TTY chart hints

This is quite interesting because some time ago I tried to buy an album and there were no stocks of it in Asda, Tesco and only a very small number in HMV. This was before amazon, but the point was that it never got into the chart because no stock was in, so no one could buy it. I think I got it from Morrissons about Thursday........

it seems fair that the record label label know who the competition is. Its not Keene but Ed Sheran is very popular.

WPINOYB is a welcome relief from the latest JLO album and also a few others. Just love the new sound and the mix and production. Morrissey and Boz and Harvest have done a good job. When you listen and hear so many instruments and that haunting melody of Istanbul, you dont need me to tell you that the band can play. That means Tony Visconti's best buddy Jessie Tobias too.

At this point I wouldn't put it past him.

I've never seen an artist release a statement telling fans where to buy his album so it will chart and who his competition is. Has he done this before or is he this desperate?

He didn't write the statement. The site admin did.

I've never seen an artist release a statement telling fans where to buy his album so it will chart and who his competition is. Has he done this before or is he this desperate?

Marketing people normally do precisely this - supposedly subliminally. I'm sure artists do this sort of thing via Twitter too, but I don't partake. It's nice to see someone being honest and direct.

A band I know personally desperately wanted a No.1 album earlier this year. They spent the week of release doing HMV in-store signings, special fan-only gigs where album purchase was part of the admission and loads of radio promo interviews.

Did it work?

Yes! They sold 32,000 in the first week, No.1 BOOM!

If Morrissey is so keen to get this album in at No.1 he should be doing more promotion himself.

This is screaming -"Look, I f***ed up the tour, but I'm still worth that second album of the deal - I mean, Ed Sheeran - flavour of the month! Come on!"

The danger is that if he doesn't perform, chart-wise, this looks silly. Pride before a fall and all that. I hope he does get the chart success he craves. But don't count them chickens.

P.

I find this statement to be rather arrogant .Fans have been dumped on enough and this statement is something he should have kept to himself.It's sad that he does not seem to value or appreciate his fans unless he wants something . If he actually gave a crap he could connect with people but he chooses not to . Just dumps more on his fans.This seems rather egotistical.Very ridiculous to purposely mention your competition. No interviews. Nothing .Seriously offensive .

Yes he is. The autobiography was awfully annoying for it. You'd think in this piracy era of music that he would just let it go.

When your fall-back excuse is that every label you've ever been on has "undersold" your efforts, then chart positions might be the one thing you might try to use as evidence. Unless you start trying to point out how many G5 rentals the label made for the other horses in the stable. I agree that he should have given up this tact from the start. Instead, embrace the outsider aspect, completely decry the charts, and swaddle yourself in the statistics of live events (selling out Hollywood Bowl in negative 20 minutes or whatever). When the nature and level of your fame has been cemented for decades, do you really think a great showing some year in the charts is going to transform you into Beyonce - and would you even want it to?

The album definitely DESERVES the #1 spot, but will it get it? Who knows.

I have seen other instances where a label or management persuades people not to buy the competition for #1 though. In 2006, Victory Records issued a statement regarding the then upcoming album from Hawthorne Heights, telling people to go as far as to go to the store and HIDE cd’s by the competition (Ne-Yo I think it was). Pretty sure the band actually tried to sue the label for this and definitely severed ties with them after their follow up album.

When your fall-back excuse is that every label you've ever been on has "undersold" your efforts, then chart positions might be the one thing you might try to use as evidence. Unless you start trying to point out how many G5 rentals the label made for the other horses in the stable. I agree that he should have given up this tact from the start. Instead, embrace the outsider aspect, completely decry the charts, and swaddle yourself in the statistics of live events (selling out Hollywood Bowl in negative 20 minutes or whatever). When the nature and level of your fame has been cemented for decades, do you really think a great showing some year in the charts is going to transform you into Beyonce - and would you even want it to?

Being indie has allowed him to disappear for months at a time, as we are seeing now, and keep his relationships secret. If he wants to always be number one like all of the Beyoncé-type superstars then he will lose his privacy along with it. I highly doubt he wants that. There's always a catch, Morrissey.

Can we give chart hints back? Like, you know, do some promotion for your own album?

Last edited:
Interesting - Wikipedia states Sheeran's new album (cleverly titled as 'x') will be out on 23 June, a whole different week than Morrissey's?

Now I have to look up who exactly Ed Sheeran is.

ETA: Haha, 743,000 Youtube views on this one video. Morrissey's focked.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, with Ed sheeran releasing his album on July 15 there is no chance for a #1. This guy is extremely popular.

I'd be happy if WPINOYB gets in the top 3.

I would be happy with a top 3 album but I doubt he would be.

OK, with Ed sheeran releasing his album on July 15 there is no chance for a #1. This guy is extremely popular.

I'd be happy if WPINOYB gets in the top 3.
Where did you hear that? apparently according to wiki it's being released on the 20th in New Zealand and Aus and worldwide on the 23rd, it doesn't mention UK so i assume it will be on the 23rd.

Back
Top Bottom