Morrissey recording new Janice Long BBC Radio2 session today ~ Broadcast next week.

Re: Morrissey recording new Janice Long BBC Radio2 session today ~ Broadcast next wee

Glad to see you're above it all.

"it"? No.
You? Yes.

Re: Morrissey recording new Janice Long BBC Radio2 session today ~ Broadcast next wee

Someone on the main page wrote:

Two of the new songs (from a very reliable source) are called, "Inmate Date" (Morrissey/Boorer) and "Play It Like You Mean It" (Morrissey/Street).

I've heard they are both really really good.

So that's nonsense then, going by TTY?

So that's nonsense then, going by TTY?

good point, well made (as they say).
perhaps the songs that King Leer mentioned are genuine new compositions which have been recorded/demo'd for the album but they're just not being played on Janice Long show. not hugely unlilely, as Moz tells us he has a whole album's worth of songs ready.
I'm clinging somewhat desperately to the hope that Moz has started writing with Street again!

"Action is my middle name". Ha ha ha ha a-ha-ha!
*claps hands*

There is an article about this over on TTY, the new songs will be

ACTION IS MY MIDDLE NAME
THE KID'S A LOOKER
PEOPLE ARE THE SAME EVERYWHERE

Could this mean 'Action Man' was FINALLY finished?

well this is moderately exciting!

My thoughts exactly!

I can't wait to hear it. So if that is the case, there is at least going to be Whyte compositions on the new album.
FINALLY some really exciting news from Camp Morrissey!

What I cut and pasted from the main page could be true or false - I haven't the slightest idea.
I would say if the titles of those songs ("Inmate Date" and "Play It Like You Mean It") were made up, the faker did a good job of coming up with titles that fit perfectly alongside the legit ones posted on TTY.
There's an off-the-cuff feel about them. It wouldn't surprise me if Streety was back on board what with his diary entry in Dec. 10 and the mysteriously prescient tweets of MorrisseysMum.

"Action Man" was the first thing I thought of too when I saw "Action is My Middle Name".

Interesting times!

Boz just said on Facebook that there is no Street involvement with these 3 songs.

Boz just said on Facebook that there is no Street involvement with these 3 songs.

Note that he didn't say there was no Street involvement at all on the new album...maybe someone should ask him if he actually wrote a song called "Inmate Date"?

Honestly, while I suppose one shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, these new song titles sound like more predictable latter days Morrissey material, possibly with the lyrics addressing some unnamed 'kid'. I like the titles King Leer posted better... But I'm more than willing to be surprised. I'll have to bring a radio over to Scotland then, I suppose.

If Street is truly involved with Morrissey again, that would be great news. But a) as far as I know we don't have any kind of official info that he is? Actually what little official info we have points in the opposite direction, no? And b) even it's true, who's to say that people who made great music together 20+ years ago will come up with something interesting now.
That said, I would be as interested as anyone to hear new Moz/Street material. By all means.

Strange comment by Boz on his Facebook site:

Question regarding the Janice Long session: "Is it in the current live line up?"
Answer from Boz: "now that would be telling and you know I'm not one for gossip."

Does that mean there will be surprises regarding the line up?

Going on titles alone, they evoke glam rock tracks for me. They seem like the more "superficial" tracks from Arsenal, with some more poetic stuff to come hopefully.

Morrissey has said before that he wants to (or one needs to) grab listeners when it comes to radio, so maybe these are more radio friendly.

I also caught the same nuance from Boz' answer in FB - very typical answer that times with what's ready for public consumption and nothing more. Don't bug him about other rumors.

I'm guessing these three somgs are from Boz, Alain and Jesse.

Getting out of hand with curiosity here, but maybe one of them is a Johnny track and he went in to play it. Though he does seem too busy for a Moz tour unfortunately.

On a tangent, what, if any, is the relationship between Marr and Street? Was there any acrimony after the Smiths split did it simply end?

Hahaha ... Boz seems to read this forum:

Boz Boorer on his Facebook site said:
well solow seems to be full of people complaining about everything, there ain't no pleasing some people

Last edited:

Morrissey has said before that he wants to (or one needs to) grab listeners when it comes to radio, so maybe these are more radio friendly.

There is a ton of snobbishness in the indie world about songs which are considered to be radio-friendly or 'commercial'.
Basically, a brilliant song is (with very few exceptions) radio-friendly, and a mediocre song is not. Nearly all the Smiths songs were radio-friendly. The reason they didn't get played much on the radio was because people in charge of radio playlists didn't like Morrissey's voice (or the image of him/The Smiths).
Morrissey wanting more radio-friendly songs simply means he wants better songs.
Poorly performing Morrissey singles (e.g. Roy's Keen) don't miss the charts because they're not radio-friendly - they miss the charts because they're rubbish.

paTRICK is his middle name. :D

There is a ton of snobbishness in the indie world about songs which are considered to be radio-friendly or 'commercial'.
Basically, a brilliant song is (with very few exceptions) radio-friendly, and a mediocre song is not.

Very true. In regards to The Smiths, I'm always astonished when radio stations play all six minutes of How Soon Is Now? but because it is a great song, it just gets played.
I was reading an interview recently with Peter Buck of R.E.M. explaining how Warner Brothers told them not to release Losing My Religion as a single because no radio station would play a song, almost five minutes in length with a mandolin as a lead instrument. Needless to say that because the song is simply brilliant, people forget the unconventional nature of the song and simply enjoy it! Similarly, Brian May explained on a documentary last week how Queen were told not to release Bohemian Rapsody...I guess that cream rises, generally.

Back on topic, I cannot wait to hear these tracks...great to hear new material is ready to go, hopefully even more will be displayed on tour!

Back
Top Bottom