The Capitalists' Commiseration Thread

Inspired by a comment from Grim a few days ago, I figured it's time for the money-grubbing, bourgeois bastards of the world to have a thread of their own.

How is your money invested? How shittily have your investments done this year? Remember the glory days?

My main retirement account, which is where the vast majority of my investments are, is down 22% since January 1st. In fact, I think the ROI is actually negative for the first time in the 8 years since I started this one.

On the other hand, my Berkshire Hathaway stock is way, way up. Warren Buffet can do no wrong.

I await the oft-touted collapse of capitalism, as espoused frequently on these boards, with a great big :rolleyes:.

I have an aggressive 403(b) that is 80% stocks. Guess what? I lost money!

Well, Warren is a genius. BH is way up because Warren showed its financial strength by backing goldman sachs w/ that 5 bil.

edit: so what? I lost money I CARE! I never made any. I lost some of what I put in!

edit: so what? I lost money I CARE! I never made any. I lost some of what I put in!

But you can't touch it for decades, anyway. It's all on paper until the day you retire. And if you're putting money in on a regular basis (i.e. with each paycheck), you're getting a shitload more shares for the buck right now than you were in the past.

looking at my portfolio,i have become about 14,000 dollars poorer,but its mainly on paper,and one needs to expects ups and downs,I will be more worried one day many years from now when i want that money.
I feel no need to panic,i have what was once my parents summer place.no bank owns it,i do,so i wont be homeless no matter how bad it gets.i am just happy i finally sucked it up and spoke to my step dad and took what was rightfully mine.knowing you will always have a roof over your head is a good feeling.now if only i could be motivated to actually do something with my life.:p

I hope governments around the world will now be able to stridently regulate the 'free' market without being accused of rampant communism.

Coiff.

It's a great time to buy if only one knows what to buy. Perhaps some retail stocks soon (too early to tell right now)

Dump anything even remotely connected to "luxury" spending. Buy Wal-Mart. Pretty soon, that's the only place any of us will be able to afford.

too late to dump these stocks. they're already down. your advice was valid a year ago. Now it's hold and wait for a rebound.

the retail i own isn't luxury but definitely takes a hit in hard times. i think you're being over dramatic. Wal-mart? i would never shop there for clothing for example

too late to dump these stocks. they're already down. your advice was valid a year ago. Now it's hold and wait for a rebound.

the retail i own isn't luxury but definitely takes a hit in hard times. i think you're being over dramatic. Wal-mart? i would never shop there for clothing for example

i bought some funky heels there last week for 16.99!! :)

just because you don't,and i also do not shop at wal-mart, it is a great stock,as millions of americans do shop there, no matter how the economy is, they are an evil company, but in sheer capitalism terms,they are always a safe bet.

But you can't touch it for decades, anyway. It's all on paper until the day you retire. And if you're putting money in on a regular basis (i.e. with each paycheck), you're getting a shitload more shares for the buck right now than you were in the past.

true. its still hard to look at negative signs on my quarterly reports.
I own Citigroup stock.

they are ok so far. They are taking over Wachovia.

Why? I do it all the time. That's where 95% of my clothes come from.

is it like...good looking or casual, work-in-the-garden clothing?

Do you have a garden? i'm not voting for anyone who is not down to earth.:D

Do you have a garden? i'm not voting for anyone who is not down to earth.:D

I have to agree with wink, i used to buy clothes at walmart, but now if its not workout clothing, i get it at target. the walmart clothes are so much cheaper and wear out far too quickly.

I've pretty much stopped shopping at walmart altogether, because here, they are dirty and the people are totally rude and lazy and unhelpful. In FL it was my favorite store, haha!

It's more like "I don't have very much money and I'm not about to spend more than twenty dollars on any item of clothing" clothing. I'd rather be able to eat more than potato chips.

Good thing I was half kidding. Anybody who picks & chooses individual stocks is just asking for a beatdown. Mutual funds (especially balanced funds) are where it's at.

I love Wal-Mart. Not for clothes, but for everything else.

Good thing I was half kidding. Anybody who picks & chooses individual stocks is just asking for a beatdown. Mutual funds (especially balanced funds) are where it's at.

i have some random-ass HOme depot funds at salomon smith barney, who recently dropped the solomon, so there you go. I have NO idea how much they are worth and they are still in my maiden name which is why I have no idea what is going on with them.

Back
Top Bottom