The Smiths’ 30 greatest songs chosen by their famous fans - UNCUT

Re: The Smiths’ 30 greatest songs chosen by their famous fans, UNCUT!

Thank you! Will be sneaking peeks at this during work.

Re:

Thanks very much for the link, but it was an old article published in March 2007.

They could've asked 30 greatest songs of Morrissey.

Last edited:
Re:

Wow, that was a great read. So many thoughtful words! I was expecting to click and just see a list of titles and names, but here I am all sniffly and emotional.

Thanks for sharing this!!

Re:

Thanks very much for the link.

They could've asked 30 greatest songs of Morrissey.

The Smiths songs are generally much better. Morrissey as a solo artist doesn't have 30 great songs, and musicians wouldn't know his stuff even a fraction as well as The Smiths.

Last edited:
I'll take a break from The Smiths then I'll revisit. And every time I'm blown away at just how good they were.

No "paint a vulgar picture" in this list, which i'd have in my top 5 any day of the week. Granted its hard to compile a list like this but "Well I wonder" should deffo be in there, reel around should be higher, as should "I know it's over" which would be in my top 3. No "rusholme ruffians" either, good to see "this night has opened my eyes" deservedly in the top 10. "Girl Afraid" should be there too. As for morrissey not having 30 great solo songs, I could do a list in ten minutes of 30 belters from moz, even his b-sides are class, from "sister I'm a poet" "I know very well.." "I'd love to", songs like "michaels bones" are also great IMO, I agree they're not mainstream and the general public wont have heard half of them but doesn't mean they arnt great.

Last edited:
agreed about the solo songs and b-sides. for example i love my solo self made b-sides comp of songs not already collected on a single disk by themselves.

now i am a was
at amber
boxers
girl least likely to
my love life
sister im a poet
mexico
the public image
i am two people

etc etc all fantastic. especially, (just from the list above), my love life, boxers at amber and girl least likely to. all stupidly good songs

I do agree with the songs missing! I think they took the people that like them and include the song like the most or meant much for them! Sometimes you choose a special song for something that is linked with your existence in the period you listen to the song. If you try to take it objective I think is impossible to rate a best song list. That can happen with an album that you have several songs but rank list of best songs it's a hard job IMO and it should be avoid by the papers. But you know....
No "paint a vulgar picture" in this list, which i'd have in my top 5 any day of the week. Granted its hard to compile a list like this but "Well I wonder" should deffo be in there, reel around should be higher, as should "I know it's over" which would be in my top 3. No "rusholme ruffians" either, good to see "this night has opened my eyes" deservedly in the top 10. "Girl Afraid" should be there too. As for morrissey not having 30 great solo songs, I could do a list in ten minutes of 30 belters from moz, even his b-sides are class, from "sister I'm a poet" "I know very well.." "I'd love to", songs like "michaels bones" are also great IMO, I agree they're not mainstream and the general public wont have heard half of them but doesn't mean they arnt great.

The Smiths’ 30 greatest songs – as chosen by the band and their famous fans - UNCUT
Carl Barât, Peter Buck, Kele Okereke (Bloc Party)....

Excerpt:

Morrissey releases his first new album since 2009, World Peace Is None Of Your Business, on Monday (July 15), so to mark his return we’ve dug out our March 2007 issue of Uncut (Take 118), and a very special piece on The Smiths. Famous fans including Ryan Adams, Craig Finn, Noel Gallagher and Ian Brown, as well as the band themselves, select the very finest songs written by Morrissey and Marr. Come on, let’s talk about precious things…

Interviews: Michael Bonner, Stephen Dalton, Simon Goddard, Rob Hughes, Sarah-jane, Damian Jones, Tim Jonze, Paul Moody, Sam Richards, Marc Spitz, Paul Stokes, Anthony Thornton, Stephen Troussé

Thanks to Dave Burgess for sharing it on www.faceboook.com/thesmithsinposters !

Attachments

• Uncut.jpg
    Uncut.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Joyce: "I had a dream the other week. Myself, Johnny, Andy and Morrissey were in a rehearsal room. We’d decided to reform and put our differences aside. Morrissey asked what we should open the set with. At exactly the same time, in stereo, Johnny and I said “Hand In Glove”. We all burst out laughing. I suppose my reasoning was because it was the first record we ever made. Then I woke up with a massive erection."

Nice list, but where in the world is "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle", "Suffer Little Children", and "Meat Is Murder"???

The three Smiths/Morrissey songs that can consistently move me to tears more than any others...

I also would have picked "Miserable Lie" and "Pretty Girls Make Graves".

I guess I am more influenced by the more raw, achingly beautiful, early Smiths. As Brett Anderson eloquently expressed in his nice review of "Real Around the Fountain", "this track perfectly captures The Smiths’ dark beauty and brooding soul".

DS

Back
Top Bottom