Old blurb about How Soon Is Now video

I was researching Suicidal Tendencies' eponymous album, and I came across this blurb about the How Soon Is Now video:

"How Soon Is Now' by the Smiths is another great video that got some airplay on national outlets (MTV claims it was in rotation for 26 weeks). This video, by Ross/Levine Productions, was released by Warner Bros. Records in December 1984 and its visual impact is being felt by many videos that are popular today. The look of this 8mm production, with jump cuts and scratchy film, has been used recently as a technique in 'new' videos by the Dream Academy, Charlie Sexton and The Pet Shop Boys. "How Soon Is Now' evokes images in the viewers minds rather than simply telling a story. It is much more effective than videos that tell you what to think."​

Owen, Michael. Back Stage 27. (May 16, 1986): pp20B(2). (2016 words)

I was researching Suicidal Tendencies' eponymous album, and I came across this blurb about the How Soon Is Now video:

"How Soon Is Now' by the Smiths is another great video that got some airplay on national outlets (MTV claims it was in rotation for 26 weeks). This video, by Ross/Levine Productions, was released by Warner Bros. Records in December 1984 and its visual impact is being felt by many videos that are popular today. The look of this 8mm production, with jump cuts and scratchy film, has been used recently as a technique in 'new' videos by the Dream Academy, Charlie Sexton and The Pet Shop Boys. "How Soon Is Now' evokes images in the viewers minds rather than simply telling a story. It is much more effective than videos that tell you what to think."​

Owen, Michael. Back Stage 27. (May 16, 1986): pp20B(2). (2016 words)

Well, that's all well and good but I'm still waiting to know who the girl is in that video! :D

Well, that's all well and good but I'm still waiting to know who the girl is in that video! :D

I was always under the impression it was Mike Joyce's girlfriend / wife...Is this not the case

From CemetryGates.com:

Who is the girl in the "How Soon Is Now" video?

We don't know exactly who she is yet, but we've gotten some interesting info from fans.

First, the video was made by student filmmakers in England who were commissioned by Sire. The girl was a friend of the filmmakers and was either a model or an acting student. Second, she is a friend of a friend of a Smiths fan! At the time the video was shot, 1985, she was working at a modelling agency in New York. Through the agency she got the opportunity to appear in the video. She didn't know who The Smiths were at the time and wasn't and probably isn't a fan of the band. However she apparently did listen to some cool music and was open minded. She has a child now and is living in Alabama. Perhaps we'll just leave it at that so we don't unleash a mob of Smiths fans to her door.

But, if you're reading this, e-mail us!

Back
Top Bottom