NME: "Rick Astley tells us about his Glastonbury secret set of Smiths covers with Blossoms" (June 24, 2023)

Rick-Astley-and-Blossoms-Kentish-Town-Forum-13.9.21-c-Peter-Neill-1-1392x884.jpg

Astley on the reactions of Morrissey and Johnny Marr, and what it means to play Glasto: "I know it’s sacrilege and they should hang the lot of us on the line for doing it, but I also just don’t care"

Rick Astley/Blossoms play Smiths set at Glastonbury

In the contemporary imagination, Astley is identified with the rick-roll. It’s the now classic troll move. Not sure if that can be separated from this seemingly sincere tribute and impersonation.

Morrissey’s reputation is beyond repair, unfortunately. Opinions are the same everywhere and the judgement of the majority matters when you’re still in pursuit of mainstream approval and mainstream record deals.

What does Moz have that cannot be displaced by these performances? He remains, evidenced in his recent live appearances, a gifted singer and showman. These unique powers are the final counter-argument to (hopefully) ironic dreams of The Smiths rebuilt and redrawn without any traces of the frontman that held it all together, and probably pulled it apart.

Morrissey’s public opinions can offend, yet his talents as a singer and songwriter are not so easy to cheapen. Astley is fun but he’s not the real deal. When all is settled, Morrissey still deserves something, even if he has alienated an otherwise fanatical fanbase.

“One musical artist has been brave enough to point out the hypocritical and harmful industry that takes place at good ol’ ‘Glasto’. Morrissey blew the whistle on his being blocked from performing The Smiths track Meat Is Murder with its video of standard practice on the big screen. He went on to state that milk production is even more cruel than meat and highlight how environmentally damaging it is.”

“One musical artist has been brave enough to point out the hypocritical and harmful industry that takes place at good ol’ ‘Glasto’. Morrissey blew the whistle on his being blocked from performing The Smiths track Meat Is Murder with its video of standard practice on the big screen. He went on to state that milk production is even more cruel than meat and highlight how environmentally damaging it is.”

It's doubtful The Rick Astley & Blossoms' Smiths Revue will ever cover Meat Is Murder with factory farming footage on the stage screen. What surprises me is that the rest of the Smiths catalog is so popular now as "sing along & fun time" nostalgia. I thought the songs were unique and prickly enough to withstand it, but I guess the gooey commodity monster eats everything in the end.

It's doubtful The Rick Astley & Blossoms' Smiths Revue will ever cover Meat Is Murder with factory farming footage on the stage screen. What surprises me is that the rest of the Smiths catalog is so popular now as "sing along & fun time" nostalgia. I thought the songs were unique and prickly enough to withstand it, but I guess the gooey commodity monster eats everything in the end.

People have loved Smiths tribute acts for decades, the songs are memorable and music is amazing.

Rick, The Blossoms and 8000 people had a great time, that's all that matters isn't it?

People have loved Smiths tribute acts for decades, the songs are memorable and music is amazing.

I know there are reasonably successful Smiths tribute bands, so far as that sort of dorky thing goes. But none of them played Glastonbury and got gushed all over by the British national press.

As much as I dislike Paul Joseph Watson and David Vance being shared on Morrissey’s blog, I’m sure I’d rather him an alt-right pariah than this darling of Glastonbury or whatever Rick Astley is. I prefer a malcontent vegetarian to a vacuous crowd-pleaser. Let the casual fans have Astley and Blossoms—they deserve each other.

I know there are reasonably successful Smiths tribute bands, so far as that sort of dorky thing goes. But none of them played Glastonbury and got gushed all over by the British national press.

As much as I dislike Paul Joseph Watson and David Vance being shared on Morrissey’s blog, I’m sure I’d rather him an alt-right pariah than this darling of Glastonbury or whatever Rick Astley is. I prefer a malcontent vegetarian to a vacuous crowd-pleaser. Let the casual fans have Astley and Blossoms—they deserve each other.

Morrissey and that band made a massive impact, that Morrissey has turned his back on a lot of the people he touched in his earlier phase is a sad thing. Before he was famous he was a true outsider, now he's just a rich, successful bloke with a chip on his shoulder. He's not an outsider because of his music(it's fairly safe really) so how do you get any satisfaction from him being the Katie Hopkins of UK music?

Morrissey and that band made a massive impact, that Morrissey has turned his back on a lot of the people he touched in his earlier phase is a sad thing. Before he was famous he was a true outsider, now he's just a rich, successful bloke with a chip on his shoulder. He's not an outsider because of his music(it's fairly safe really) so how do you get any satisfaction from him being the Katie Hopkins of UK music?

Telling the meat-eating listeners they're complicit in murder is "fairly safe"? There are other aspects too. The homoeroticism wasn't cartoonish like Boy George and Frankie, and then there was the suicide ballad, unflinchingly sincere. There was plenty of caustic humor in the Smiths but there was also a genuine morosity. I guess everyone's different. For me the Smiths were never "good times sing along" music. They were one of the precious few bands where "you lay in awe on your bedroom floor and said 'don't, whoa, smother me mother.'"

But judging from the glowing Glastonbury enthusiasm, other people seem to see the music as bourgeois and cutesy and "oh wasn't the clever miserablist adorable back in the day?" I don't think he's the Katie Hopkins of UK music (worst case scenario, he's more like late period Evelyn Waugh, or Jack Kerouac, to take an American) but even if he's gone loony conservative, that's still at least more of an F.U. than this treacly Astley/Blossoms winner, because not much has changed: "and when they haul me down the hall | and when they kick me down the stairs | I see the faces all lined up before me | of teachers and of parents and | bosses who | all share a point of view: | 'you are a loser'."

I only brought up Katie Hopkins as you said an alt right pariah is preferable to the love in his words and work was getting at Glastonbury.

Yeah, Safe wasn't the word I was searching for, it's fairly bog standard guitar stuff when it comes down to it even if lyrically he sometimes broaches contentious issues, but he has always done that, it's the stuff he says outside the music that really gets him the reputation.

That may be your preference, but pretty sure Moz would prefer the adulation instead of being an unmentionable footnote. Unfortunately, he's not capable of attaining the state of grace he once had.

I agree with you that Glastonbury is not the right place for M - partly because the event itself is such a boring, safe corporate mish mash of McActs like Guns and Roses. It jumped the shark years many ago. However, I think its a false choice between Alt right pariah and Glastonbury headliner. There are loads of other, smaller, better curated and more stylish/well thought out events with a literary/artistic slant that would suit M better. For example, curating and playing Meltdown some years ago was perfect for him or somewhere like Manchester International Festival? I would love to see M get some recognition for his work, but that does not have to be restricted to the false stamp of media approval that is playing Glasto. In order to achieve this he has to stop reposting the likes of Vance who is absolutely revelling in the attention that M is giving him and trying to hitch his wagon to his. There needs to be a conscious uncoupling. He will never be fully 'forgiven' by a certain section of the public and it is highly unlikely he would ever issue the usual celebrity apology, but he could regain some lost ground and respect by ceasing to give these guys the Morrissey adjacent stardust they crave. By reposting crap just because these people mention his name he continues to look unhinged, needy and desperate - and more than anything lacking in any degree of taste, which is astonishing seeeing as how it is clear from his autobiography that every last detail of The Smiths was meticulously curated. He's better than that.

If you’ve watched Rick Nasty singing The Smiths you’ll realize how shit someone else is at singing Morrissey’s lyrics. Music is ok.

Verdict: Skip and watch a Morrissey/Smiths gig on YouTube.

Why the f*** isn’t Morrissey headlining ffs!
His hair. It's all about the hair for me.

Watching Astley Blossoms Smiths Glastonbury set and it is surprisingly, incredibility very good. I would definitely go see that guilt free.

Am i the only one ....... that thinks this is shit and has actually harmed Moz, due to the reactions.

I f***ing hated Rick Astley, he can't sing, had 1 memorable hit that's become a shit meme the fact that so many people love this that don't like the Smiths tells you all you need to know.....

Younger me could never imagined this. Huge credit to Rick and The Blossoms. Genuinely fantastic!

Astley in a noose has remained a song from my youth that I still play occasionally and still enjoy. Saw Miles discuss this song on a podcast not long ago and how he feels some regret.

Never in my most wild of dreams could I have imagined I would definitely go see Astley and wish Morrissey would shut the f*** up. Just stop! Wheesht! Stop ruining your legacy further. Let us pretend you aren't such a massive kaunt.

At least let us remember when it was wasn't beyond doubt.

Am i the only one ....... that thinks this is shit and has actually harmed Moz, due to the reactions.

I f***ing hated Rick Astley, he can't sing, had 1 memorable hit that's become a shit meme the fact that so many people love this that don't like the Smiths tells you all you need to know.....

I don't think it matters one way or the other when it comes to Morrissey(outside a few days of gossip), it's a fun-time celebrity tribute act of the Smiths. Loads of people who love the Smiths loved it, even people who still love Morrissey. Nothing wrong with thinking it's shit though, if you don't like it, you don't like it.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom