The heart feels free.........

I always skipped "Seasick, Yet Still Docked" when listening to Your Arsenal - I found it boring and repetitive.

Drew, I don't know if you remember our conversation at S&G on May 6th 2006, but you told me to give "Seasick.." a closer listen. I did and now it's one of my faves.

Yes, I'm stupid :o.

Love
-crsp-

SERIOUSLY??? I LOVE Speedway and I think it is amazing! The drum beat on there is incredible and the dramatic beginning. Oh That is a fantastic piece of music!

I know, I know... I like the beginning. But all in all, out of all of his songs Speedway would be in the first 80 or so, it's not that I hate it...
I'm also waiting for Jack the Ripper to kick in.
Others, like The youngest..., I will never like.

I've just listened to the World of Morrissey, my first ever Moz-cd. And I had the exact same feeling as I did when I listened to it for the first time. Such a great compliation - Whatever Happens I Love You got me right away.

That happened to me too & quite recently. Have A Go Merchant is one of my favourite Morrissey songs (it contains my favourite line from a Morrissey song) but my old World Of cd was scratched to death & I only just got round to buying it again. I got quite a shock from The Loop too. I forgot how great it is.

Sad to say, I doubt Dear God... will ever grow on me. Bad bad BAD production & the 'explosive kegs' line always makes me cringe.

it took hearing "I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now" live three nights in a row in Pasadena to click for me. I was thrilled to get a very nice sounding official live version from one of the singles. (Future I thnk.) It blows the album version to shreds.

Sad to say, I doubt Dear God... will ever grow on me. Bad bad BAD production & the 'explosive kegs' line always makes me cringe.

All due respect to Mr. Visconti but I think production on ROTT on a whole is pretty shoddy. It sounds quite tinny. No muscle to it.

I know, I know... I like the beginning. But all in all, out of all of his songs Speedway would be in the first 80 or so, it's not that I hate it...
To be honest I like the live 'introducing..' version of Speedway better than the album version. It's more intense.

I guess "Speedway" still has to grow on me. It's too bulky and sturdy and just never caught me. Same old story.

However, his recent live renditions of "The Last Of The Famous Int'l Playboys" absolutely rocked. Never cared for the studio version.

All due respect to Mr. Visconti but I think production on ROTT on a whole is pretty shoddy. It sounds quite tinny. No muscle to it.

I actually love the production on ROTT. I think it is vital to the message and artistic vaule of the album, it compliments it perfectly. However, I am not a fan of Jerry Finn, at least not on YATQ. It sounds cheap and seems to limit the songs, which are really really great songs.

Agreed, especially when it comes to 'I will see you in far off places'. That could have been produced so much better. When the bass kicks in it kind of fades behind the vocals and the guitars get a bit washed out. Just my opinion though :rolleyes:

Trouble Loves Me recently magically re-appeared when I needed it most.

This happens to me a lot with his songs. Sometimes they lie in wait and then BAM!, seemingly out of nowhere, you're on the floor reeling. He's sneaky that way.

agreed :)

Sorry Harsh Truth I don't agree. Actually I always thought that the Visconti production was disliked on this board because it was too muscley ie. too powerful - I'm thinking 'Far Off Places' here - and not close enough to the jingly jangly Smiths type sound.

I actually admire Visconti's work (and Jerry Finn's!) - maybe Morrissey should give Tony a call...

Well the mix is cack on ROTT, IMO.

Sorry Harsh Truth I don't agree.

No need to be sorry!

The glaring example is the kickoff to "the Youngest Was the Most Loved." After the sirens at the very beginning the song should just come on with guns blazing. However, instead of a lion-like entrance is sort of limps in like lamb. Live, however, this song just plain rocks - which is good. :guitar:

I know this probably makes no sense but its something I've always noticed. "You Have Killed Me" (an excellent song in my opinion) suffers from a weak sound. It just doesn't sound very full and vibrant.

Maybe its the mix as someone else noted.... could very well be.

The glaring example is the kickoff to "the Youngest Was the Most Loved." After the sirens at the very beginning the song should just come on with guns blazing. However, instead of a lion-like entrance is sort of limps in like lamb. Live, however, this song just plain rocks

I agree it rocks!

I think this is an arrangement issue however; we get the sirens then a few bars of bass guitar before 'Youngest...' kicks in proper. You're just saying you'd have preferred this intro without the bass guitar bit.

However, re: the mix - I would say generally that the vocals are a bit loud. This, I think, is Tony Visconti's realisation that people listening to a Morrissey album will be listening to HIM first and foremost, not the band.

Spot on again Mr. Visconti!

I agree it rocks!
You're just saying you'd have preferred this intro without the bass guitar bit.

No, I mispsoke slightly - I love the bass bit. I'm talking about when the rest of the band comes in - it seems too quiet.

I always skipped "Seasick, Yet Still Docked" when listening to Your Arsenal - I found it boring and repetitive.

Drew, I don't know if you remember our conversation at S&G on May 6th 2006, but you told me to give "Seasick.." a closer listen. I did and now it's one of my faves.

Yes, I'm stupid :o.

Love
-crsp-

Yeah, that rings a drunken last orders bell in my head.

Nobody Loves Us

It gets me every single time I hear it. I had it on in my car last night. I cranked up the volume and drove home the whole way with goosebumps.

His voice, the lyrics, the notes he hits, backed by that incredible music… Sheer perfection.

Lucky Lisp for me.
I once owned a 1988 handwritten International Playboys 10" studio Acetate, but had never played it for a couple of reasons.. the surface lacquer deteriorates quickly if it is played, plus my vinyl turntable was crap.
I took it to a friend who had a professional system - and played it once to record it to cd (I wanted to check if this version was the same as the official release).
He put the b-side on first.. it was Lucky Lisp.
The music totally filled the room - it was fantastic. I saw that track in a different light that afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom