New book? : "Meetings with Morrissey"

Judgeing by the first seventy pages I've enjoyed the book quite alot. It has its boring parts, mostly because such things as Morrissey younger years (what TV-shows he watched, what bands did he listen..) and the Smiths-phase has been documented before. But the fact that the author has in fact interviewed the artist that he has written the book about makes this a thousand times more interesting than the Johnny Rogan effort. Len Brown also writes in a much more interesting way than Johnny Rogan ever did on Alliance. And photos are always nice.

Moz ''Men who wished they were women.....''

Hello all heavenly people!

I was in waterstones yesterday to have a quick look through Meetings With Morrissey and of course the SECOND chapter i skipped to was 'sex and the single male' and there was a snippet from an interview from Moz replying after being questioned about people he has slept with something about the ''the people he has slept with were women as far as he knew, or they wished they were''

So does maybe confirm that Moz has indeed been f***ing just men? Some of whom were rather efeminate and wished they were women?:horny:
And it's his usual way of making all his answers into some kind of riddle? Does anyone else know what I'm talking about here?

Many Thanks

Viva Moz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Moz ''Men who wished they were women.....''

I was in waterstones yesterday to have a quick look through Meetings With Morrissey and of course the SECOND chapter i skipped to was 'sex and the single male' and there was a snippet from an interview from Moz replying after being questioned about people he has slept with something about the ''the people he has slept with were women as far as he knew, or they wished they were''

So does maybe confirm that Moz has indeed been f***ing just men? Some of whom were rather efeminate and wished they were women?:horny:
And it's his usual way of making all his answers into some kind of riddle? Does anyone else know what I'm talking about here?

Many Thanks

Ok so my post was moved? so can no one answer my question?

Many Thanks

I've seen this quote a few times and I think Moz is just being his usual wonderfully obtuse self. It, like Morrissey, is open to interpretation.

I've seen this quote a few times and I think Moz is just being his usual wonderfully obtuse self. It, like Morrissey, is open to interpretation.

Thank you for that, very very well put may I say.

Also your signature is fabulous, who said it by the way?

The actual quote, in answer to a question of whether his relationships were all with women, was:

"They seemed to be, as far as I knew. They would all be women if they had a choice."

which is slightly different to they wished they were women.

But I agree that it means absolutely nothing. It's just Morrissey playing with what he considers a too personal question and avoiding saying anything.

Re: Sex & the single male

there was a snippet from an interview from Moz replying after being questioned about people he has slept with something about the ''the people he has slept with were women as far as he knew, or they wished they were''

Many Thanks

In a conference in Manchester a couple of years back, local DJ Dave Haslam spoke about the nights (or it may have been just 1 nite) when he and others would end up back at someone's house after a night out and Moz was, shall we say, active throughout the night with someone.

I can't recall his exact words but it was something along the lines of him certainly not being gay 'back then'.

Don't know if other solo-ers here can recall that...

I quite like this book, but like Saint Morrissey it seems to be more about the author than Morrissey. He seems to concentrate on the influences of Morrissey that he shares rather than giving the bigger picture. For example, in the key influences in the back he has a section on Nancy Sinatra but nothing about Frank! His absolute love of Oscar Wilde means he goes a bit overboard about him as well. I know Morrissey loves Wilde but I think it's stretching it a bit to try to suggest, as he does a couple of times, that nearly every song Moz has written is about Wilde or about Wilde's friends or family.

Yes, the authors passion for Wilde goes over the top a few times, mainly at the end of the book while summing up Morrissey and his career. Wilde is the soul of Morrisseys artistic viewpoints but trying to infiltrate that connection to almost everything Moz has done gives me the impression that all the influences he'd picked along the way buries Morrisseys own creativity/talent somewhere underneath. Altough the similarity of the lifes of Morrissey and Wilde (as the book tells us) is very strange.

In a conference in Manchester a couple of years back, local DJ Dave Haslam spoke about the nights (or it may have been just 1 nite) when he and others would end up back at someone's house after a night out and Moz was, shall we say, active throughout the night with someone.

I can't recall his exact words but it was something along the lines of him certainly not being gay 'back then'.

Don't know if other solo-ers here can recall that...

Oh wow!! So can anyone confirm this? Do you know around what time this DJ was talking about?

Oh wow!! So can anyone confirm this? Do you know around what time this DJ was talking about?

Dead right, I was there. It was in his "I Am Critically Maimed" lecture. He said that he didn't believe that Morrissey was celibate. In fact, I remember his exact words...

Dave Haslam - "I could tell you who he was sleeping with back then! But I won't."

Peter

I Moz was, shall we say, active throughout the night with someone.

I can't recall his exact words but it was something along the lines of him certainly not being gay 'back then'...
Dead right, I was there. It was in his "I Am Critically Maimed" lecture. He said that he didn't believe that Morrissey was celibate. In fact, I remember his exact words...
Dave Haslam - "I could tell you who he was sleeping with back then! But I won't."
Peter
Why people always insist on the only gay or only straight tag?
What happened to the grey zone inbetween : Bisexuality etc?
I did go through this one Morrissey-Fanpage where old interviews are stored and he said in more than one Interview that he is attracted to Men and Women. And in one Interview, I do not remember which one it was,he said he had slept with a Man but is also open to sleep with Women.

Didnt he also decribe himself as bisexual in a Letter or something?

You know "I can have both" and so on.

So if he (as a bisexual Man) was there with a Woman-making out -that does not make him automatically straight.^

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't believe anything a media hanger on will say. They are always pretending to have inside knowledge that they couldn't possibly share with the rest of us for some reason. Could the reason be that they are full of bullshit and would be worried about getting sued?

Finally, after a 3 month struggle with Amazon, I received my copy of this book a few days ago. I finished it today.

Long story short: It was worth the wait.

The main focus here is on Morrissey's art. And that's why I love it.

First of all, the author knows his subject, and this makes all the difference. I think Len Brown is likeable. He's a fan, but he's rational in his approach. He doesn't seem to have a set agenda, he's sincerely interested in and, most importantly, familiar with, the influences that feed Morrissey's art.

One of my favorite moments is in the chapter "Into Exile" where Brown interviews Moz for The Brit Girlsdocumentary. Picture Morrissey in the driver's seat of a silver sports car, zipping around England in search of an appropriate interview spot (they've been chucked out of a park in Manchester for not having a permit). Moz is playing song after song by Sixties girl groups and challenges Len to "Name That Tune in one." Yikes! The interview itself is fascinating, Morrissey's knowledge is voluminous. He must have a photographic memory.

In the same chapter Brown recounts a beautifully awkward run-in with Moz at a book store....trust me, you just have to read it. Moz asks him if he's read any Housman "You really should read A Shropshire Lad," he says. Isn't that a quote from A Room with A View?

They exchange faxes quoting Blondie lyrics.

Maybe its just me, but I love little nuggets like that. How one work references another, like little bits of code to decipher and explore.

I think all the references to Wilde are interesting, and well researched and supported. The parallels (conscious or subconscious) are there. This could have been one big thesis paper on the influence of Wilde in Morrissey's work, but it goes well beyond that, because Morrissey's work extends well beyond that.

The only disturbing content for me was the feeling that, if Morrissey's obsession with death, dying, suicide, and all the tragic Wildean parallels hold true, the future is painted as fatalistic and bleak. I'd argue that he has already surpassed the need for a tragic end. His legacy is already in place. And there's still so much more to be said - in music and in print. Besides, living well is the best revenge.

Now all we need is the official autobiography.

So yeah, thumbs up!

Last edited:
Finally, after a 3 month struggle with Amazon, I received my copy of this book a few days ago. I finished it today.

Long story short: It was worth the wait.

The main focus here is on Morrissey's art. And that's why I love it.

First of all, the author knows his subject, and this makes all the difference. I think Len Brown is likeable. He's a fan, but he's rational in his approach. He doesn't seem to have a set agenda, he's sincerely interested in and, most importantly, familiar with, the influences that feed Morrissey's art.

One of my favorite moments is in the chapter "Into Exile" where Brown interviews Moz for The Brit Girlsdocumentary. Picture Morrissey in the driver's seat of a silver sports car, zipping around England in search of an appropriate interview spot (they've been chucked out of a park in Manchester for not having a permit). Moz is playing song after song by Sixties girl groups and challenges Len to "Name That Tune in one." Yikes! The interview itself is fascinating, Morrissey's knowledge is voluminous. He must have a photographic memory.

In the same chapter Brown recounts a beautifully awkward run-in with Moz at a book store....trust me, you just have to read it. Moz asks him if he's read any Housman "You really should read A Shropshire Lad," he says. Isn't that a quote from A Room with A View?

They exchange faxes quoting Blondie lyrics.

Maybe its just me, but I love little nuggets like that. How one work references another, like little bits of code to decipher and explore.

I think all the references to Wilde are interesting, and well researched and supported. The parallels (conscious or subconscious) are there. This could have been one big thesis paper on the influence of Wilde in Morrissey's work, but it goes well beyond that, because Morrissey's work extends well beyond that.

The only disturbing content for me was the feeling that, if Morrissey's obsession with death, dying, suicide, and all the tragic Wildean parallels hold true, the future is painted as fatalistic and bleak. I'd argue that he has already surpassed the need for a tragic end. His legacy is already in place. And there's still so much more to be said - in music and in print. Besides, living well is the best revenge.

Now all we need is the official autobiography.

So yeah, thumbs up!

Based on this review, i gotta buy it.. (id been resisting) :)

oh gosh....
forgot about the pictures...
*dashes off to amazon*

Back
Top Bottom