlight & they have to review the new album, they can listen with an open mind? I couldn't.

I mean - "First of the Gang", 3 stars! I'm sorry, but that is up there with Mozzer's VERY best ever & can only be given a flat 5.

End Of.

(And anyway, he released the odd duffer in the early '90's as well - "My Love Life" for instance, or "Ouija Board" - hardly Moz classics.)

His recent output is consistent with his overall career, i think. And i've been a fan 20 years.

I don't have the data either, but I have the same belief that his older work was better received. That's just my impression from having been there and paying attention at the time, though.

I wouldn't say ROTT plummeted any more than most of his other albums.

He's only ever really had 2 long runs on the album charts - with Viva & Quarry.

Vauxhall reached No. 1 & only lasted in the UK Top 75 5 weeks in total.

I'd say:

Funny - years ago I had to defend the post-Queen Is Dead Smiths singles to people who slated Panic, Ask, Shoplifters, Sheila, et al. Now they're known as classics. Then I had to do the same with solo Moz like Suedehead, Playboys, Drug, November. Now they're known as classics. Now I have to do the same all over again with his new stuff. All You Need Is Me only worth 2? In which pop dimension? If That's How People Group Up is desultory, name me a better current single in the charts! The new tracks all sound fantastic too. Moz is always great. Get used to it and enjoy him while you can!

Don't worry, give it 20 years and everything moz has ever recorded or said will be a classic.

In the classic track "all you need is me" he reminded us of his greatness ... "you're gonna miss me when I'm gone" -indeed we do, etc... :)

Last edited:
I'd say:

First of the Gang 5
In The Future 4
I Just Want To 3
Irish Blood 4
You Have Killed Me 4
That's How People 4
Everyday Is Like 5
Redundant Beach 2 (3.5-4)
Suedehead 5
The Youngest 4 (3-3.5)
Playboys 5
The More You 5
All You Need 4
Let Me Kiss You 3
I Have Forgiven 5
Alma Matters 4

I almost exactly agree with you on your ratings and think the Uncut ratings are a good bit off at times. I added my adjusted ratings in parenthesis :)

The Uncut ratings cause me to take the overall article a little less seriously.

Back
Top Bottom