The Smiths added to Trump rally music (January 23, 2024)

Not sure if this is a joke: tweet says Trump added Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want to his pre-rally music in Laconia, New Hampshire.

UPDATE 12:34PM PT:

Surface posted the link:

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
This. A million times this. Too much drama on this forum. I get why Morrissey calls it toxic. 🤢

Toxic for what, this time ? Picking on a miserable, tone-deaf politician ?
People are allowed to have discussions on this site, you know.

Just what would be the point of Solo if it was filled with yes-men and pathetic suck-ups every minute of the day ?

I'm actually a little bit sad, that we didn't hear from Morrissey at this point. Of course it's his decision and he may have his reasons for it. But it would have been just nice to see them agreeing (publicly, I of course don't know if they're texting/speaking privately) on something again. It's their baby. And it would be quite an easy way for Morrissey to reclaim the Smiths for himself (and Marr), as he made clear, he would like to do. Now it's again only Marr fighting back for the Smiths legacy, which makes him once again the custodian in the public eye.
I think Morrissey has given up on Marr at this point. He’s the press darling to Moz being the black sheep.
There is really no way he can change that. Only Johnny could, but he won’t.

I think Morrissey has given up on Marr at this point. He’s the press darling to Moz being the black sheep.

How though when Morrissey asked him not to talk about him?

“This is not a rant or an hysterical bombast. It is a polite and calmly measured request: Would you please stop mentioning my name in your interviews?

Would you please, instead, discuss your own career, your own unstoppable solo achievements and your own music?

If you can, would you please just leave me out of it?

How though when Morrissey asked him not to talk about him?

“This is not a rant or an hysterical bombast. It is a polite and calmly measured request: Would you please stop mentioning my name in your interviews?

Would you please, instead, discuss your own career, your own unstoppable solo achievements and your own music?

If you can, would you please just leave me out of it?
Yes indeed, that was the end of it really.

If Johnny had wanted to he should have said something nice in support of Moz before that open letter. Chances now are zero really. And vice versa

Ironically Johnny’s response to that open letter was linking Morrissey to Trump…

Thay have just been discussing it on Jeremy Vine, saying they were his favourite band from the 80's, did a short impression of Morrissey's singing and i was then waiting for the usual slagging of Morrissey but, it didn't come, which was nice.
The clip is odd, its not a rallying type song, whatever your political leaning.
Surely you'd use Bigmouth?

It's not my song, it's their song and I'm welcome no more. ;-(
I was hit with a tinge of sadness when I first read Mike’s reply, too

“It’s their song”
I don’t care that one wrote and sang the lyrics overtop music written by the other. They were a band and those songs wouldn’t be the same without each other.

Gash, you're going to be on here insisting the silence means he's pro-Trump. I'll say he isn't. Then SER or Donnie will post something pro-Trump on Central & Morrissey will say something that can can be interpreted as pro-Trump at a gig.

That's how it usually goes.
Here, listen, this is between you, Gash the Fash, Sam the Clam, Donnie, and Misserrey Guts. Keep the rest of us out of it!

Here, listen, this is between you, Gash the Fash, Sam the Clam, Donnie, and Misserrey Guts. Keep the rest of us out of it!
That would imply she has some sort of relationship to SER, Donnie and/or Mozi. She doesn’t - other than occasionally tagging them and other members of his touring crew on Twitter. Her attempts to get close to her idol via Diddy Dodders are absolutely laughable. She’s a social media loudmouth, desperate for Morrissey’s attention, who states her opinions (the same opinions, again and again and again) as facts with absolutely no more insight than you or me.

I don't think he needs Johnny for this. We've seen in the past, that if he made a personal statement to something newsworthy, the (music) papers picked up on it (like his obituaries for Andy or Sinead O'Connor for example). I don't think it's in Johnny's might to change the public perception of Morrissey, if he talks about him or not. That's only up to Morrissey himself.

I'm actually a little bit sad, that we didn't hear from Morrissey at this point. Of course it's his decision and he may have his reasons for it.
It’s only been a day. He’s probably travelling/drinking/rehearsing/hungover. Not everyone lives their lives on Twitter & a Morrissey fansite. (Not implying you do, just that Mozi probably doesn’t)

Very shrewd is Johnny Marr. Tweet quick to fit the new cycle. 50% artist, 50% businessman. Morrissey on the other hand never plays to the gallery, 100% artist (for better or for worse).

I was hit with a tinge of sadness when I first read Mike’s reply, too

“It’s their song”
I don’t care that one wrote and sang the lyrics overtop music written by the other. They were a band and those songs wouldn’t be the same without each other.
Yeah, that's right. But maybe he just meant, that he hasn't got the songwriter credit/rights and couldn't do anything about it, even if he wanted to. Maybe it's also about respecting them having created that song and therefore should have the right to decide, who uses it or not. A third option would be that he indirectly refers to Morrissey's last message, reiterating the "Morrissey and Marr" - trope in regards to the Smiths. Maybe he simply wants to stay out of this discussion and the media/internet echo, that would pour down if he actually said something to this topic.

Maybe he will just get his minions to have words with people, or present them with a cease and desist or whatever else is within their power.
He may well post a pun induced message to central, but these things can be handled privately, I don’t see the need to publicly denounce these things to prove you’re not on Trump’s side and therefore not a ‘bad person’.

EC029491-381A-4931-B713-F7A4DD8DF720.png

Last edited:
I do not think this is the big deal some people seem to think it is. It happens all the time. Campaigns on both sides use songs, artists ask them to stop.
I also don't think there's anything to prove here, I don't think Morrissey has to say anything. Apparently this was going on for a while before Johnny knew, it's not the end of the world.

TTY related bits:

However, our societies will always hatch the ugly elements, as murdering animals is also a hysterically funny pastime in the family of Donald Trump - who will probably express outrage and disgust at the next inevitable American school shooting.

Meanwhile, Donald Thump, probably America's next President, reacts to the Orlando massacre by explaining how, if the people within the club were themselves armed with guns, then there would have been fewer casualties.

This is why Trump is everybody's enemy"
says Morrissey.

FWD.

Haven’t read through comments but I’m guessing there’s quite a few wondering if Morrissey will say something, he may well do but it doesn’t seem to occur to people these days that you can feel angry about something, delighted about something, mourn someone’s passing etc without making a statement on social media. We know he doesn’t like trump, he could say something but that also has a downside of giving trump more media attention. People can feel without having to make an online post.

Very shrewd is Johnny Marr. Tweet quick to fit the new cycle. 50% artist, 50% businessman. Morrissey on the other hand never plays to the gallery, 100% artist (for better or for worse).
Exactly. Johnny's getting better and better at this stuff, while dear old Moz is getting worse and worse at it.

We all know, though, that 100 years from now lovelorn teenagers will still be putting flowers around Morrissey's gravestone, wherever it ends up being.

It's not trump. He doesn't know about music doesn't give a sh,#about it. It Is the staff doing
Just like Morrissey has no input on Central

Bloody trump staff!

BLOODY SAM!

Trump seems like the sort of person that protects and controls his "brand" and image relentlessly, he probably hand picked those songs.

Back
Top Bottom