Morrissey Central "SHAKE THE HAND THAT SHOOK THE HAND" (January 5, 2024)

Meetings most prized, when the
pleasure and privilege was mine:
pressing palms, exuding charms;
times gone …
by Morrissey

full

Joan Collins and Anthony Newley.

1.Anthony Newley
2.Richard Attenborough
3.Lou Reed
4.Peter Wyngarde
5.Nancy Sinatra
6.David Bowie
7.Nico
8.Tom Jones
9.Marianne Faithfull
10.Richard Davalos
11.Eve Arden
12.Dick Gregory
13.Joan Collins
14.Cliff Richard
15.Luchiani Pavarotti
16.Ennio Morricone
17.Pat Phoenix
18.Mick Ronson
19.Iggy Pop
20.Martin Sheen
21.Pete Townshend
22.Mick Jagger
23.Jeff Beck
24.Al Martino
25.Victoria Wood
26.Joel Fabiani
27.Patti Smith
28.William Shatner
29.Rita Tushingham
30.Alan Bennett
31.David Bailey
32.Mel Gibson
33.Elaine Stritch
34.Vanessa Redgrave
35.Buffy Sainte-Marie
36.Paul Simon
37.Johnny Carson
38.Cathy McGowan
39.Kenny Lynch
40. Eartha Kitt
41.Jackson Browne
42.Joni Mitchell
43.Charles Pierce
44.David Johansen
45.Johnny Thunders
46.Mavis Nicholson
47.Leee Black Childers
48.Lauren Bacall
49.Dora Bryan
50.Joan Sims
51.Melvyn Bragg
52.Marc Bolan

Joel Fabiani and Peter Wyngarde in Department S

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems a bit like a follow on from that last US news interview he did, perhaps reflecting back at the end of another year.

Would’ve been better just to list the names / not give a number (as though a rank of importance, as the placing seem rather bizarre given past references to the people / bands )

Considering his age / time of Marc Bolan’s death , I imagine he met him at a gig whilst a young fan (is it in the autobiography ? Severed alliance book?

Surprised to see Sir Cliff so high up the list. Guess Moz is just a big fan of 'Mistletoe & Wine'.

Seems a bit like a follow on from that last US news interview he did, perhaps reflecting back at the end of another year.

Would’ve been better just to list the names / not give a number (as though a rank of importance, as the placing seem rather bizarre given past references to the people / bands )

Considering his age / time of Marc Bolan’s death , I imagine he met him at a gig whilst a young fan (is it in the autobiography ? Severed alliance book?
He said it was at the tail end of Bolans life and he saw him when Bolan was alone and he refused an autograph. Im not sure it was in Autobiography, just an interview somewhere

H
Before I got banned from Twitter, I followed Shatner and he made the funniest Essex girls joke. Fascinating man.
He also said on Have i Got News that Ilfracombe is rife with prostitution, obviously not knowing the place existed before the show. Got into trouble for that, funny funny man.

Yeah? Well I was buying a couple of books at Victoria Station, walked out of the shop and Channel 4 news presenter Cathy Newman walked right into me as she wasn’t looking where she was going. She then made a rude noise like it was all my fault and stormed off. Beat that!!!

IMG_5244.gif

The list just seems to be a list of people Moz met that he felt a bit awed by - even though he slagged some of them off.

As a boxing fan Moz seems to be referencing John L Sullivan.

Sullivan, along with a few baseball players, like Mike "King" Kelly, became the first real media superstars in U.S. history in the late 19th century. Vaudeville entertainers sang a song called, "Let me Shake the Hand that Shook the Hand of John L. Sullivan."

Wha? Moz and Mel isn't a revelation. Here with Tom Jones.

60e818432ab4ff1c5d5ad68e8ccec7ae.jpg

Not a revelation that they met, but that Gibson would rank on Morrissey’s celebrity royalty list. I don’t think anyone on it is younger than Morrissey, and Gibson is one of the few who’s from his own generation.

The Union Jack + Morrissey wanted to cover "Can't explain" on a planned cover EP 1997. "Popa Jack" f.e. has lots of explosive Who trademarks. But is he really in need to list all of the famous people he has met to demonstrate his relevance? Poor (again).
I’m pretty sure there was speculation Townshend was wanted, by Morrissey, to produce Maladjusted. Perhaps negotiations extended to a meeting?

Yeah? Well I was buying a couple of books at Victoria Station, walked out of the shop and Channel 4 news presenter Cathy Newman walked right into me as she wasn’t looking where she was going. She then made a rude noise like it was all my fault and stormed off. Beat that!!!

View attachment 100157
Well, Simon Le Bon walked into me at a gig years ago, anyone else and i would've had the right hump, but it was Simon so i didn't mind, spent the rest of the night boasting about it lol, sad.
He didn't apologise either, bastard 🤣

Back
Top Bottom