Revelation tracks discussion

I like HLU and LOD, but portions of the vocal for HLU feel a bit... awkward ("it was me who brought them back together", "she is so kind and he is so clever"). Other parts of the song are brilliant though, particularly the chorus, and I love the guitar line. The chorus of LOD is better than the verses for me. But hey, I'm sure they'll grow on me - after a couple of listens I do prefer HLU. SWAD is the best song on the bootleg though!

Last edited:
You guys are right. You see I couldn't have any help in deciphering those lyrics, and English is my second language, so I may have made a few mistakes. If you find any other differences, please let me know!

Stephane

Are the version the same or different than the ones you have?

I'm hoping they're different.

Oh and on the source of the leak? In the early 2000s Rhino put together tentative reissues of VH, BD, KU, YA, V&I and SG with bonus material. Every album was to feature about 5-6 bonus tracks from the same era. These bonus songs were unreleased titles or alternate studio takes. I was lucky enough to be sent internal review copies of each of these tentative albums. The projects never reached completion because Morrissey, understandably, was more interested in his new material (YATQ) than old material.

I know I wasn't the only person who received copies. I think someone else in the same situation as me is responsible for the leak because of the way the songs are presented on the bootleg. For example "Happy Lovers United" is credited as being from the Bona Drag sessions, and the song was tagged on the Bona Drag project cd. The fact that "Please Help The Cause..." matches the version I have on the Viva Hate cd instead of any version that have already leaked or any other alternate versions that are still out there unleaked adds weight to this theory. This only thing that doesn't seem to work along is that the version of Oh Phoney is different to the one tagged onto Bona Drag.

So the bootlegger found a way to make a few dollars/pounds off Morrissey fans by leaking the songs via a bootleg LP instead of just putting them on the internet. I suspect they might try again with some of the other material, which is good for the Morrissey community, but not very honourable in my opinion. If you are going to betray the trust that was put in you, don't make it worse by making money on music they was given to you for free.

Stephane

Understandable, I wish they would be released free. I'd be very very interested in what the YA bonuses would be, I guess Fantastic bird would have been one. Wonder what others we would have got with that, maybe a live recording of Insatiable?

Oh and on the source of the leak? In the early 2000s Rhino put together tentative reissues of VH, BD, KU, YA, V&I and SG with bonus material. Every album was to feature about 5-6 bonus tracks from the same era. These bonus songs were unreleased titles or alternate studio takes. I was lucky enough to be sent internal review copies of each of these tentative albums. The projects never reached completion because Morrissey, understandably, was more interested in his new material (YATQ) than old material.

I know I wasn't the only person who received copies. I think someone else in the same situation as me is responsible for the leak because of the way the songs are presented on the bootleg. For example "Happy Lovers United" is credited as being from the Bona Drag sessions, and the song was tagged on the Bona Drag project cd. The fact that "Please Help The Cause..." matches the version I have on the Viva Hate cd instead of any version that have already leaked or any other alternate versions that are still out there unleaked adds weight to this theory. This only thing that doesn't seem to work along is that the version of Oh Phoney is different to the one tagged onto Bona Drag.

So the bootlegger found a way to make a few dollars/pounds off Morrissey fans by leaking the songs via a bootleg LP instead of just putting them on the internet. I suspect they might try again with some of the other material, which is good for the Morrissey community, but not very honourable in my opinion. If you are going to betray the trust that was put in you, don't make it worse by making money on music they was given to you for free.

Stephane

Agree Totally.

Are the version the same or different than the ones you have? I'm hoping they're different.

I've just downloaded the Revelation tracks about 20 minutes ago and with just a quick check they sound all the same, except for Oh Phoney. They are just more muffled, I suppose because of the transfer to vinyl, then MP3. See my previous post.

Stephane

I'd be very very interested in what the YA bonuses would be, I guess Fantastic bird would have been one.

There Speaks A True Friend (full length version)
Fantastic Bird
Pashernate Love (long version)
Seasick Yet Still Docked (acoustic alternate)
Let The Right One Slip In (alternate long mix)
Jack The Ripper

There's more from the YA sessions, but this is what Rhino was planning to put on the reissue.

Stephane

This sounds very interesting. It really is a shame that it never came to fruition. I for one still hold out a small flame of hope that we may see these reissues one day.

I don't suppose the planned Rhino reissue of SG bears any resemblance to the recent Legacy reissue? I noticed in a post of yours that "Fantastic Bird" would have been included on the YA reissue from Rhino. I'm assuming, then, that bonus tracks for SG would have included, say, "You Should Have Been Nice to Me" and the acoustic demo of "Reader Meet Author" that's been leaked?

Perhaps, if you could kindly inform us of the tracks planned to be included on each Rhino album reissue? If that has no bearing to your sources, that is. I know that I and many others would greatly appreciate it.

Perhaps, if you could kindly inform us of the tracks planned to be included on each Rhino album reissue? If that has no bearing to your sources, that is. I know that I and many others would greatly appreciate it.

To Stephane, I wanted to ask the same thing, but I wasn't sure if it was appropriate. :o

Happy lovers is clearly post Viva Hate. It has to be a recording for the unfinished 1990 album. No Reilly on guitar, sounds like Armstrong (sessioneer around this time).
Could have been an acceptable B-side. Better than Journalists, f.e.

Sorry, but I think you're wrong. It's in Stephen Street's Viva Hate Book, along with other unreleased songs like Safe Warm Lancashire Home, I Don't Want Us To Finish and Treat Me Like A Human Being, along with all the other Viva Hate songs, and other early singles. And Lifeguard On Duty.

Look here, towards the end, on a right-hand page at the bottom.

Peter

P.S Happy Lovers has definite pre-echoes (?) of Ouija Board and At Amber. To my ears, anyway.

Last edited:
Happy lovers is clearly post Viva Hate. It has to be a recording for the unfinished 1990 album. No Reilly on guitar, sounds like Armstrong (sessioneer around this time).
Could have been an acceptable B-side. Better than Journalists, f.e.

No, you're clearly wrong! It was recorded at the Everyday Is Like Sunday b-side sessions. Which means it has the Viva Hate line-up. Although Disappointed and the Will Never Marry edit went on to the Bona Drag compilation this clearly belongs in the Viva Hate era. Presumably, that is Reilly playing guitar, although you never know - he might have refused...

You are right. Sorry.
I really thought it sounded like "Picadilly Palare" + B-sides, especially the drum production. But I didn't check Streets Viva Hate book to intensely, I must admit.
So it was recorded early in 1988. Thanks for clearing this up.

Last edited:

Stephane

I can see where you're coming from but if there's a choice between me hearing them, or them sitting at the bottom of someones drawer getting dusty then I'm happy to pay to hear them. Obviously if they do get put out for free then the mores the better, but I'm not going to begrudge anyone bringing me Morrissey-type treats. Of course, if we could get proper MP3/CD quality version then that'd be just as fantastic.

Any chance you could give us the line-up of what was on each of the CDs? I'd assume the project is dead now anyway.

Thank you so much. "Lifeguard On Duty" is so lovely, and "Happy Lovers United" is the best "new" Morrissey song I've heard in the last 15 years. I'm so happy right now.

Stephane, I'd be very interested in what the VH and BD bonuses would be.

Last edited:
Fascinating.

Mozzer's wilderness years strong contemplation was being given to releasing his back catalogue with alternative outtakes/ unreleased stuff.

If it wasn't for politics.... there sounds like there is a future boxset out there, if only Morrissey would give it the nod?

A big "thank u" to Stephane (again) for explaining some background of the unreleased songs & versions. I would really like to know the tracklist of all the Rhino remasters if you could find the time.:thumb:

Another question which came to mind, was about the drumming on the 2 SG tracks. Is this still Woodie Taylor during the first sessions around 12/1994 or Spencer again after his comeback in 01/1995?

Last edited:
I've just downloaded the Revelation tracks about 20 minutes ago and with just a quick check they sound all the same, except for Oh Phoney. They are just more muffled, I suppose because of the transfer to vinyl, then MP3. See my previous post.

Stephane

Downloaded? from where?

Help i want to listen!!!!

Tags
loves it revelation viva motorways viva stephane
Back
Top Bottom