Morrissey referenced in The Guardian's Marilyn Manson interview

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. That part in particular. I mean, on the one hand, the entire thing could be some kind of scathingly subversive skewering of traditional notions of masculinity and how absurdly insecure seemingly "macho" men are--having to come up with and obsesses over stupid and clearly contradictory rules of what is and is not acceptable behavior, with even the most trivial offense having dire consequences. On the other hand, it reads like very juvenile 8th grade "hahahaha I just said 'cum'" type humor which Manson seems a little old for (though probably not his fan base).

He is apparently on tour and playing somewhat nearish to me. I am curious to know what kind of a fan base he still has circa 2015. Mostly age range.

kinda like morrissey with quarry he gained a bunch of new fans with certain later albums (golden age which debuted at number one and was his fifth album while eat me also debuted huge and in the top ten i think) but he retained a good sized hardcore fanbase as well. hell the high end of low despite being one of his worst selling total (album sales suck in general he still went no 4 with here in the states). i understand his mentality. when i was younger where i grew upi hated being harassed by people in town for being gay which im not but just started throw hate and anger back at them by playing up the stereotype, not hard for me lol, just to piss them off. this went on for quite a while and most gay people around me understood but i cant imagine what it looked like to a stranger outsider but from that experience i understand where hes coming from. if i could do it to a larger audience of asholes (sic) and get paid millions id probably do that and take national gleeful revenge. can it be taken to far, sure, should he qualify now and then sure, but imo he does you just have to dig for it, but i understand looking out at protesters you hate and think are poison to society and taking any chance to show them as idiots.

kinda like morrissey with quarry he gained a bunch of new fans with certain later albums (golden age which debuted at number one and was his fifth album while eat me also debuted huge and in the top ten i think) but he retained a good sized hardcore fanbase as well. hell the high end of low despite being one of his worst selling total (album sales suck in general he still went no 4 with here in the states). i understand his mentality. when i was younger where i grew upi hated being harassed by people in town for being gay which im not but just started throw hate and anger back at them by playing up the stereotype, not hard for me lol, just to piss them off. this went on for quite a while and most gay people around me understood but i cant imagine what it looked like to a stranger outsider but from that experience i understand where hes coming from. if i could do it to a larger audience of asholes (sic) and get paid millions id probably do that and take national gleeful revenge. can it be taken to far, sure, should he qualify now and then sure, but imo he does you just have to dig for it, but i understand looking out at protesters you hate and think are poison to society and taking any chance to show them as idiots.

Did he gain a lot of new fans with Golden Age? I remember when it came out and I remember buying it, but I always thought his peak period was Antichrist Superstar/Mechanical Animals. Looking at US sales it looks like his albums were already in steady decline with Holy Wood being a steep drop off from Mechanical Animals (his best in my opinion) and Eat me, Drink Me (which I didn't even know had been released until years later). Maybe I am just traveling in different music circles or am out of touch (or most likely both). I really was not under the impression that Golden Age was his "Quarry" or that it was some kind of major comeback album.

Did he gain a lot of new fans with Golden Age? I remember when it came out and I remember buying it, but I always thought his peak period was Antichrist Superstar/Mechanical Animals. Looking at US sales it looks like his albums were already in steady decline with Holy Wood being a steep drop off from Mechanical Animals (his best in my opinion) and Eat me, Drink Me (which I didn't even know had been released until years later). Maybe I am just traveling in different music circles or am out of touch (or most likely both). I really was not under the impression that Golden Age was his "Quarry" or that it was some kind of major comeback album.

Well albums didn't sell in in the 2000's like they did in 96 when anti christ came out. I will say that golden age charted at one which tells me relatively he was still pretty popular. At the time of eat me he had an energy drink named out of the title and high end of low was numer four I think first weak which still shows popularity. I thought golden age and eat me still sold pretty well and holywood was a sleeper. He did gain fans with then golden age era and a bunch of press.

Well albums didn't sell in in the 2000's like they did in 96 when anti christ came out. I will say that golden age charted at one which tells me relatively he was still pretty popular. At the time of eat me he had an energy drink named out of the title and high end of low was numer four I think first weak which still shows popularity. I thought golden age and eat me still sold pretty well and holywood was a sleeper. He did gain fans with then golden age era and a bunch of press.

Well I could be very wrong. But he seems to be having a bit of a comeback at the moment (this is the first I've heard so much about him in sometime) and most of the interviews/articles/reviews I have read seem to confirm my preexisting bias that he peaked in popularity with Mechanical Animals and slowly declined after and than the last couple of years/albums have been not so good for him. Nonetheless, he seems to be on the up and up and this is his best since Mechanical Animals. Though I suppose a lot of the same sort of thing could be said about Morrissey--he's lost his wider continuing cultural relevancy even though he still occupies a unique spot in the collective cultural mindset, best album since Mechanical Animals/Vauxhall, etc. Maybe Manson is having his Quarry moment with his latest release, maybe not.

I don't say any of this to criticize him, I just remember when Golden Age of the Grotesque came out and I don't think it was a big comeback moment--like Quarry--where he got a lot of new fans. It sold worse than any of his previous albums and while you keep mentioning it charted at #1--so did Mechanical Animals and that sold quite a bit more copies (and while album sales declined in general that was only five years earlier).

Anyways, I am curious to see how his new album does.

Well I could be very wrong. But he seems to be having a bit of a comeback at the moment (this is the first I've heard so much about him in sometime) and most of the interviews/articles/reviews I have read seem to confirm my preexisting bias that he peaked in popularity with Mechanical Animals and slowly declined after and than the last couple of years/albums have been not so good for him. Nonetheless, he seems to be on the up and up and this is his best since Mechanical Animals. Though I suppose a lot of the same sort of thing could be said about Morrissey--he's lost his wider continuing cultural relevancy even though he still occupies a unique spot in the collective cultural mindset, best album since Mechanical Animals/Vauxhall, etc. Maybe Manson is having his Quarry moment with his latest release, maybe not.

I don't say any of this to criticize him, I just remember when Golden Age of the Grotesque came out and I don't think it was a big comeback moment--like Quarry--where he got a lot of new fans. It sold worse than any of his previous albums and while you keep mentioning it charted at #1--so did Mechanical Animals and that sold quite a bit more copies (and while album sales declined in general that was only five years earlier).

Anyways, I am curious to see how his new album does.

well peak popularity is a weird thing. he had a lot of press around golden age and eat me (when he divorced or broke up with rose mcgowan). did he sell as well as he did in 1996 1998 no, but almost no sales figures from 20004 2006 were as good as those in the nineties. especially sales from 94 to 2002. he had a lot more causal fans in the nnieties from all of the press and spectacle but after holywood he gained a bunch of newish real fans and lost the casual observers. he kept a lot of the other fans. now fans point to eat me as the start of decline but fan opinion changes a lot from one year to the next. pointing to the chart positions id say he was still pretty popular, at least more popular than most of what else was on sale at the time, and a lot of those sales were from younger people. if you getting into him now and like born villain try eat me or the high end of low as they are more similar to that album. i love hey cruel world but that rest of that album left me a bit meh. slow motion sounds way to close heart shaped glasses for my comfort. try out eat me as its his goth rock album and is very good imo. if you like slow motion you love heart shaped glasses. i think people want to read born villain as some return but if anything im thinking putting my money of the pale emperor

If if if.
If Manson had a melody and lyric to his name he may someday enjoy the reverence and respect Morrissey does. As it is he'll be remembered as an alice cooper wannabe.

I am going to see Manson on Monday in New York City at Terminal 5 where I saw Morrissey twice in 2012, I believe it was. (I am terrible with dates and time frames as my entire life is a blur.) I've been a fan of Manson's since Portrait of an American Family although my interest in him has waxed and waned a bit through the years. I managed to see him live in 2000, I think it was, after Holywood- The Guns, God, Government tour, and then twice in 2008 I believe, after Eat Me, Drink Me was released. I'll let you all know my thoughts after the performance if anyone is really interested. I did purchase his new CD, (I still buy CDs and vinyl yet also live and die by my iPod,) but have not had time to really sit down and absorb it, though I want to before the show, as he is playing quite a few songs from it. I am not overly familiar with The High End of Low or Born Villain, so I have some catching up to do before Monday. I was ready made for Manson when he appeared on the scene and since I haven't changed all that much but rather just grown more into the person I always was, I stick by him.

I am going to see Manson on Monday in New York City at Terminal 5 where I saw Morrissey twice in 2012, I believe it was. (I am terrible with dates and time frames as my entire life is a blur.) I've been a fan of Manson's since Portrait of an American Family although my interest in him has waxed and waned a bit through the years. I managed to see him live in 2000, I think it was, after Holywood- The Guns, God, Government tour, and then twice in 2008 I believe, after Eat Me, Drink Me was released. I'll let you all know my thoughts after the performance if anyone is really interested. I did purchase his new CD, (I still buy CDs and vinyl yet also live and die by my iPod,) but have not had time to really sit down and absorb it, though I want to before the show, as he is playing quite a few songs from it. I am not overly familiar with The High End of Low or Born Villain, so I have some catching up to do before Monday. I was ready made for Manson when he appeared on the scene and since I haven't changed all that much but rather just grown more into the person I always was, I stick by him.

ive got a crush on a pretty pistol, should i tell her that i feel this way, ive got love songs in my head blowing us away. sounds good, have fun and do report back. my copy of the new one is at my mothers house awaiting me. i got on board when holywood was released as i liked the song disposable teens. if your choosing between high end of low and born villain id say go high end of low.

I also saw Morrissey at Terminal 5! Manson played near my neck of the woods last night and I almost went, mostly out of curiosity as I have not bought an album of his since Golden Age first came out (I did listen to "We're From America" once). I did not go for a variety of reasons, but was really curious as to what the show was like, etc. and have been looking for reviews. I did find the setlist online--I don't know if you are the type of person who likes to be totally surprised about set lists--but I would say you don't have too much catching up to do.

- - - Updated - - -

ive got a crush on a pretty pistol, should i tell her that i feel this way, ive got love songs in my head blowing us away. sounds good, have fun and do report back. my copy of the new one is at my mothers house awaiting me. i got on board when holywood was released as i liked the song disposable teens. if your choosing between high end of low and born villain id say go high end of low.

Back in the good old days you could listen to entire (selected ones) CDs in Hot Topic. I remember I would always go in and listen to that song on the Ozzfest live album. I thought I was pretty cool/slick as I was...fairly young at the time I think.

Back
Top Bottom