Record Collector: Jim Reid (The Jesus And Mary Chain) on The Smiths debut album

Couple of bits from the latest Record Collector #556 (April, 2024):

The Smiths
(Rough Trade, 1984)

"William is a massive Smiths fan. I wasn't a fan then and I'm not a fan now. It used to drive me mad because I couldn't find anyone back then who didn't like The Smiths. I don't get them at all. They leave me completely cold."

markup_1000159543.png

Small bit on a record shop too:

markup_1000159524.png

FWD.

lol I guess it doesn't surprise me, that said I remember hearing a radio interview with him from 86 or 87 where he praised The Smiths and complained about how the radio doesn't play them enough, despite selling records and all that.

Personally I'd have the JAMC in the Top 3 Scottish bands of all time which is high praise.

I don't dislike people for not liking the same bands as me. I honestly don't care.

Who are the best Scottish bands? Way back I was pretty fond of a post punk band called Josef K.

Big Country and The Skids for me
I know them by name, but I don’t think I’ve actively listened to them.

How the hell could I forget the Cocteau Twins?! They’re obviously my favorite Scottish band. Their first two albums are among the finest in all of post punk.

I know them by name, but I don’t think I’ve actively listened to them.

How the hell could I forget the Cocteau Twins?! They’re obviously my favorite Scottish band. Their first two albums are among the finest in all of post punk.
Second favourite, Shirley?
IMG_9718.jpeg

I think the magazine insisted on him mentioning The Smiths, thro’ the conceit of asking his opinion on influential debuts.

I can agree with him on two things: that VU album is one of the handful of gold standards for modern music, and Licensed to Ill isn’t.
Yeah I don't get rap or the beastie boys at all. It's the carousel of the untalented.

Darklands I liked a lot too.
Their comeback albums didn’t do it for me.
Love Darklands too and I still have to listen to their new album next month.
Will see them live next month.
I can see how the Smiths might be too subtle or gentle for them. After all, JAMC music is mostly a wall of sound with no deep lyrics. It doesn’t bother me though.

You know, the debut is my least-liked Smiths record. I don't like early Morrissey's voice, and songs like the hand that rocks the cradle and suffer little children just do nothing for me.

However, if we're talking other debuts, Delays' 'Faded Seaside Glamour' will always hold a special place in my heart and life. Perfect, dreamy synth indie pop. Like if the aforementioned Cocteau Twins had a baby with The Las.

I frigging loved Delays, their lead singer is so sorely missed. Such wasted potential. Here's a beautiful, poignant interview with his brother about the vinyl reissue and the effect of losing his brother, well worth a read if you've ever lost someone who means the world to you:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...elays-interview-death-of-brother-greg-gilbert

Last edited:
I had a chance to see Big Country live in the good old days.
Just feel very sad about the way it ended.

They were great live, saw them a couple of times in Manchester back in the day and then more recently when Mike Peters from the Alarm was singing for them. I was deeply shocked when Stuart took his own life.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom