New book? : "Meetings with Morrissey"

I quite like this book, but like Saint Morrissey it seems to be more about the author than Morrissey. He seems to concentrate on the influences of Morrissey that he shares rather than giving the bigger picture. For example, in the key influences in the back he has a section on Nancy Sinatra but nothing about Frank! His absolute love of Oscar Wilde means he goes a bit overboard about him as well. I know Morrissey loves Wilde but I think it's stretching it a bit to try to suggest, as he does a couple of times, that nearly every song Moz has written is about Wilde or about Wilde's friends or family.

I quite like this book, but like Saint Morrissey it seems to be more about the author than Morrissey. He seems to concentrate on the influences of Morrissey that he shares rather than giving the bigger picture. For example, in the key influences in the back he has a section on Nancy Sinatra but nothing about Frank! His absolute love of Oscar Wilde means he goes a bit overboard about him as well. I know Morrissey loves Wilde but I think it's stretching it a bit to try to suggest, as he does a couple of times, that nearly every song Moz has written is about Wilde or about Wilde's friends or family.

Oh I hate when the author intrudes like that. That's why I dislike Rogan's stuff. I don't care about his interpretations of the songs, set down like he has some sort of infalliable insight.

The only info I take seriously is that coming from the man himself - hopefully quoted in context, with no spin.

I'm still very interested to read this....

Anyway, I ordered this book eons ago and it still hasn't shipped from Amazon.uk. I'm thinking of cancelling it. I can wait till it comes out here in the US. Why pay extra shipping?

The following review of the book appeared in the Manchester Evening News Saturday 30th August.

(Headline)
Attempt to get closer to the heart of an intensely private star.

Meetings with Morrissey by Len Brown (Omnibus Press £19.95)
Can much more be written about Steven Patrick Morrissey, bard of Manchester, the voice of a million dispirited youngsters? Aparently, yes.
There have been scores of books about the former Smiths frontman, but Len Brown's 'Meeting With Morrissey' gives them all a run for their money.
Ex-NME writer turned TV producer Brown claims to have met Morrissey 'more times than any other journalist', was the first to interview the iconic singer after the demise of The Smiths and he dismisses those other biographies rather scathingly as the work of stalkers or Google cut 'n' pasters.
Brown says to understand Morrissey it's important to know that it begins and ends with Oscar Wilde.
And that's where we begin here - in room 118 of the Cadogan Hotel just off London's Sloane Square, where Wilde was arrested over charges of homosexuality and where Brown's first meeting with Morrissey occurred.
That 'New Morrissey Express' interview is reproduced here but there are several previously unpublished encounters, too.
Brown doesn't pretend to be a great friend or great confidant of Morrissey but his meetings have allowed him, on the evidence here, to get closer to the heart of the intensely private, yet outspoken star.
As well as delving into the meanings of Morrissey's famed lyrics, Brown offers a comprehensive review of the singer's career and includes an informative A-Z of Morrissey's influences: Oscar Wilde, of course, the musicians from Bolan to Bowie to the New York Dolls, the Coronation Street actresses and the 'Kitchen Sink' characters which adorned many a Smiths single cover.
There's not too much new here for the true obsessives but it's still essential reading for Mozza fans; they may be happy now.
Abigail Kemp

Jukebox Jury

I had a quick look at this in Waterstone's, and without being hypercritical I was a little put-off by the dozen or so pages listing Moz's influences. To me, it just seems like a waste of paper in doing so. At £20, I'll wait for the paperback.

I don't care what other people think about Morrissey's songs. Or what they think are his 'influences.'

Have no intention of reading some bloke's thoughts on Morrissey, even if he's sat in a room with Moz a few times.

The songs are enough until THE book appears.

Morrissey - Unchanged Melody.

I don't care what other people think about Morrissey's songs. Or what they think are his 'influences.'

Have no intention of reading some bloke's thoughts on Morrissey, even if he's sat in a room with Moz a few times.

The songs are enough until THE book appears.

Morrissey - Unchanged Melody.

Well, it's entirely your right to not want to read other people's analyses, but personally I find it fascinating. I have ideas and theories about songs, but it's a fluid thing moulded by reading other peoples' views and thinking 'you know, I never thought of it like that before'. In defence of Len Brown, his book really isn't like that, it's a very interesting read in that it holds snapshots of times when Morrissey's career was in flux.

However, I agree with you that THE BOOK will top them all.

'Unchanged Melody'? May I newly nominate 'Me And My Mini'. A salute to one of Manchester's true eccentrics.

Peter

I bought mine from amazon.de for 18.95 Euros (about 15 GBP). I've read about 100 pages so far and must say it's not as good as Johnny Rogan's books but miles better than Mark Simpson's and David Bret's outputs.

I am quite enjoying this book. We already have Rogan's biography for all the little factual details about Morrissey's personal life. Len Brown's biography seems to be more about Morrissey the artist. And because it's filled with interview quotes, you get it straight from the horse's mouth. There's less personal interpretation.

Of course in this day of gossip and sensationalism some people are bound to be disappointed. They won't find a list of Morrissey's secret lovers and they won't find any quotes to prove that he is a racist, if that's what they're after. But they'll get a better understanding of where he comes from as an artist, and what are the forces that drive him creatively.

The book is a bit personal at times, but for me that gives this biography a good angle. Brown was a fan of the Smiths before getting to interview Morrissey. I'm only half way through, but if it keeps on the way it started this will be among my favourite biographies of the man.

Stephane

I've just picked up my copy.....
For those worried about paying £20 try this, go to the 'Borders' bookshop website. create an account for their internet ordering, they have this book for £9.99 in Hardback. free postage to your nearest Borders!!
Don't buy direct from Borders shop though, it's still 20 quid. Go figure.

I'm considering buying this book. I quite liked the interview with the author, posted on the main page - and no...I'm not the author :rolleyes: :)

I'm halfway through and enjoying it so far.
Len Brown gives background on the social and political climate that adds to understanding of the songs and the impact they had at the time. Good for younger listeners who might lack knowledge of the context.

Also he is present as writer, giving his own experiences and stating where his views on Morrissey might differ from what is commonly accepted/accused.
He places emphasis on the sustained influence of Oscar Wilde's life and writings on Morrissey.

But as said before, only THE book can tell what Morrissey wants us to believe.

I did not intend to buy the book, but accidently found it from a bookstore today. It was rather expensive but of course I ended up purchasing it.
Haven't begin to read it yet but I'll give props from the cover. Very nice.

There was a nice review of the book in the new edition of Record Collector.
(There was a review of the DVD: ""The queen is dead under review too)

I finished it a couple of weeks ago and quite enjoyed it, though the constant references to Oscar Wilde did begin to get on my wick;);) I did start a thread about the following, but as usual it was merged into an ancient thread and got lost, so I got no answers:mad:

A big shock for me was found on pages 217/218 when in writing about a meeting he (Brown) has with Morrissey on July 2nd 2003 in the Grapes pub in Manchester, apparently the following happened "..... and Morrissey says "its resolved, I've paid him".........he assured me, although later he feared Joyce might want more......"

1. Is this news?
2. Did I miss the thread on the conclusion of this conflict between M and J?
3. Is it not true?

I would truly love to believe that it did finally get resolved and that at least monetary wise, the Joyce feud is over for our Moz?

I am finding this book very difficult to read- the author seems like a bit of a smug c&*! in my humble opinion. So far it has just not captured my imagination. Hopefully I will be proved wrong when I get a bit further in.

Back
Top Bottom