My Match.com profile

S

Steve Croce

I put together a Match.com profile.

Last edited by a moderator:
You must really want to get laid, guy...

Protip: that isn't the way.

I put together a Match.com profile and I'd like to submit my "description" to this jury. Care to take a moment and tell me what you think?

"I thought I would throw some things out that would describe what I like to do. If you recognize yourself in some of them, I think it might be worth taking the time to keep on reading my profile. If you don’t keep on reading, I swear I won’t be upset with you. I will never know anyway. I really like music, but I won’t judge your taste. I actually like dancing and having fun. I’m not into sports, but I like getting together with friends for big games. I like to read, but often have trouble finding the time. The last book I read to completion was “Winter’s Tale” by Mark Helprin (which I just learned has been made into a movie). I like someone who is spontaneous and open minded, ready to embrace last minute plans, is honest, down-to-earth, and has a sense of humor. I’m not a fan of self-centered people, TV shows, body addiction, and the superficial. I pay my own rent, I wear socks that match, and I love my mom. I am a confident and comedic person. On a typical Friday night I am either spinning records professionally or doing something fun with friends. You should message me if you are fun."

View attachment 31060 View attachment 31061

I will have to sign up so I can give you a wink. Oh wait. I have a profile. I think it is still active. Signed up a few years back at the advice of my male roommate. He was really into it. Met several women that he actually dated for a while on here. I bet they are running some free Valentine's Day promotion. I have never done anything with it. Maybe... if I find my profile I will post what I wrote and you guys can judge whether you think it fits what you know about me. Or judge whether you would give someone like me a wink. My guess is no. Haha.

Love those pics. Shows both sides of you. The intellectual and the fun guy.

:thumb:

What a shame that sharing of this kind gets such cynical reactions. You are a really handsome guy, Steve, and you sound so reasonable about all this, not at all like a some scheming exhibitionist. I'm sure a lot of women will jump out of their skin with joy when they see your profile.

Signed up a few years back at the advice of my male roommate.

The guy from here you married?

You should try joining as a woman. Although I have never tried it, I've heard it's a whole other experience entirely. I'm sure you won't be short of winks and messages (and lots of creepy men vying to "chat" with you).

You should try joining as a woman. Although I have never tried it, I've heard it's a whole other experience entirely. I'm sure you won't be short of winks and messages (and lots of creepy men vying to "chat" with you).

Hahaha. Yeah, if you are just in it for the winks right?! Get some fake hottie pic. Moths to the flame. Don't even need to have a brain.

Hahaha. Yeah, if you are just in it for the winks right?! Get some fake hottie pic. Moths to the flame. Don't even need to have a brain.

I'm unable to converse with anyone without signing up for the service.

I try to keep the whole experience truthful and real. What's the point of soliciting winks for a fictional character?

I read somewhere of a woman who was completely honest in her profile. She put a regular looking photo of herself. Wrote honestly about her likes and dislikes. Said that she had trust issues, lots of baggage, was easily bored by people, wasn't the most outgoing person....you get the idea. She was still inundated with offers for hookups. I'll try to find the article. I could have sworn it was on Jezebel but I can't seem to find it.

EDIT - here it is.

Last edited:
I'm unable to converse with anyone without signing up for the service.

I try to keep the whole experience truthful and real. What's the point of soliciting winks for a fictional character?

Is it like posting selfies, ya think? I mean why do people post selfies? For the winks--especially when they are the same type of pic over and over again... just the face looking into the camera? Someone please explain the psychology behind that. Same face. Never changes. Do they want the same compliments each time? Words are dynamic. Faces are static. A pic of a face is not something that needs updated every day. It is not an idea. An opinion that changes. A blog post. Seen the face once and that is enough.

My theory is that people who post selfies are not secure at all but just the opposite. They are very insecure and need reassured they are OK on a daily basis. They get instant feedback when someone comments on their pic. Nobody is going to say something negative. The polite thing to do is to say something nice. Or say nothing at all. If they post a text comment, they may get negative feedback. That is a risk. A pic is the ticket to instant approval. And quick and easy. Does not take much time or effort to post a photo online. Writing takes time and effort. And there is no guarantee anyone will read your words let alone comment on them. Even less guarantee that they will make a positive remark. People rarely fawn over words unless of course the writer is super witty. And there are a few of them out there. And I have seen these writers who write for their audience--hold court--to get those quick nods of approval from their 'fans.' Comedians tell jokes for the same reason--for approval. But isn't everyone an egoist? Everyone wants to be noticed. We all try to get attention by different means whether it is by posting pics, witty posts, or jokes. Some even crave attention so badly that they misbehave as a means of getting attention. Seen this in action many times in these forums.

It is all about feedback eh? Whether it is a selfie or a profile. We are presenting something we want others to judge--but only if they judge it kindly. Do we really want the truth? No, we want the version of the truth we need to hear. Moz is no different. That is why he hates this site. Because it is not all about fawning and ego stroking. He has to deal with real criticism. And negative criticism bruises an already fragile ego. Making the egoist in us crave approval even more... to repair our damaged egos. A vicious cycle.

Last edited:
I suppose my Match profile is a living document version of the selfie. I'll acquiesce to that comparison.

Again, I use it to reassure myself that I am desirable. Every day, I struggle with my self-worth.

Frankly, I don't see any harm in exploiting Match to supplement my fragile ego. It's not hurting anyone.

Yes, very.

I suppose my Match profile is a living document version of the selfie. I'll acquiesce to that comparison.

Again, I use it to reassure myself that I am desirable. Every day, I struggle with my self-worth.

Frankly, I don't see any harm in exploiting Match to supplement my fragile ego. It's not hurting anyone.

I will tell you you are desirable every day, if you like. Here is today's ;). And it is sincere. You are very handsome, funny, kind, and intelligent. That will have to do for now. :p

And no, your Match.com profile is not hurting anyone, I agree. Maybe just giving some women false hopes. They will just have to settle with the 'fantasy.'

I'm going to guess that he is real, but who really cares if he's not?
It's an entertaining thread, the pictures he posted are easy to look at, and no harm is done if it is in fact, all a joke.

Typical Bicycle Tragedy can’t help himself. What a complete shithead.

Back
Top Bottom