"There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" reaches 500 million plays milestone on Spotify (December 22, 2023)

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out is the first Smiths song to reach the 500 million plays milestone on Spotify, yesterday, making it one of the biggest streaming 80s songs on the platform. Making the mistake to never release it as a single at the time all the more painful.

Top 5 Smiths songs now are:

1. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out 501 million
2. This Charming Man 424 million
3. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now 281 million
4. How Soon Is Now? 242 million
5. Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want 212 million

Great numbers but I'd have expected HSIN to have more hits than all of them, apart from There Is A Light, maybe.

Johan de Witt :highfive:

Morrissey + :highfive:

🕯️☀️

It's still mind-blowing, almost 40 years later, that two of those five songs were the B-sides to "William...". Crazy times!
And yet the A side is a work of genius from Morrissey AND Marr...totally underrated. Nothing else like it in pop music.

I think that There is a Light That Never Goes Out is the best song ever written but even so, I'm surprised How Soon is Now? isn't number one.

On the other hand, I am in a pretty big minority of people who really don't like This Charming Man or Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now. I can't remember the last time I deliberately played either one or put one on a playlist or even a mix tape back in the 90s.

I haven’t listened to TIALTNGO for so long that I even had to listen to it now to once again see how good this song is in its performance. But HKIMN is difficult for me to listen to – the vocals are too ringing.

It's strange that "Bigmouth Strikes Again" and "I Know It's Over" weren't at the top, but I guess it's only a matter of time.

I think neither Moz nor Marr have ever done Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now live and probably never will. One of their most worldwide popular songs yet must be hard to do live I think.

I think neither Moz nor Marr have ever done Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now live and probably never will. One of their most worldwide popular songs yet must be hard to do live I think.

Johnny has been playing parts of it while promoting his book.

I'm surprised that How Soon Is Now? is only fourth. I would have guessed that it would top this list.
I’d have imagined that too. For people of a certain age, attending night clubs in the nineties, it would be the only Smiths song you might hear. If you were lucky.

Tut.

I heard Carmen can play it while she sleeps.

someone posted amounts on here a few years ago and im sure M solo songs made him £340,000 that year,sure someone has the deatals,that is a lot of dough for doing nothing.
Not sure if we can call writing and recording hundreds of songs "doing nothing" 🤔 Or was it a little joke? 😏

Not sure if we can call writing and recording hundreds of songs "doing nothing" 🤔 Or was it a little joke? 😏
well hes not writing them now,the work was done a long time ago and not the big fat checques pour in forevermore.

well hes not writing them now,the work was done a long time ago and not the big fat checques pour in forevermore.
That's the royalties' purpose if the records sell well... I prefer a talented artist like him earning from his records, to performers like Miley or Madonna who feel obliged to do trash to gain attention and sell tickets. And he also gets disadvantages from being in the spolight: being cancelled because his views don't align with mainstream conformity (and being criticised or even insulted by many people each time he says or does anything that doesn't please them).

Johnny has been playing parts of it while promoting his book.

I was at that event at John Rylands library.
Was it you that Johnny asked if you where texting by any chance ????

Benny 🇬🇧🔪

Back
Top Bottom