Spotted Jesse at the Cat & Fiddle today

:popcorn:

Is the Cat and Fiddle an English theme pub in Hollywood?

I notice from their web site that they are showing the Champions League Final today with traditional English breakfast and the tomorrow is 'traditional roast beef with Yorkshire pudding' - I imagine that is 'traditional' if you are from Huddersfield, but not if you are from Hollywood :) (Is anyone actually 'from' Hollywood, or do people just end up there?)

Dave

I notice from their web site that they are showing the Champions League Final today with traditional English breakfast and the tomorrow is 'traditional roast beef with Yorkshire pudding' - I imagine that is 'traditional' if you are from Huddersfield, but not if you are from Hollywood :) (Is anyone actually 'from' Hollywood, or do people just end up there?)

Dave

Yep, thats about the gist of it. When I travelled in the States (10 years ago) I kept getting asked "Oh your British? I bet you'd love a pint of John Bull?" (I think it was called John Bull?) to which I would always get the same puzzled expression when I replied that I had never heard of it.

Yep, thats about the gist of it. When I travelled in the States (10 years ago) I kept getting asked "Oh your British? I bet you'd love a pint of John Bull?" (I think it was called John Bull?) to which I would always get the same puzzled expression when I replied that I had never heard of it.

Aye,theyre a bit thick these septics

Dave

I would have thought so Dave.A bit like the "Seamus O'Flanagans" and "Mary O'Houlihans" pubs over here.The ones with the plastic shillaley (or however you spell it)over the bar and Gaelic plastered everywhere that noone can understand.

Dave

Both my dad and mom were born less than 30 miles from Hollywood. Does that count? My dad hates Hollywood. He says Hollywood is where the aliens are. :p

I confess I'd rather Alain and Boz but I don't think Jesse is so worse.
Someone was talking about Alain's changes at Smiths changes. Then I post two for you compare them with original ones - which, I guess, live in your minds:
Is It really so strang? (Chile 2000)

Rubber Ring (Manchester 2004)

Surely Alain is as good songwritter as Boz or Marr. And these guys are really nicer than Jesse. But I reckon that Jesse made good songs to Morrissey as I just want to see the boy happy, I'm ok by myself. Guys, be fair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any videos of Alain playing "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore?" Always wanted to hear a solo version of that one. They only did it during the Oye Esteban tour, correct?

Morrissey has never done it solo before.

Thanks for the correction Mcrickson; I must have gotten it confused with another Meat Is Murder song from that tour...he did so many different Smiths songs during that era. Thanks for your knowledge!

Thanks for the correction Mcrickson; I must have gotten it confused with another Meat Is Murder song from that tour...he did so many different Smiths songs during that era. Thanks for your knowledge!

No problem. In scanning briefly over passionsjustlikemine.com's entry for the Oye Esteban tour, it looks like the only "Meat is Murder" song played throughout the tour was "Meat is Murder."

No problem. In scanning briefly over passionsjustlikemine.com's entry for the Oye Esteban tour, it looks like the only "Meat is Murder" song played throughout the tour was "Meat is Murder."

Which was f***ing awesome, by the way..I just wish Alain had played more of an intricate solo and less guitar distortion at the end of the song.

I think it's great that people get recognition but the most respected experts will disagree so it's just pointless to show credentials. Also I have no awards so it's not fair.

I think it's great that people get recognition but the most respected experts will disagree so it's just pointless to show credentials. Also I have no awards so it's not fair.

You never competed in a Spelling Bee, Dave?

If some guy no one has heard of other than Youtube (Daniel Earwicker) can replicate the sound, why can't Jesse? Because Jesse isn't any good...

Blame it on your God, Morrissey.

Do you really think that Jesse plays the song any way he wants to? No. Moz tells him how he wants it played and Moz gives the final OK. If Moz wanted a Rickenbacker playing lead I am sure there woulda been money lying around to buy one.

It's quite good reading the opinions of others on the renditions of Smiths/early solo work by the current musicians. As far as I'm aware as a semi-retired Morrissey fan - Alain is the better writer whilst Jesse is the more aesthetically pleasing shredder (in Morrissey's opinion, most likely). I like the current band actually - the rhythm section is great.

Also, I cannot believe two posters spent two thread pages arguing over a guitar solo. Wow.

"You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side" is one of my favorite songs and I loved the live rendition of it during the Your Arsenal era. I just watched the "live in the studio" version of that era and it's just so fantastic. And then I stumbled onto the 2007 Greatest Hits version and what the hell happened?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom